Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

swisstool spirit x scissor vs leatherman

Offline cnlson

swisstool spirit x scissor vs leatherman
on: August 07, 2023, 06:18:25 AM
so i printed out a shipping label and needed to cut it out and of course the wife had nabbed my full size fiskars so i pulled out my leatherman charge and started cutting and while i was with those small scissors I thought, everyone says the swisstool scissors are better, so i pulled out the swisstool spirit x i have in my tool drawer. but trying to cut on a line did not work. there was something weird with them. so i pulled out one of the swisstool x i have and it worked like the charge so after i finished scissoring, of course i found the scissors buried under a piece of paper on my desk where i had left them. and after putting them back where they belong i looked at all 3 of the multitool scissors and found something interesting.

The spirit scissors are wrong. no matter if you go lever up or lever down you cannot see where the cutting edge is going to land. because the edge you line up is on the right side rather than the left side. So i guess they would be ok for my wife who is a lefty but they are impossible for me. The leatherman and all 3 of the swisstools i have, the 2 x's old and brand new, and the rs are right handed. so i can see to line up the edge with the cutting edge of the scissor.

in the picture you can see that the spirit has the cutting edge on the right had side and the swisstool has it on the left along with the charge.

20230806_230129.jpg
* 20230806_230129.jpg (Filesize: 266.92 KB)

cutting rope or other things that do not require precision it wouldn't matter but cutting on the line it's impossible to cut precisely.

does anyone else have this issue?

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: swisstool spirit x scissor vs leatherman
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 01:34:01 PM
Just MHO, scissors on MultiTools is wasted utility.  A 2” Wharncliff or Lambfoot blade on a flat surface cuts straighter and cleaner.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

Offline cnlson

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 03:33:26 PM
Just MHO, scissors on MultiTools is wasted utility.  A 2” Wharncliff or Lambfoot blade on a flat surface cuts straighter and cleaner.

A fair point, but multitools are usually a tool of last resort, so when you have to use them it's good to know their limitations. With my Leatherman it's the scissor blade shortness, with the spirit it's that I can't track how close to the edge the blade is, with the swisstool neither of those issues intrude

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 03:43:16 PM
Has Vic ever said why they went and designed an entirely new (bad) scissor for the Spirit when they had a half dozen great versions to pick from already?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 04:13:20 PM
Has Vic ever said why they went and designed an entirely new (bad) scissor for the Spirit when they had a half dozen great versions to pick from already?
Not really sure.  Perhaps fitting existing straight designs into the Spirit’s curved handles was an issue?

00 Offline Mad Scientist

Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 03:35:28 AM
I've seen someone mention how the Spirit scissors are a bit more stout than the "standard" Victorinox style, and function more like light-duty snips than regular scissors.

Offline cnlson

Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 02:58:41 PM
I've seen someone mention how the Spirit scissors are a bit more stout than the "standard" Victorinox style, and function more like light-duty snips than regular scissors.

That , I'd agree with. But it's weird they reversed the jaws.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 06:57:07 PM
Part of the fun of following Victorinox is how utterly baffling they are. I don't agree with every decision LM, Gerber, Case, etc. make, but you can generally follow the broad strokes of their decision . Victorinox is like, "Do you guys want scissors?" And we're all like, "84mm!?" and then they go, "lol no, have these weird ones on the Spirit!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
February Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: $183.42
PayPal Fees: $9.67
Net Balance: $173.75
Below Goal: $126.25
Site Currency: USD
58%