Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Card

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Card
on: May 01, 2014, 02:52:25 AM
When is Gerber going to stop making this stuff? More importantly, when am I going to stop buying it?

Well I guess that won't happen today, as I just received my latest Bear Grylls item. Now I am thinking there can only be so many product placements for Bear, but I keep getting surprised by new items. Gerber, please stop making this and I promise I will stop buying it...because I almost hate myself every-time I buy something for the collection.  :facepalm:

Anyways, enough of my grumpiness and onto the new acquisition. Everyone, meet the Gerber Bear Grylls Survival card. Now I am sure most of you have probably realized that I have a thing for card type multitiools. Heaven knows I have enough of them in my collection. When I spied this, I just had to have it. It met two criteria for me, it was a Bear item (in for a penny in for a pound, and I am too deep now to pull back anyhow), and it is a card multi-tool. That is up to the point when it came across my door's threshold and into my hands.

You see, the card looks like every other Bear Grylls item that Gerber is pushing. It even comes with that stupid little survival guide. Like many other items, there is no place to actually carry the little survival guide, which to my mind, make said survival guide moot.

If that wasn't bad enough, I was absolutely floored at the thickness of this card. They should have called this thing a brick!

Flipping the brick, er card over, the underside is one single metal plate held to the backing via 6 screws. There is a bottle opener built in. Just above that is a small 1 lumen momentary one LED flashlight. If that wasn't exciting enough, there are also 3 pull out tools. A fire starter, a flat head driver, and a Phillips driver. The last tools is a pull out blade.

The pull out blade features a small cut out notch for the fire-steel. What truly annoys me with this knife however is the large hole in the handle. When I first grabbed the knife, ones first inclination is to slip a finger inside that hold. Well the orientation of that hole in regards to the blade is off. If you do this, it will push the knife blade downwards and towards your palm. The issue, I keep wanting to slip a finger in there for better purchase which throws the whole geometry off. It doesn't help that the blade is thin and awkward to hold.

So if you are hankering for a  card style multi-tool, please stay away from this one and buy yourself something from Tool logic or Victorinox. As for me, i would sooner throw this brick at a bear.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Card
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 06:24:37 AM
I think YOU might be driving Gerber's new product lines.

"What other crap can we come up with to force Chako to buy".  :rofl:

Sorry to hear it's such a disappointment, but thanks for the review. :salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 08:26:04 AM
It does look cool

taaaaaaapaaaaaaas

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 08:37:19 AM
Can't say I'm impressed.:-\  On the other hand, you still take a good looking picture Dan. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 10:33:56 AM
In all fairness I have to say, you can see the thickness in the Gerber Catalog Picture. What I really dislike is how little function it has considering its size. Its also sad to hear that the blade is so poorly designed, I for one would welcome a SwissCard with a larger blade and was thinking this would be the best feature of the BG-Card.
catalog.jpg
* catalog.jpg (Filesize: 25.24 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:09:06 PM
In all fairness I have to say, you can see the thickness in the Gerber Catalog Picture. What I really dislike is how little function it has considering its size. Its also sad to hear that the blade is so poorly designed, I for one would welcome a SwissCard with a larger blade and was thinking this would be the best feature of the BG-Card.
Are these the same creative minds that put together the Obama Healthcare site? :td:  ::)
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:38:43 PM
Are these the same creative minds that put together the Obama Healthcare site? :td:  ::)
Don't think so. At least the Gerber card will work on somethings.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 10:46:36 PM
Don't think so. At least the Gerber card will work on somethings.

live from Nate's mobile
:facepalm:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79