Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

one hand challenge

styx · 34 · 2479

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
one hand challenge
on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:36 AM
While listening to a certain podcast and later watching 127 hours, some things became fairly - get a quality multitool.
However my lovely little smartass girlfriend gave me a challenge which I would like to extend to all of you willing to partake in this little boredom breaker.

Rules are simple:
- any multitool, swiss army knife like implement and folding knife are eligible*
- at least 1 blade, saw and file have to be opened by using only one hand
- using other parts of your body, clothing and ground is allowed
- using other people to help you is not

Tables, counter tops and things like that are debatable but even in a messed up situation you'd have a rock on your other hand so why not use it to help out.

The basic idea was to try out the tools and folders that tend to go with me to the places where some messed up situation just might happen.

My results are the following:
- Vic Farmer - opened with left and right hand
- Vic Hunter - opened with left and right hand
- Vic Spirit X - opened with right hand (all requested implements)
- Douk Douk - failed miserably
- Schrade Old Timer - opened with both hands

As you can see there is a * in the rules. It's quite simple to take a modern one hand opening folder so that isn't exactly challenging

Lets see what you can do. And this just might help people review MTs later on down the line
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Dale

Re: one hand challenge
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 12:49:25 PM
I've so got this! I'm a pro... oh wait, we're talking bout MT's ? NEVERMIND

I'm thinking of the immortal words of Socrates.. He said.. " I drank what?"

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 12:52:17 PM
As much as I hate the Gerber Flik, isn't the saw on that OH open-able?
SAW

hr Offline styx

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:14:09 PM
That's where Gerber and LM OHT might have a huge advantage

Dale, don't worry. We'll say you're making a hillbilly fishing reel, so you got this

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 02:37:29 PM
Too easy. :P

:whistle:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 02:42:33 PM
Challenge accepted!

I tried the challenge on the following tools that usually see daily carry:
Belt Knife: no problems left or right hand (wasn't expecting any as I do this regularly)
Leatherman OHT: no problems left or right (wasn't expecting any but thought I should test to see if this tool really is one-handed and ambidextrous)
Gerber MP600: little finicky getting some of the smaller inside tools out, but doable due to the retention not being nail-breaking hard.
Vic Compact: difficult right-handed, very difficult left-handed. I don't see this as a primary tool and it is usually accompanying much more capable tools, so I'm not too worried.
Benchmade 915 Triage: blade was easy to open and close with both hands (no surprise as it's designed this way), hook was easy right-handed and not bad with the left hand, just needed to slow down and think it through.
Bic Lighter: easy enough with both hands (I've practiced this one before).
Leatherman ReCharge: Pliers and outside tools, no problem. Inner tools were more difficult but doable with some time.

Interesting challenge. Glad to know what I can/can't access on the tools with one hand.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 03:56:51 PM
As much as I hate the Gerber Flik, isn't the saw on that OH open-able?
Yes, and the blades and scissors. And if your good, everything on a Flik is OHO.

that's us mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 04:13:04 PM
On my Charge ALX, alll outside tools are OHO-able WITH GLOVES ON.

Inside tools:  The bit drivers are OHO-able and even doable with gloves on IF there's a seam that can catch the nubbin.  I have never opened the can opener on the Charge.  Just no need.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 04:15:28 PM
From most difficult to easiest for me...

Vic Farmer. The blade was dangerously difficult for me with either hand. Some work on 'technique' made it a little better, but I was afraid I was going to cut myself opening the blade. Everything else was doable either hand. Not easy, though.

Wenger Evogrip 17: No real problems on any tool, but I had to take multiple attempts on the cap lifter with my left hand for some reason. No real difference left or right.

Leatherman PST: Not hard really, just a little awkward getting some of the tools out. I had to switch grip on it a lot. no difference left or right.

Gerber MP600: A lot easier than I thought it'd be, both deploying the tools AND unlocking them one-handed. No difference left or right.

Leatherman Sidekick: The only problem was right-hand deploying the saw, and that was just because the tool is stiff. Even then, I'd prefer it to having to shift my grip so much on the PST. Only very slight difference left or right, due to the outside deployable tools.

Vic Spirit X: The all-outside-access tools, and the fact that the weight of the tool itself will pull a tool free once you grab it made everything on this tool easy to access, left or right handed.

Leatherman Wave: If I only counted the outside access tools, (the required blade/saw/file of the challenge), then this tool was miles better than any other to use, left or right handed. The can opener on mine is difficult to deploy, and that was the same either hand, but I could deploy any tool with either hand.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 04:57:37 PM
Mr Whippy makes an interesting point. Gloves.

I know I did this challenge with bare hands. If I was wearing light gloves, I'd probably be able to achieve similar results with most of the tools. Heavy winter gloves? Not so much and I think a lot less of the tools would be accessible.

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 06:32:13 PM
That gloves part just might add the degree of difficulty to drive some people nuts

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 06:55:03 PM
That gloves part just might add the degree of difficulty to drive some people nuts

I'm going to try it when I get home today. I have several styles and weights of gloves that I wear depending on the weather.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 08:07:25 PM
I tested some of my tools some time ago when I injured my left hand. The leatherman Crater is very easy to use one handed, so is the Gerber Octane and Buck xtract.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 08:17:30 PM

OK, an old video I did a couple of years ago. I never tried to OHO a SAK with gloves though. :D

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 11:30:34 PM
SwissChamp ended the challenge like an ambidextrous Champ ...
although it prefers lefthanded OH corkscrew opening :D

One for all, all for one.

:climber:
sch.JPG
* sch.JPG (Filesize: 95.18 KB)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:32:47 PM by Caranthanus »

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 11:33:06 PM

OK, an old video I did a couple of years ago. I never tried to OHO a SAK with gloves though. :D

it was like watching a magic show! :)

hr Offline styx

Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:22 PM
it might be slight off hand

us Offline Cogito

Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 11:53:24 PM
Sidekick and Surge both passed :)

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 02:12:04 AM
Ok. Tried the same tools with light and heavy weight gloves. Pretty well got the results I was expecting.

Belt Knife: no problems left or right hand (just needed to go slow as the traction plan on some of the gloves is a bit lacking)
Leatherman OHT: easy in the light gloves, more problematic in heavy gloves especially for the drivers and can opener.
Gerber MP600: light gloves performed about as well as bare handed. Heavy gloves made inner tools a pain, but doable by pulling out the longer tools and pressing the lock tab back against my leg to raise the inner tools a bit.
Vic Compact: impossible to one hand with gloves. Was expecting this result as I couldn't reasonably manage it with bare hands.
Benchmade 915 Triage: blade was no problems in either pair, just had to go slower with the heavy mitts. Closing was a bit trickier to engage the axis lock, but still doable. Hook wasn't bad at all with gloves as it was easy to catch the stud on the material. Closing was also easy as it is just a detent and no lock.
Bic Lighter: didn't do this one as the gloves would melt/catch fire that close to the flame and hot metal as they make my fingers much fatter than when bare handed.
Leatherman ReCharge: Pliers and outside tools were again no problem. Inner tools were difficult with light gloves and very difficult with heavy gloves.

hr Offline styx

Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 12:02:11 PM
I failed miserably with heavy gloves. could be because they don't really fit but still failed.

good thing for this...

toolslinger, I missed what exactly is your ReCharge?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 12:07:25 PM
Do fingerless gloves count?

that's us mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 12:16:14 PM
OK, I dare you!

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 12:22:58 PM
Fingerless gloves are basically bare hands for tool use. Boxing gloves would be pretty well impossible to get the tools out, let alone do anything with them once they were deployed. (I also don't have or know anyone who has boxing gloves...)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:26:07 PM by Toolslinger »

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 12:25:31 PM
My ReCharge is a modified Charge TTi (old style handle scales).

Tool Load Out
ReBar plier head instead of standard plier head
S30v Plain blade
440c Serrated blade
Diamond File
Wood Saw
Large Bit Driver
Small Flathead from ReBar
Scissors
Large Flathead
Awl from ReBar

I'm hoping to close a deal on a decent camera before the weekend. My last deal fell through. Then I can post a dedicated thread with pics :tu:.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 01:28:36 PM
Fingerless gloves are basically bare hands for tool use. Boxing gloves would be pretty well impossible to get the tools out, let alone do anything with them once they were deployed. (I also don't have or know anyone who has boxing gloves...)

Well, imagine you are at a boxing match and you win and suddenly everyone start shouting because they think you cheated and you have to run and you go into a small room with only a small window with a metal grid screwed over it and you only have a SwissChamp on a table nearby and they are breaking the door down and one of your hands is holding the door and you only have one hand to open the knife. It's possible...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 01:48:40 PM
It could happen.

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 01:52:06 PM
My ReCharge is a modified Charge TTi (old style handle scales).

Tool Load Out
ReBar plier head instead of standard plier head
S30v Plain blade
440c Serrated blade
Diamond File
Wood Saw
Large Bit Driver
Small Flathead from ReBar
Scissors
Large Flathead
Awl from ReBar

I'm hoping to close a deal on a decent camera before the weekend. My last deal fell through. Then I can post a dedicated thread with pics :tu:.

now that sounds like a LM that even I'd use

tried the Douk Douk with  gloves and it worked very well. might be psychological as it wouldn't cut me nearly as bad

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 02:07:13 PM

Well, imagine you are at a boxing match and you win and suddenly everyone start shouting because they think you cheated and you have to run and you go into a small room with only a small window with a metal grid screwed over it and you only have a SwissChamp on a table nearby and they are breaking the door down and one of your hands is holding the door and you only have one hand to open the knife. It's possible...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's possible, but at that point I'd use my teeth to undo the strap on the free hand. Even with the hands taped up underneath, I'd still be more functional.

:rofl: :rofl:

us Offline Cogito

Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 04:23:23 AM
I have boxing gloves :)

More likely scenario: You are in a bar with your friends and you have a competition for who can unscrew a screw from a table the fastest while wearing boxing gloves and using a multitool :)

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 09:08:48 AM
Skeletool:  Managed to open the blade, one scale for screwdriver mode, and both scales for pliers mode with the tool in either in free space, and close it again.  I even managed to change the bits setting the tool down on my leg and/or using my mouth to pull the bits from the driver.  :drool:  They'll go into the driver by placing them in, holding the tool up and pushing the button, but shaking them upside down won't eject them, good to know.

Wave:  Outside tools no problem, I had a little difficulty with the file with my left hand.  Secondaries, I failed to open the can opener at all and failed the large flat blade with my left hand.  I had to set the tool on my leg to manipulate the secondaries.  The Wave has the easiest pliers to open, since they can be "flung" open in a balisong-like motion.

Wingman:  No trouble at all.  In fact, it's the easiest I have.

Style CS:  Scissors, no problem. Nail file, no problem. Blade, for safety I used my leg/pants to open the blade, but I was able. Tweezers, I was able to extract using my teeth.  :drool:

I rarely if ever wear gloves, so these were all done with bare hands.

This is a good exercise.  It makes you think about how you use your multitools in emergencies.

It makes me think of another scenario, and we might start another thread about this:  The odd-hand draw.  In your EDC system as you normally carry it, can you take out a knife with either hand?

As for the boxing gloves, Strong Bad could do it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:18:41 AM by av8r1 »
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99