Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Wenger Mods From Vic Parts?

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Old Wenger Mods From Vic Parts?
on: March 16, 2014, 08:59:35 AM
Hey guys,
As I've mentioned in other threads, this old Wenger here has been with me since I was a kid. My dad gave it to me as my first pocket knife.

I buggered the blade as a kid and dad just ground it into the shape it is now, but I want to replace it if possible. I'm also wanting to put a pair of scissors on there if possible.

What I'm wanting to know is, is it possible to stick a Victorinox blade in there as I've got a couple spare? If so, what about scissors? Keeping in mind this knife is probably 20 years old.

I don't want to take the thing apart if it's not going to work as it has some sentimental value.

Thanks.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Re: Old Wenger Mods From Vic Parts?
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:56:47 AM
I think if you want to put a Vic Blade in you would need to use one from a 84mm knife, the 91mm blade is probably too long. Also you would have to file the tang to get the open and closed blade position right.
There is also the tang thickness to think about.
Probably run into the same problem with scissors. it is possible to fit 91mm scissors into a 84mm knife but it is a rather complicated process to make them shorter on both ends and get the positions right.

If you are just after a blade, PM me as I have a few Wenger blades in my parts box and I'm sure I can spare one.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Re: Old Wenger Mods From Vic Parts?
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:52:39 PM
I have done the opposite: a 85mm Wenger Main blade into a 84mm Vic frame. It was fairly extensive, requiring the tang reprofiling, all the liners at that end of the knife to be opened up to the right diameter, opening the rivet bushing hole diameter to the right size, and finally........grinding just a small amount off the birdseye spacer at the other end of the blade, otherwise the blade tip hits it slightly and dulls the blade. All in all, it was an interesting experiment, but only one to undertake if it's a rainy afternoon, and you have all the necessary tools, Dremel, diamond bits, files, etc. I "chronicled" the lengthy saga here:
http://blogericious.blogspot.com/2013/08/twas-slow-day-at-tsa-bin.html
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:55:26 PM by neillcurrie »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88