Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bought my first SOG

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Bought my first SOG
on: December 26, 2006, 06:03:34 AM
Bought it...don't have it just yet though.  I can't tell from the pic, but it's apparently the EOD version...should be cool.  I'm thinkning of replaceing the serrated blade with scissors. 

I think $65 is a fair price..
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-SOG-EOD-POWERLOCK-MULTI-TOOL-BLACK_W0QQitemZ180066948121QQihZ008QQcategoryZ88920QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: Bought my first SOG
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 06:25:58 AM
Congrats, BO PowerLock is a sweet tool :)
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 01:49:20 PM
Make sure to let us know what you think of it when it arrives!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 03:25:22 PM
A nylon sheath AND a leather sheath?! I've never seen both in one package deal before.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 03:47:06 PM
It might be from a private sale (hence eBay) and the original owner may have added the second sheath?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 04:37:17 PM
Yea, it's not from any official site..just some guy selling it on ebay...says it's new, so we'll see.  I'm not too fond of nylon sheaths, so I'm glad it came with the leather one. 

Is that grease packet a one shot deal, or are you supposed to apply a little every few weeks?
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 04:44:07 PM
I have no idea... never had a grease packet with mine and they work fine.

Def

Offline Steel

Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 06:22:55 PM
I try to keep the Pivot Point on my Powerlock oiled as much as possible whenever I get a chance I clean it and Oil it

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 02:24:12 AM
Mine never sees oil either and it seems to have held up well enough
Yabba dabba doo!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 01:11:45 AM
Whoohoo that was fast..got it today.  Great tool although it needs some cleanup and a drop of grease (there's lint/crud built up where the locking bar falls into the tools groove)

Compared to the Gerber 600's I own, this seems like it covers more tool selection...and the Phillips head isn't as short as the Gerbers, so I can get into recessed areas (like radios that need to be taken apart, lots of the molded plastic has deep recesses to the screws)

The SOG is more "difficult" in opening the pliers and tools, but that's never been an issue with me...whether it's 2 seconds to open a Gerber, or 4 seconds to open the SOG...it's open..same with the tools; the SOG has every tool pop out, wheras the Gerbers arent as sticky..again, a matter of seconds.  Some people write a whole paragraph in reviews about how quick things can be accessed, but what job can't wait another few seconds?  (and the SOG tools feel more sturdy)

One thing I noticed was the wire cutters on the SOG cut through the insulation on a thin wire..but bent the actual wire.  It is a used tool (hasn't been abused, but has some wear on the oxide), but maybe the wire cutters were used often.  Any way I can fix this?  The plier halves are tight and there's no play, so I assume the cutters aren't sharp enough. 

The wood saw on the SOG looks like a Klingon weapon...are these huge teeth any good (haven't tested them yet)
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 01:18:01 AM
Many wire cutters on multis do the same thing.  It's been a source of frustration to me as well.

The wood saw isn't bad.  It's not the best, but it gets the job done.  You can see how it compares to a bunch of others here:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115&Itemid=35

Def

Offline plowboy

Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 11:55:38 PM
I ordered a PowerLock before Christmas, but it still isn't here....I'm eagerly waiting...

Congrats on your new tool.
 :)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 04:59:16 AM
Quick question:

Tell me if this order is on anyone elses Powerlock:

-knife blade
-bottle opener
-2 washers
-1/4" drive
-scissors

What made me question that was the difficulty opening either the blade or the opener...they both come out together no matter what...so I looked closer and saw 2 washers together.  Coulden't one washer be placed between the knife and opener?

Maybe the previous owner installed the scissors and had a tough time putting it back together, and just threw the two washers on together...
[

Offline Steel

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 05:06:16 AM
I dont have the Scissors but I had the same problem and all I did was adjusted the Tension on the bolts I losened them alittle and it fixed that problem

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 02:47:33 AM
Tell me if this order is on anyone elses Powerlock:

My S60 PowerLock has the same components in the same order.  I lubed the tools and recall loosening the bolts a little to ease the clumping.

I can open the bottle opener/screwdriver and the knife opens just a tiny amount.  However, if I open the knife, the bottle opener usually opens in parallel, too.  There is so little friction between the 2 blades that it is easy to push the unwanted blade back in the handle.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 01:28:04 AM
What made me question that was the difficulty opening either the blade or the opener...they both come out together no matter what...so I looked closer and saw 2 washers together.  Coulden't one washer be placed between the knife and opener?

If I were you Corrugated, I would take it apart and put one little washer between the two blades. It's easy to do on a SOG.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 03:28:15 AM

If I were you Corrugated, I would take it apart and put one little washer between the two blades. It's easy to do on a SOG.

Whoa...I just got done washing the grease from my hands and putting my tools away from doing just that..

I also loosened the bolts on both handles and the tools are opening a lot easier now...still clumping a bit, but no huge problem IMO. 
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 03:37:02 AM
Way to git 'er done!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 08:52:46 AM
I had honestly considered checking my local Home Depot for similar sized washers and trying to put them between each implement to reduce clumping.  Unfortunately that would mean that I would have to put up with a few less options to make space.  Might make for an intersting project though, at least to see if it's feasable.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%