Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

South Bend Multi-tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
South Bend Multi-tool.
on: April 29, 2014, 02:58:07 AM
I had to buy cat food, and whilst walking in Walmart, I came across 4 of these sitting on one of the sport department's work tables. Nobody was around, and I guess a worker had placed them there ready to be put officially out on the floor. I pounced on one as it was a new multi-tool to me, and that is a rare event nowadays.

This one is a bit odd. It follows the usual Ganzo multi-tool shape but it is done in a garish orange with a rather uneven checkering for texture. You can even see the sprue locations on the handles.

Now I had to Google the name South Bend. I quickly found out they have been around since 1906, and tend to focus on fishing gear, which explain the plier head. This is clearly a fishing centric multi-tool.

Here is a close up of the checkering on the handles, and the South Bend logo which appears to be two lightning bolts inside a well, I guess its a sail as it doesn't fit the description of a trapezium.

As for secondary tools, you get a rather sharp knife blade, an LED flashlight that takes up one whole side of a handle, a small flat and phillips driver for fishing reel maintenance, and um, er a saw? I guess you could use it as a fish scaler in a pinch.

Pros:
1. I like the handle texture. Should prove very grippy when wet.
2. I am always up for a different plier head. This one has plenty of sub functions that should prove useful for fishing.
3. I have yet to meet a Ganzo shaped multi-tool that didn't feel sturdy and well built. This one is no exception.

Cons:
1. This tool rattles so badly, you could tie a fishing line to it, toss it overboard while trolling, and it might attract some fish. One of the retention springs for the flashlight is a tad loose.
2. Seriously, to waste precious real-estate for one of those LED flashlights has always seemed criminal to me.
3. Like pro number 3, I have yet to meet a Ganzo shaped multi-tool that didn't have folding secondary tools that felt cheap. This one is no exception.
4. A fishing tool with a saw instead of a fish scaler seems odd.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: South Bend Multi-tool.
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 03:07:03 AM
Saw makes sence. One of the biggest thing when fish of a bank is a small branch that's in the way of casting. Or cutting a stick with a Y to prop the pole.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 03:36:57 AM
Good point.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 07:18:29 PM
Or processing firewood once you've caught your fish so that you can cook it.  Hmm, add that to my outdoor exercise plan; walk into the woods with a Wave and an altoids tin of tackle and have me a fish supper.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 07:26:02 PM
The saw is to cut fire wood to cook your freshly caught fish.     :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 08:07:16 PM
It's an interesting looking tool. Sorry it doesn't work...
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD