Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Figures I forgot the name of the videogame

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Figures I forgot the name of the videogame
on: June 08, 2008, 04:25:40 AM
But there was a videogame I played at an arcade in Ocean City NJ.  Basically, it is a counterterrorist hostage rescue video game I was playing.
At one point of the game I just rescued a hostage for a terrorist jungle camp, and I was walking down a trail boobytrapped with claymore mines. I pressed the front trigger of my weapon and an LM Wave/Surge pops up, pliers deployed.  I press the forward trigger repeadedly to open-close the LM pliers until the claymore is "disarmed". :multi:

Anyone else play this arcade game??
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Figures I forgot the name of the videogame
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 05:02:34 AM
They still have arcades?

Shoot, I haven't even seen an arcade in almost 5 years. I spent most of my formative years placing tokens on the screen-lip for various Street Fighter games and playing Time Crisis, vying for the best run-through time. Conservatively I bet I spent several thousand dollars between the ages of 9 and 16 at the various arcades around town.

That specific game doesn't ring any bells but there have been multi-appearances in other games over the years. Just none modeled on an actual tool.

FYI: Watch your step, heavy nostalgia ahead!

I haven't thought of all the fun I had at arcades for a long time. Playing late on a Friday night was the best. Friends would show up and strategies would be devised to beat the top players at any given game. Most of the expert players were older college students, they may not have been popular with their peers but to us they were gods. In their hands the joysticks were just a blur while they skillfully mashed the multi-colored buttons with machine like precision. They had their favorite characters, the ones they were truly unbeatable with, but every now and again one would pick an unfamiliar and difficult character to play. In these rare instances it was possible for my younger self to actually win a round, feeling my face flush as the small crowd went wild as the match would fall to my favor. The brow of my opponent would wrinkle, his partially bearded face would slowly become a menacing scowl and the next round would be a blur as I would be repeatedly backed into a corner, blocking, jumping and attempting to counterattack a perfect combo. Victory was never mine against the experts but I always gave a respectable show and the end of the final round would see both players let out a long breath and wipe the sweat from their brow. The older always congratulating the younger and offering tips. "If you want to be an expert at Zangief you can't ever be defensive, he's to slow to recover. Keep attacking and look for an opening in the blocks."

The air was thick with sweat and cigarette smoke, clanking of change machines punctuated fireballs and hundred-hit combos while everyone tried not to stare at the one or two girls who had apparently gotten lost and wandered in for a game of Final Fight. It may not have been glamorous or accepted by society but it was just another way to learn things and meet people who would share their experiences. The conversations at the 24 hour diner after the arcade has closed for the night would always start with videogames but always ended on subjects such as advanced scientific theory, great historical events and figures and the favorite topic of those more experience college students, Women. Some people had afterschool clubs and sports, some had alcohol and parties, I had a dimly lit store in the mall that stayed open late and was packed with some of the most intelligent people I've ever met.

The scene died a quick and ugly death. One month the quarter machines were replaced with token machines. A few weeks later the prices for most of the games doubled as newer, flasher and overall less fun machines appeared. A security guard was installed that would roust those who watched too long and didn't play enough. And then one day I arrived during primetime to find the shutter down and locked. The view through the windows showed an empty and barren retail space. The carpet still showed the stains from heavy traffic where the best games had been but that was all that remained. Every person is eventually forced to leave those things behind that cause them to grow up but it is always easier when the choice belongs to you and not someone else.

:cry:

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 11:23:08 AM
...walking down a trail boobytrapped with claymore mines. I pressed the front trigger of my weapon and an LM Wave/Surge pops up, pliers deployed.  I press the forward trigger repeadedly to open-close the LM pliers until the claymore is "disarmed". :multi:

I bet 90% of the posters here "play" this "game" every night.  :D
W

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 11:30:10 AM
I want too be a kid again. I have too take out my SNES and play Street Fighter 2 now. :cry: :cry:
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 03:55:21 PM
They still have arcades?

Shoot, I haven't even seen an arcade in almost 5 years. I spent most of my formative years placing tokens on the screen-lip for various Street Fighter games and playing Time Crisis, vying for the best run-through time. Conservatively I bet I spent several thousand dollars between the ages of 9 and 16 at the various arcades around town.

That specific game doesn't ring any bells but there have been multi-appearances in other games over the years. Just none modeled on an actual tool.

FYI: Watch your step, heavy nostalgia ahead!

I haven't thought of all the fun I had at arcades for a long time. Playing late on a Friday night was the best. Friends would show up and strategies would be devised to beat the top players at any given game. Most of the expert players were older college students, they may not have been popular with their peers but to us they were gods. In their hands the joysticks were just a blur while they skillfully mashed the multi-colored buttons with machine like precision. They had their favorite characters, the ones they were truly unbeatable with, but every now and again one would pick an unfamiliar and difficult character to play. In these rare instances it was possible for my younger self to actually win a round, feeling my face flush as the small crowd went wild as the match would fall to my favor. The brow of my opponent would wrinkle, his partially bearded face would slowly become a menacing scowl and the next round would be a blur as I would be repeatedly backed into a corner, blocking, jumping and attempting to counterattack a perfect combo. Victory was never mine against the experts but I always gave a respectable show and the end of the final round would see both players let out a long breath and wipe the sweat from their brow. The older always congratulating the younger and offering tips. "If you want to be an expert at Zangief you can't ever be defensive, he's to slow to recover. Keep attacking and look for an opening in the blocks."

The air was thick with sweat and cigarette smoke, clanking of change machines punctuated fireballs and hundred-hit combos while everyone tried not to stare at the one or two girls who had apparently gotten lost and wandered in for a game of Final Fight. It may not have been glamorous or accepted by society but it was just another way to learn things and meet people who would share their experiences. The conversations at the 24 hour diner after the arcade has closed for the night would always start with videogames but always ended on subjects such as advanced scientific theory, great historical events and figures and the favorite topic of those more experience college students, Women. Some people had afterschool clubs and sports, some had alcohol and parties, I had a dimly lit store in the mall that stayed open late and was packed with some of the most intelligent people I've ever met.

The scene died a quick and ugly death. One month the quarter machines were replaced with token machines. A few weeks later the prices for most of the games doubled as newer, flasher and overall less fun machines appeared. A security guard was installed that would roust those who watched too long and didn't play enough. And then one day I arrived during primetime to find the shutter down and locked. The view through the windows showed an empty and barren retail space. The carpet still showed the stains from heavy traffic where the best games had been but that was all that remained. Every person is eventually forced to leave those things behind that cause them to grow up but it is always easier when the choice belongs to you and not someone else.

:cry:

Arcades are alive and well in the Jersey Shore  :D
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 12:09:32 AM
I want too be a kid again. I have too take out my SNES and play Street Fighter 2 now. :cry: :cry:

I never had the luxuary of a SNES.  Just the NES for me.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 06:52:19 AM
I still play SNES I got a used Japanese made one last year for around $30 so that I could play my favorite games Wings 2 Aces High and Jurassic Park.  :D
(

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 04:37:05 AM
I downloaded a bunch of ROMS from capcom 1, 2, and neogeo a few years back, now I play them often on my computer.  :D

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 07:52:31 PM
But there was a videogame I played at an arcade in Ocean City NJ.  Basically, it is a counterterrorist hostage rescue video game I was playing.
At one point of the game I just rescued a hostage for a terrorist jungle camp, and I was walking down a trail boobytrapped with claymore mines. I pressed the front trigger of my weapon and an LM Wave/Surge pops up, pliers deployed.  I press the forward trigger repeadedly to open-close the LM pliers until the claymore is "disarmed". :multi:

Was that... Ghost Squad?
Got those frog legs.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 08:08:54 PM
its must be one of the RAINBOW SIX games,they use a multitool that really looks like wave.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 08:57:06 PM
its must be one of the RAINBOW SIX games,they use a multitool that really looks like wave.

Are you sure it's not... Ghost Squad?!

'Cause it's Ghost Squad.

Ghost Squad.

Besides, I haven't seen a Rainbox Six arcarde game yet?
Got those frog legs.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 09:22:11 PM
i thought it was same series or something?

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 10:40:38 PM
How to make me feel old  >:(

The last time I played in an arcade Galaga was cool (though personally I preferred Phoenix) and it was 10p a game.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 10:42:03 PM
well i havent either palyed for about 15 years,here aint much arcedes in malls or anywhere.

but i waste my nights playing Battlefield 2 and 2142 >:D

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 01:06:43 AM

Are you sure it's not... Ghost Squad?!

'Cause it's Ghost Squad.

Ghost Squad.

Besides, I haven't seen a Rainbox Six arcarde game yet?

That's the name GHOST SQUAD!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 05:34:27 AM
Did I win anything?

There's a couple of them at a local Dave and Busters around here, I used to play it a decent amount. It was pretty fun, but after a few months their machines started getting so uncalibrated it became impossible to play...

Of course, that made it more fun to play for me. Like soldiers on speed or something. Good times.
Got those frog legs.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 08:02:58 PM
Yeah, it's Ghost Squad and the game has even been ported over to the Nintendo Wii.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/image/939450.html
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline Splat

Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 10:10:45 PM
Anyone living in central New Jersey might remember Space Port in Woodbridge Mall. Man, that was -the- place for arcade games. When I was young and dragged to the mall with my folks just give me a handfull of quarters or a few dollars and I'm gone!  :)
Splat

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 10:38:50 PM

but i waste my nights playing Battlefield 2 and 2142 >:D

Good Man!  :tu:  I have 2142, but it never really caught on with me.  I still enjoy a round of BF2 on occasion.
- Terry

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 08:30:06 PM

The last time I played in an arcade Galaga was cool (though personally I preferred Phoenix) and it was 10p a game.

Neil

Me too , remember Guantlet ?

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 08:31:58 PM

Neil

Me too , remember Guantlet ?

Dunc

I've got that on my Nes.
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 08:34:32 PM
I can remember shoving 10p's like theres no tomorrow into that game . " Wizard needs food badly "  :D

Dunc

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 08:35:51 PM
I can remember shoving 10p's like theres no tomorrow into that game . " Wizard needs food badly "  :D

Dunc

:D :D

Haven't played that game in a long time.  Will have to go dig it out.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 12:21:17 AM
I was only ever interested in blowing stuff up. Not much changes :D

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%