Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Getting a new phone

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Getting a new phone
on: May 18, 2008, 07:22:47 PM
My contract is up with AT&T and I'm thinking of getting a new phone for free (or heavily discounted) and getting another 2 year plan.  The AT&T site un undergoing maintenence so I can't really get any answers...so I'm posting here!

Anyone know if the SIM card in my 2 year old Motorola phone can be put into a new Samsung phone?  Or do I have to start from scratch and transfer all my numbers into a new phone? 

If I get a new phone in the mail, do I have to bring it to a store to get it activated (and my old one deactivated), or is it something I can do that same day at home?

BTW this is the one I'm thinking of getting;
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Getting a new phone
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:54:42 PM
I don't know anything about SIM cards, but I do know that whether you manage to use the card or not, you should be able to get the dealer to transfer the contact list from one phone to the next.  That looks like a pretty cool phone- I was happy with my last Samsung, and they are one of the few brands that I will continue to buy with faith- at least until they convince me otherwise!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Biru

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 03:12:05 PM
I've looked into this a bit and from what I gather, the SIM card may be used with any phone not locked into a particular carrier (I understand ATT used to be notorious for refusing to unlock phones-even customer provided ones). It is the SIM card which ties you to a particular carrier. I BELIEVE this is correct, but others may have more info. May I ask, I have recently switched to ATT and was wondering, How have you found the service (i.e. reception, etc)?

I've had mediocre luck with my service-provided Motorolas, slightly better with Nokia. I've never tried the Samsung.

There are several sites which discuss the SIM card if noone here has more info.

Good Luck, Bill.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 03:19:09 AM
May I ask, I have recently switched to ATT and was wondering, How have you found the service (i.e. reception, etc)?

I've never had any problems with AT&T, every time I've tried to make or receive a call I got through.

I'm guessing SIM cards are universal between different phone brands and whatnot...but I'll find out in a few days!

I ended up ordering this one;
Sony Ericsson W580i Walkman

I'm a big talk radio listener and this should get in my favorite station, so that was a plus!

[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 07:49:29 PM
Sim cards will work in any handset as long as the network it is on has not been blocked on the handset (if that makes any sense).   
I'm back!!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 12:50:54 AM
I have a Samsung j750, I'm quite happy with it...

I compared all the phones available from my operator over here on http://www.gsmarena.com/

They have pretty decent stats and photos of virtually any phone you could want...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

spam Offline zepla

• No Life Club
  • Where is all that water coming from?!
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 01:43:22 AM
That is a good site indeed. Got mine based on their info as well. Bought a time ago this one: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idMaker2=9&idPhone1=1587

Works good, still waiting to fall apart but just keep on function. Soon I'm on the market for a new one. Maybey a Samsung once again. Just have to dig through that site again  :-\

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 04:50:34 PM
BTW this is the one I'm thinking of getting;
(Image removed from quote.)

I have AT&T service, and that phone (A-737).

I'm pretty happy with it overall.  Text entry isn't the greatest, and Motorola models have a bit better signal reception, but I like the micro SD slot and mp3 player.  The pictures it takes are so-so, and you can also do video with sound.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD