Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

one hand challenge

styx · 34 · 2480

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: one hand challenge
Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 11:13:42 AM
that actually might make for an interesting challenge. now just to find my pants and get on it....
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 11:16:39 AM
Fingerless gloves are basically bare hands for tool use. Boxing gloves would be pretty well impossible to get the tools out, let alone do anything with them once they were deployed. (I also don't have or know anyone who has boxing gloves...)

Well, imagine you are at a boxing match and you win and suddenly everyone start shouting because they think you cheated and you have to run and you go into a small room with only a small window with a metal grid screwed over it and you only have a SwissChamp on a table nearby and they are breaking the door down and one of your hands is holding the door and you only have one hand to open the knife. It's possible...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's possible, but at that point I'd use my teeth to undo the strap on the free hand. Even with the hands taped up underneath, I'd still be more functional.

:rofl: :rofl:

You couldn't because someone had put crazyglue on your mouth protector.
 :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #32 on: March 21, 2014, 01:52:10 PM
It makes me think of another scenario, and we might start another thread about this:  The odd-hand draw.  In your EDC system as you normally carry it, can you take out a knife with either hand?

As long as the tool or pocket/pouch where the tool is located is not pinned beneath my body, I can draw any of my tools with my off-hand. It may not be as fast, but it is definitely doable.

Off the top of my head some examples of restricted access include:
-Sitting in the car (makes pockets less usable, can restrict some belt tools)
-Lying down (if you can't roll, anything between you and the ground becomes very awkward to access)
-Wearing a large/bulky jacket (can impede access to things on a belt or in a pocket depending on style/lenght)
-Wearing a pack (can restrict belt access due to size/position)

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 04:09:03 PM
It makes me think of another scenario, and we might start another thread about this:  The odd-hand draw.  In your EDC system as you normally carry it, can you take out a knife with either hand?

As long as the tool or pocket/pouch where the tool is located is not pinned beneath my body, I can draw any of my tools with my off-hand. It may not be as fast, but it is definitely doable.

Off the top of my head some examples of restricted access include:
-Sitting in the car (makes pockets less usable, can restrict some belt tools)
-Lying down (if you can't roll, anything between you and the ground becomes very awkward to access)
-Wearing a large/bulky jacket (can impede access to things on a belt or in a pocket depending on style/lenght)
-Wearing a pack (can restrict belt access due to size/position)

I carry both Skeletool and Style CS in my right hip pocket, Skeletool clipped to the pocket as designed, and the Style down inside.

In sticking with the 127 hours theme, I tried three scenarios where my right hand was "stuck" to the wall or floor and I had to use my left hand to get a knife out and cut it free.  I tried standing up with my hand "stuck" to the wall at eye level, laying on my right side with my hand "stuck" under something, and laying on my stomach with my hand "stuck" under something.  The first two were really easy, on my stomach took some yoga that I'm sure would have looked hilarious.  In no case could I fish the smaller tool out of the bottom of my pocket. I just realized how ridiculous I must have looked trying to reach into my right hip pocket with my left hand. Comedy careers have been built on less.

My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87