Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Piranha v.s. Piranha II v.s. Croc. 15303

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,451 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Leatherman Piranha v.s. Piranha II v.s. Croc.
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:42:13 AM »
I just received the second version of the Piranha today, and thought this might be a good time to talk a little about these 3 similar tools and toss in a few photographs into the equation.

As most of you know, Leatherman purchased PocketToolX in 2012. I must admit, I do not have an original PocketToolX Piranha, and I feel that might be something I may have to find. What I do know is that the Piranha and Brewster were PocketToolX designes that Leatherman quickly added their name to and sold through their vast distribution network. I personally do not know much about PocketToolX, and quite possibly a few more designs were either taken or modified for the Leatherman branding. I am thinking about the Mako Ti here.

Anyways, here is a news article announcing the purchase of PocketToolX.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/morning_call/2012/07/leatherman-to-buy-pockettoolx.html

The Piranha was a very solid pocket tool. It surprised many that Leatherman came out with a second version so quickly after the heels of the first version. In between, there was a cut down version of the original Piranha called the Croc. The Croc was a Home Depot exclusive that came packaged with a Leatherman Sidekick. Interestingly enough, many of the subtle design cues of the Piranha II comes from the Croc, and not from the original Leatherman Piranha. Yes, I do wish I had an original PocketToolX Piranha to make direct comparisons. I strongly suspect it will look exactly like the Leatherman branded Piranha however.

The Leatherman Piranha came with a full sized 1/4" double ended bit. This was a bit surprising as Leatherman has always had their unique flat driver bits. Likewise, the rubber holder is rather bulky and rounded.

In contrast, the Croc was a bare bones Piranha that did not include a driver bit. It was a simple slab of metal with a few features lacking in the more fancier Piranha. The Croc is also half as thick as the Piranha and Piranha II. Interestingly enough, the model designation is stamped into the steel unlike the laser etched Piranha and Piranha II.

The Piranha II is much like the first version, except the new model has a cut out metal arm that acts as a spring/lever to um, I guess, better bind the driver bit and 1/4" hex driver. Unlike the original version, this one now features the Leatherman standard flat drivers. Both still double ended flat and Phillips drivers. Because of this, the rubber holder is now flat and more compact compared to the older version which had to accommodate a larger bit driver.

There is a lot of speculation that the cut out for the spring arm in the second version has introduced some weak spots. After looking at the affected area, I am relatively confident that it shouldn't break there as the metal is thick enough. Mind you, we won't know until we start seeing reports coming in of broken Piranha IIs. Looking at it head on, it does look like a weak spot, albeit, there is still a lot of metal there due to the thickness.

As I have mentioned before, the Croc led the way in some design cues for the second version of the Piranha. The beveled front end is straight much like that seen in the Croc. The edge grooves are also similar. The edge grooves in the Piranha are a thing of beauty. You can tell they were rounded etc, and just look beautiful. The later edge grooves in the second version and the Croc are just not as sexy. Mind you, this is a subjective thing.

Now onto some photos.

From top to bottom: Piranha II, Piranha, Croc.

All tools of this class have the following:
1. Scrapper
2. Bottle opener
3. English open wrench
4. Metric box wrench
5. Box opener

The Piranha and Piranha II also feature:
6. 1/4" Hex driver
7. 1 double ended driver bit that features a flat driver/Phillips driver.

The Piranha II also features:
8. A flat driver hole designed to mate with the Leatherman flat driver bits.

The Croc also features:
9. The lower jaw can be used as a flat driver as the Croc is half the thickness of the other two.

Here is an image of the old Piranha's bit driver holder. You can see the bit is 1/4" in size, and the rubber is larger and rounded to accommodate it.

In contrast, here is the bit holder for the Piranha II. Note that the standard Leatherman flat bit is used here, meaning the rubber holder can now be flat and less bulky. You can also see the new spring bit holder.

The older Piranha is a good looking tool. I think part of it is the nice beveling in the contours.

In contrast, the newer Piranha II lacks these little design details.

Here is the Croc for comparison.

Here is the sexy edge bevels on the Piranha.

Compared to those of the Piranha II.

And the Croc.

So there you have it, 3 versions of a tool that now bear the Leatherman label, and not that of the PocketToolX moniker. The original Piranha is a beautiful tool that is very nice to look at. The Croc was a lower quality tool bundled with a Sidekick for cheap money as an exclusive for Home Depot. You can see some design cues taken directly from the Croc for the newer Piranha II, which when compared to the older version, just looks cheaper. I must add however, that the Piranha II did beef up the scraper end where the name is located compared to the original version. With that said, they appeared to have added a weak spot at the other end of the tool where the flat bit is used. It is equally as thick as the original version however, and because of this, I don't think it should beak with normal use. I say this because if one has a mind, you can break any tool out there. The Croc has that stamped name, which is a very nice touch. I am a bit surprised Leatherman decided to just laser engrave it on the newer version.

That wraps up my views, thoughts, and pontifications on these 3 pocket tools.  :salute:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:43:49 AM by Chako »

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,689 Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Leatherman Piranha v.s. Piranha II v.s. Croc.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 02:00:38 AM »
A excellent comparison review Chako

its nice to see them all side by side

:tu:

Defend the Hive!!!
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,697 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:16:00 AM »
Nice review!

that's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,909 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:18:56 AM »
Out of curiosity, what's the weight on the two piranha tools? I have a Croc, and think ot seems pretty sturdy already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Life Club Posts: 3,334 All Lurkers Please Join :D
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 02:26:02 AM »
Out of curiosity, what's the weight on the two piranha tools? I have a Croc, and think ot seems pretty sturdy already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The LM website says both Piranhas are 1.9oz.

Leatherman
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,451 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:33:30 AM »
I weighed all 3 on my old analogue scale.

Croc = 41 grams
Piranha = 55 grams
Piranha II = 54 grams

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Full Member Posts: 233
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:12:28 AM »
It seems like the ramps for both the open-ended and closed wrenches are much more rounded off on the original Piranha compared to the Croc and II. Can you tell if that changes the likelihood of slippage when working with stubborn bolts or nuts?
Full Member Posts: 221

Edi ro

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 11:46:03 AM »
I so wanted a Piranha 2 to pair it with my ST300. I managed to find one, overpriced of course and i got the 1 instead... have to send it back and search further (not sure where, especially now)
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,813
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 09:02:39 PM »
Oh, I didn't know it's been retired.
I cannot find any to buy either.
And there doesn't seem any replacement to it on LM's website  :dunno:

I've got one last year via eBay, hope it doesn't break then.

Formerly known as MTMatt
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 59,016
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 04:46:56 PM »
I would keep it if I were you Edi :cheers: They are a bit thicker than the II and the 1/4 inch bit slot will also hold the LM bits :tu: I have the II to compare with it and I love both but the 1 seems to be a little sturdier than the II but I haven't broken either so they seem pretty tough :D

Edi ro

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 05:54:02 PM »
Thank you Poncho! I've tested it and am overall content with it. The wrench is on the slipery side, though... and that was actually the main reason to buy it. Have to check some more nuts  :dunno:
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 07:57:52 PM »
It does slip some but the improved version is the same. Once they catch on something they hold for me :cheers:

Perhaps take a file and fine tune the edges to help with the slippage :salute: :tu:
Newbie Posts: 8
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 08:40:24 PM »
I really liked my piranha until I lost it.  Never really used the bit but it made a good pryer and scraper.  Have since replaced it with a pocket wrench ii and after grinding down the pry end it serves about the same purpose and is a little less bulky.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 02:35:43 PM »
And both, the Piranha & Pocket Wrench, seem discontinued. Go figure  :dunno:

Formerly known as MTMatt
Newbie Posts: 8
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 04:55:56 PM »
The original company isn't still making them( pocket wrench) but you can find generally good knock offs on Amazon or ebay.

Full Member Posts: 162
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 05:03:37 PM »
I also love my Piranha 2. I removed the rubber insert and carry it in my original nylon Leatherman Supertool sheath with an extra card of the LM bits I had lying around. (I think there’s a picture of it somewhere on here, along with my Vic Ranger, out on a woodland walk.)

It’s a brilliant tool, and a perfect step up from my keyring tools of Brewzer and BtN 10 when needed.
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 06:55:51 PM »
Like this? ...

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 07:04:05 PM »
The original company isn't still making them( pocket wrench) but you can find generally good knock offs on Amazon or ebay.

I've only spotted "one" on Amaz..
But currently not available.

Anyhow, I found a new LM Piranha (the first version) on the bay today. I hope I will receive it in a few weeks.

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 12:28:59 PM »
That is a nice looking setup :salute: :like: I carry mine in an extra pocket that my smart phone case/carrier has :cheers:
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2020, 02:33:34 PM »
Thanks Poncho  :hatsoff:
I find it's a nice size for the LM pouches.
Or as you're doing it... for a phone case, wallets...  :tu:

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 11:34:19 AM »
Looks like a great combo you have going on, EMark :like:
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 02:53:55 PM »
Cheers, Poncho!

The last few decades have taught me that everything feels better when I have my pocket knife and tools to hand.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 03:06:51 PM »
It is totally a great feeling and I completely understand it :tu: :like: Having tools to do a job big or small in my pocket always gives me a sense of pride :cheers:
Sr. Member Posts: 326
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 04:00:41 PM »
Oh, I didn't know it's been retired.
I cannot find any to buy either.
And there doesn't seem any replacement to it on LM's website  :dunno:

I've got one last year via eBay, hope it doesn't break then.

LM switched to the by the numbers pocket carry series; which I do not personally agree with. The original piranha covered the vast majority of the features the new pocket series spreads out across 10 numbered tools. Sure it may increase sales, but  that has to be offset by the R&D and manufacturing costs of all these different tools.

As for a direct replacement to the Piranha or Piranha 2; the closest you could get appears to be to carry the Leatherman 4 PLUS the Leatherman 5. That is a loss For the consumer and major step back IMHO for the consumer.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 04:07:01 PM by Mcfal12 »
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 05:24:55 PM »

LM switched to the by the numbers pocket carry series; which I do not personally agree with. The original piranha covered the vast majority of the features the new pocket series spreads out across 10 numbered tools. Sure it may increase sales, but  that has to be offset by the R&D and manufacturing costs of all these different tools.

As for a direct replacement to the Piranha or Piranha 2; the closest you could get appears to be to carry the Leatherman 4 PLUS the Leatherman 5. That is a loss For the consumer and major step back IMHO for the consumer.

:iagree:

Formerly known as MTMatt
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 05:25:18 PM »
Ah! That's a great idea  :tu:

Works for me :)

Enjoy!

Edi ro

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2020, 05:27:05 PM »
I thought about this
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2020, 05:33:00 PM »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $209.99
PayPal Fees: $12.19
Net Balance: $197.80
Below Goal: $102.20
Site Currency: USD