Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Orange Fuse Durability?

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Orange Fuse Durability?
on: June 24, 2014, 03:27:17 AM
Hi chaps.
I wanted to get myself another Fuse since I have been carrying my BO Fuse lately.

I could get an orange 2012 Fuse and LED Lenser H5 for $50... or a normal Fuse for $90~... so I went orange.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the durability of these painted finishes?

I expected my BO Fuse to rub off (2007 model) but it's incredibly hard wearing. It marks, but doesn't come off. This painted one has already got some paint flakes from opening and closing it a few times.

This should be a good MT to take shooting. The BO ones turn invisible at night :P

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Orange Fuse Durability?
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 03:39:51 AM
I don't have any of the painted Leathermen (Leathermans?  :think: ) but I do have a red-painted MP600, and I sell paint and other coatings for a living.  My gut feeling is that unless it's a baked-on finish, it's not going to do terribly well under constant use.  Even hard-use industrial epoxies chip, crack, and wear off.  The red finish on my MP is dinged in some spots.  One advantage for me though is if I do use it and the coating gets damaged, I can write off a quart, match the color, and have enough for touch-ups for years to come.....  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:41:18 AM
I don't own one but I've heard/read the finish will wear quickly.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 04:57:44 AM
I own the Orange Fuse, but its not a user. Sorry I can't help you with what to expect. I will say from handling mine I can pretty much say it will not wear like your BO one as the Orange is more of a paint. I honestly have not seen any of the Orange Fuses as users so I am very excited to see what your results with it are. I'm a huge Fuse fan and the Orange is probably my favorite color Fuse. Please keep us posted.

Cue Sawman........  :D
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 05:37:57 AM
I'm a huge Fuse fan and the Orange is probably my favorite color Fuse. Please keep us posted.

I've quickly grown attached to the Fuse. It's lighter than my Rebar and day to day I don't need a saw or file, so it's brilliant. Far superior to a Juice S2 and only bigger in length by about a finger width.

I'd love to get my hands on a BO camo one.

I'll keep you posted.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 05:40:33 AM
I don't have any of the painted Leathermen (Leathermans?  :think: ) but I do have a red-painted MP600, and I sell paint and other coatings for a living.  My gut feeling is that unless it's a baked-on finish, it's not going to do terribly well under constant use.  Even hard-use industrial epoxies chip, crack, and wear off.  The red finish on my MP is dinged in some spots.  One advantage for me though is if I do use it and the coating gets damaged, I can write off a quart, match the color, and have enough for touch-ups for years to come.....  ;)

Thanks. I'd assumed as much. My cousin I go hunting with runs a paint shop... I'm sure I can weasel some free paint out of him if needed :D

It's a shame. It's a real looker but is an ideal colour for when I'm out shooting (I do a lot of night time hunting) so is definitely going on roster.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:05 AM
I'm a huge Fuse fan and the Orange is probably my favorite color Fuse. Please keep us posted.

I've quickly grown attached to the Fuse. It's lighter than my Rebar and day to day I don't need a saw or file, so it's brilliant. Far superior to a Juice S2 and only bigger in length by about a finger width.

I'll keep you posted.

The BO Camo one is nice. It also comes in SS or BO tools. The Camo is not paint either. Looks like its screened on or something like that. Much more durable of a finish.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 06:36:10 AM

I'll keep you posted.

The BO Camo one is nice. It also comes in SS or BO tools. The Camo is not paint either. Looks like its screened on or something like that. Much more durable of a finish.

Not the kind of thing you want to drop in long grass in the middle of the night though!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 06:48:53 AM

I'll keep you posted.

Not the kind of thing you want to drop in long grass in the middle of the night though!

Definitely not. If you take the Camo Fuse into the field you might wan't to attach a bright lanyard to it. Honestly I never worry about leaving/dropping things in the field though.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:19:01 PM
If it's anything like the finish on the coloured Skeletools it's pretty terrible and comes off easily.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 11:01:43 PM
I've had some of the paint chip off of my orange Wave and it's not even a user. I wouldn't count on that orange finish to stick around too long. Like you said the BO is much better and probably the camo too :salute:
SAW

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 02:29:19 AM
I wanted one but not so sure now.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 02:36:07 AM
Found the pic I was after from this thread.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=40548.0

The pic

Of course the less you use it the longer it would last.  But ya regular paint isnt going to bond to metal well.  Cerakote is the best paint on type coating that I know of.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline sawman

Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 02:50:54 AM
And this is exactly what you can expect from an orange Fuse/Wave. If you plan to use it buy stainless or BO.
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 02:58:08 AM
I say even though the paint isn't that great of a coating you still use it and enjoy it.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 03:00:52 AM
I say even though the paint isn't that great of a coating you still use it and enjoy it.
I thought yours was also a shelf queen  :pok:
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 04:13:49 AM

Well mine is.   :whistle:  :D

I'm trying to put together a Fuse collection so I have a excuse.  ::)  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 04:14:59 PM

Nothing wrong with shelf-queens. I have enough users that I don't need to scratch up every single tool I own :salute:
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 05:41:05 PM

Nothing wrong with shelf-queens. I have enough users that I don't need to scratch up every single tool I own :salute:

That's how I feel about it too.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69