Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

154cm or s30v as jaw material

raptor · 24 · 3118

Offline raptor

154cm or s30v as jaw material
on: June 08, 2008, 03:21:19 AM
since the jaw is the most important part of the multitool,it deserves the best material,doesn't it? leatherman should do something. ::) >:D

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: 154cm or s30v as jaw material
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:01:46 AM
154cm or S30V would not be a very good jaw material. It's good for knives but as I understand it does not handle the forces typically exerted on a plier head very well. That, and knowing the price of S30V it would make most tools really expensive!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:05:09 AM
Yeah, and S30v can chip easily. It's similar to the Tungsten Carbide wire cutters found on various Gerber tools.. It is so hard it is prone to chipping!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:36:00 AM
There was a similar post about using tool grade steel on the plier heads but I can't remeber where it is :think: I think that MT plier heads do deserve a stonger steel in them though :)

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:54:53 AM
When are we going to see titanium used in more parts than just decorative scales?
"

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 06:49:55 AM
When are we going to see titanium used in more parts than just decorative scales?

Probably never on a mass-production level, it's too expensive and doesn't work very well in tool applications.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 07:04:30 AM

Probably never on a mass-production level, it's too expensive and doesn't work very well in tool applications.

I remember  a similar post somewhere can you remember where it's at Spoon ??? also remember you answering someone else who said that about titanium :-\

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 07:35:52 AM
Price of titanium will more than likely plummet.  I have no idea when, but it will, just like aluminum was considered a precious metal a century ago.

Titanium, unpurified, is plentiful.  In any case, I think there would be a small market for enthusiasts to pay today's $40/lb cost of titanium to have a multitool using a lot of it.

I bet almost everybody on this forum would go for it :)

"

Offline brandonc223

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:50:55 AM
Price of titanium will more than likely plummet.  I have no idea when, but it will, just like aluminum was considered a precious metal a century ago.

Titanium, unpurified, is plentiful.  In any case, I think there would be a small market for enthusiasts to pay today's $40/lb cost of titanium to have a multitool using a lot of it.

I bet almost everybody on this forum would go for it :)

I've heard that compared to hardened tool steel, titanium is relatively weak, with a hardness only around the mid fourties on the rockwell scale?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 07:59:13 AM
I'm not sure they would go for the required increase in overall size though. As far as I have been able to find, the best titanium alloys still require twice the thickness for a given piece to be as strong as steel. The overall savings is weight, not size. Now, I'm trying to find out more on how titanium alloys perform in tool roles but the information is hard to find and it still seems like it wouldn't work very well.

Maybe an email to these guys is in order; they may be able to help clue us in to the potential of using this alloy. They make all manner of tools and they look to be comparable size to other tools so maybe there's something I'm missing.

http://www.imprex.net/

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 05:05:18 PM
I have talked to the owner of Mission Knives about an all titanium multitool, and he dispelled a few notions I had about it.  Titanium isn't that expensive, it's just the US mined/refined variety that's expensive.  It's also the fourth most common element in the Earth's crust.

I really don't remember most of the rest of the conversation- John's one of those guys that is really easy to talk to, but his knowledge on the subject of titanium (and many other topics!) is encyclopedic, and if you can retain a small percentage of the info he gives you, you are lucky!

It's been a while since I talked to him... maybe I should give him a call again and see how he's doing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 06:29:13 PM

Spoonrobot, aren't there titanium knives available?

I.e. knives with titanium blade and handle both.

I've never owned one, but seem to remember seeing them.

N

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 06:33:04 PM
I have one from when I used to scuba dive. It is a UnderWater Kinetics Blue Tang Titanium Dive knife- http://www.joediveramerica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=30064&Affiliate=froogle
B

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 06:38:21 PM
I'm happy with the "regular" steel pliers on my tools, haven't had a problem with any yet :D
[

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 06:44:34 PM
I have one from when I used to scuba dive. It is a UnderWater Kinetics Blue Tang Titanium Dive knife- http://www.joediveramerica.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=30064&Affiliate=froogle

Thanks for the link, Leatherman123.

Is it a decent knife?  Aside from being corrosion resistant, is it OK for general usage?

N

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 06:46:25 PM
Yeah, I would say so.. The line cutter is great thing to have and the serrations on the back work great!
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 07:09:43 PM

Yup, both Def and Leatherman123 mentioned some of the more familiar brands; Mission knives and UnderWater Kinetics. My statement was relevant to multi-tool use only. There are lots of different ways to use titanium in tools/knives, one of the most popular and familiar are the scales and frame lock of the Sebenza. I'm very interested about the potential but searching has yet to yield much that is relevant to us.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 07:51:57 PM

Yup, both Def and Leatherman123 mentioned some of the more familiar brands; Mission knives and UnderWater Kinetics. My statement was relevant to multi-tool use only. There are lots of different ways to use titanium in tools/knives, one of the most popular and familiar are the scales and frame lock of the Sebenza. I'm very interested about the potential but searching has yet to yield much that is relevant to us.

I'd buy a lightweight titanium multi if one was available.

Maybe something like a titanium LM PST or SOG PPP.

Just basic multitool functionality but weighing in at 2 to 3 ounces instead of 5 ounces.

There'd be a market for such a lightweight tool among backpackers, moutaineers, etc.  Probably also would sell to salt water fisherman for its improved corrosion resistance.

N

Offline raptor

Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 08:03:30 PM
Is titanium strong enough?  :-\

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 09:06:14 PM
Here's some links for further reading:

http://www.evertibikes.com/why_titanium.htm

http://swordforum.com/metallurgy/titanium.html

Also: Pliers aside, would the wirecutters made of titanium be able to handle hard wire cutting with the same amount of strenght or would a Gerber-replaceble carbide bit system be more effective?

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 09:43:20 PM
Here's some links for further reading:

http://www.evertibikes.com/why_titanium.htm

http://swordforum.com/metallurgy/titanium.html

Also: Pliers aside, would the wirecutters made of titanium be able to handle hard wire cutting with the same amount of strenght or would a Gerber-replaceble carbide bit system be more effective?

If necessary to get the plier strength equivalent to steel, pliers and pivot could be made somewhat thicker.

If you wanted decent hard wire cutters - which you would if the tool was to be marketed to fishermen - replacable cutters like Gerber's would probably be the way to go.

For a backpacking/mountaineering model, you could leave off the replacable cutters and sell it a little cheaper.

If decently made, I think a backpacking model would sell pretty darned well.  Lots of fishermen would probably buy a titanium, corrosion-proof multi just to have the latest in cool toys.

Right now the lightest full size multis available weigh in at 5 to 6 ounces - LM Kick and SOG PPP.  Some backpackers don't carry a multi just because of the weight issue.

N

spam Offline EM745

Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 11:52:02 PM
There was a similar post about using tool grade steel on the plier heads but I can't remeber where it is :think:

Is this the thread you were thinking of?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5025.0.html

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 12:04:48 AM
I'm happy with the "regular" steel pliers on my tools, haven't had a problem with any yet :D

That actually leads me on to my question.  Have people had problems with the pliers steel then?
I'm back!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 01:31:54 AM
There was a similar post about using tool grade steel on the plier heads but I can't remeber where it is :think:

Is this the thread you were thinking of?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5025.0.html

Thanks I believe that this is 1 of the post I was thinking of but I am must also be thinking of another post as well at least now I know I am crossing 2 into 1  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%