Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

58mm colours

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Re: 58mm colours
Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 02:51:33 PM
Here is another discrepancy, 2 shades of white?
P1030287.jpg
* P1030287.jpg (Filesize: 78.94 KB)
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 04:04:58 PM
I got these from CVH with a buy of a bunch of scales. It looks to me like chocolate milk color. Not white.

Taupe maybe?

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 04:41:46 PM
Yup that sure looks like it.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 06:56:34 PM
Any updates to this thread yet RedRamage? I am going to take some photos of my Translucent Brown as compared to an Onyx soon. I also have another color variant to pose, White.

I'll try and get a new pic this weekend.  It's still sitting in my window!

Offline RedRamage

Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 07:01:20 PM

Hard to say for sure, GV.  Are these your knives?  The right one in the pic almost looks like an aftermarket scale.  The scale looks rougher then normal cellidor (might just be wear).  But I also noticed that the shield is coming up from the bottom.  And the shield appears to be sitting on top of the scale, rather than inlaid into it.  But of course it's very hard to tell from a pic.

If these are yours, does the darker white one feel like the same scale material?  Does the shield feel like it's sitting on top of the scale?

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 07:53:15 PM
I am preparing to photograph my 2 different white classics. They are both NIB right from the factory or at least from the Service center here in the US at Monroe, CT. I think GV polishes his knives and the rougher than new surface is because of that. My 2 white variations appear to be ivory/bone white and one more like Gypsum white. I should have some comparison photos shortly.

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 09:01:10 PM
As stated above I made some photos of the white color variation. As you can see in the photos they are NIB right from Victorinox Monroe, CT. The 1st 2 are plain white classics. The last one is a White SwissLite. The variation I think are different due to one being used for the advertisement models with metal inlays versus printed versions. The bone or off white(middle knife) I have seen used for the NFL and other Sports team classics with printed designs. The bright white(1st one) is one I have seen with metal inlay advertisements. Since these came from the service center they do not have any part numbers on them so no idea if there are any different numbers.

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 07:16:58 PM

Hard to say for sure, GV.  Are these your knives?  The right one in the pic almost looks like an aftermarket scale.  The scale looks rougher then normal cellidor (might just be wear).  But I also noticed that the shield is coming up from the bottom.  And the shield appears to be sitting on top of the scale, rather than inlaid into it.  But of course it's very hard to tell from a pic.

If these are yours, does the darker white one feel like the same scale material?  Does the shield feel like it's sitting on top of the scale?

These are both mine, the whiter of the two is exactly the same shade as a new white Spartan I used as a reference. The other one was bought thinking it was Taupe(which I was looking for at the time). The seller described it as white/grey. It is the same shade as the middle one in stressmaster5000`s photo. The shield has lifted slightly and sits slightly proud of the scale(which is genuine) which I think has been caused by a previous owner sanding/polishing out a logo, but that`s just a guess. I didn`t recondition the scales because it wasn`t what I was looking for.

Out of interest:http://www.thegoodstuffshop.dk/product.asp?product=29200
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

Offline RedRamage

Reply #38 on: December 29, 2014, 09:52:46 PM
Update time!!

If you'll recall earlier in this thread we discussed whether translucent brown is really just faded onyx.  We've definitely confirmed that Onyx does fade to a brownish color, but the one knife that I definitely have that faded from Onyx didn't look the same as the Translucent Brown that I had in my collection.  To test the theory I put a third trans. brown that I had which is closer to the faded Oynx that I had in my window to see what would happen.  Here's the pic from the first week:

On the right is the Onyx that was in my collection. On the right is an Onyx from my collection. The back is still pretty close to onyx.  The front is, as you can see, faded to a cool brown.  On the left is what I thought was a Translucent Brown also from my collection.  Finally in middle is the third knife that I'm testing.

Now just over nine months later:

I think there's a pretty big difference now in the middle knife.  I think it's warmed up a lot more and is a lot closer to the brown on the left.  This obviously isn't proof positive that there wasn't a translucent brown that was ever made, but I think this is pretty darn close to confirming that Onyx CAN become very close to what we traditionally thought was trans. brown.  When you combine this with the fact that I've never found a "new" trans. brown as well as never seen a catalog option for trans. brown...  Well, I personally think it's safe to say that there isn't a real trans. brown.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 09:59:05 PM
Thanks for testing this out. :hatsoff:

Now, how does one keep a onyx scale black? :think: Keep it in a box and never look at it? Or in a darkroom? :doh:

Offline RedRamage

Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 10:31:20 PM
Good question... After I noticed that my Onyx had faded I got a new Onyx.  I keep it in a display case that spends 99% of it's time in my closet covered by another display case so the exposure to light is exceedingly small:

So far it's stayed pretty black, but I do wonder if it'll stay that way.  Might just have to get a new Onyx every five years or so to keep the collection up to date. ???

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 31, 2014, 01:31:30 AM
Thanks for sharing. I hope I am around in 5 years for the next update.  :pok:

de Offline Schneider

Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 11:42:08 PM
Thanks for the testing. I wanted to get those scales in 91mm for my EDC CT34 but couldn't find them. Very sorry to see them fade like that. Won't be getting any then.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%