Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show us your Benchmades

sawman · 1261 · 57590

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Show us your Benchmades
Reply #1200 on: December 03, 2022, 06:18:21 AM
One of the many incarnations of the Bugout.  This version features aluminum handles, a black M390 blade, and red anodized accents.

Pros:
- Overall F&F - very good, typical Benchmade.  Blade is slightly off center, but not enough to contact handle
- Action - very good, typical Benchmade axis lock, no play in open or closed positions, completely ambidextrous, doesn’t really lend itself to being flipped open but opens easily via thumb stud
- Handle texture - might be my favorite thing about this knife.  The straight lines radiating outward from the pivot enhance grip without being too aggressive, and are both tactilely and visually pleasing.  Nailed it, Benchmade.
- Lanyard hole - Benchmade succeeded here in including an attachment point that is available for those who want one and completely unobtrusive for those who don’t.  This should be par for the course, but too often manufacturers either fail to include a lanyard attachment point for those who might want one, or they include one but it interferes with getting a proper and comfortable grip on the knife.
- Blade shape - Simple flat ground drop point blade has good belly and usable point

Cons:
- Handle size/shape - The problem here is that the butt swell combined with the handle length of 4.2”.  I can barely get four fingers of my XL hand on the handle, and it isn’t as comfortable as it could be, though it might be a perfect fit for someone with small to medium size hands.  This could have been fixed by either scaling up the whole knife to more like 5.2” closed (Bugout Max, Benchmade?), or by eliminating the butt swell.

* IMG_0673.jpg (Filesize: 210.25 KB)

* IMG_0674.jpg (Filesize: 196.93 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1201 on: December 03, 2022, 04:07:02 PM
Good looking knife. 
Esse Quam Videri

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #1202 on: December 06, 2022, 10:09:22 AM
There's a while I let you down without any update on my quest to "getting [all/most of/some] the minigrips out there" (spoiler, I won't succeed this quest)

So here is a Cabela's exclusive D2 blade and tan handle 556BKSND2
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1203 on: December 06, 2022, 02:54:55 PM
I'd imagine there are quite a few.  You can still have a lot of fun trying.  Nice addition. 
Esse Quam Videri

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #1204 on: December 06, 2022, 07:16:07 PM
much more than i'll ever have  :whistle:, but yeah, very fun to pursue and discover new models  :popcorn:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #1205 on: December 08, 2022, 08:41:27 PM
 :angel:

* Seven_plus_one.jpg (Filesize: 153.88 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1206 on: December 08, 2022, 09:07:23 PM
 :dd:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1207 on: December 09, 2022, 05:28:48 AM
I’m intrigued by the Weekender, but with the street price looking like $225, I probably won’t be getting one unless I find one deeply discounted.

Well, it happened.  I found one at a pretty significant discount.

I love the concept of this knife:  not one but two S30V blades, plus another useful tool.

Unfortunately, this design just falls short.

The handle is quite wide and oddly shaped, which makes it ride awkwardly in the pocket.  And as it comes sans pocket clip or sheath, loose in pocket is the default.

One might be forgiven for hoping (or even assuming) that the trade off for this extra width would be a supremely comfortable and ergonomic handle.  Sadly, however, this isn’t the case at all.  The points where the straight line of the back of the knife meets the arcs at either end may not appear particularly acute in pictures, but they are definitely sharp enough to be uncomfortable, and would no doubt create a nasty hot spot on my palm under sustained use.  My hands are larger than average, but not freakishly large.  This is the type of thing that makes me wonder how a design with this sort of flaw goes into full production without the problem being discovered.

With regard to the bottle opener, I didn’t have any test subjects handy, but Benchmade did a nice job making it easy to open and close, making it unobtrusive when closed, and including it in the design without adding any additional thickness to the knife.  When it comes to pocket tools, though, a dedicated bottle opener is a bit lazy.  For one thing, a bottle opener is an easy thing to improvise if you don’t have one.  For another, if you’re set on including a bottle opener, at least combine it with some other functions a la Victorinox.

Clearly a miss, Benchmade.  I know you can do better.

Weekender shown with Case Large Stockman (75 pattern) and Vic Deluxe Tinker for scale and comparison.

* IMG_0694.jpg (Filesize: 200.93 KB)

* IMG_0695.jpg (Filesize: 200.1 KB)

* IMG_0696.jpg (Filesize: 286.82 KB)

* IMG_0698.jpg (Filesize: 152.48 KB)

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #1208 on: December 09, 2022, 06:11:33 AM
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1209 on: December 09, 2022, 04:31:21 PM
That weekender is cool.  Always with the bottle opener?  What gives?  Is there a universal reason why its always included? 

If these makers think buyers of such items are also beer drinkers they have to know most can improvise an opener.  With as much beer they think we drink we better know how to open one. 

A bottle opener for me is a waste as I dont drink beer.  Still a cool knife but I'd agree, lazy. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1210 on: December 13, 2022, 05:13:41 AM
Taggedout

3.5” of CPM-154 steel in a package that weighs just over two ounces and features Benchmade’s proven axis lock is impressive. 

The handle is heavily textured but not uncomfortable.  It appears that one of the ways Benchmade shaved weight was to forgo full length steel liners and instead opt for much smaller steel plates around the pivot and lock area.

Benchmade opted for a thumb hole in lieu of a thumb stud.  They managed to implement it without introducing any unsightly humps or bumps in the blade, and it works just fine.

* IMG_0728.jpg (Filesize: 221.7 KB)

* IMG_0729.jpg (Filesize: 185 KB)

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1211 on: December 14, 2022, 12:25:09 AM
Taggedout

3.5” of CPM-154 steel in a package that weighs just over two ounces and features Benchmade’s proven axis lock is impressive. 

The handle is heavily textured but not uncomfortable.  It appears that one of the ways Benchmade shaved weight was to forgo full length steel liners and instead opt for much smaller steel plates around the pivot and lock area.

Benchmade opted for a thumb hole in lieu of a thumb stud.  They managed to implement it without introducing any unsightly humps or bumps in the blade, and it works just fine.
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1212 on: December 20, 2022, 05:38:20 PM
Taggedout

I’ve been giving this thing some carry time, and I’m impressed.

The wide, flat-ground blade starts at only 0.09” thick and comes down thin behind the primary bevel.  This isn’t a “hard use” folder, but it cuts like a laser!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1213 on: December 21, 2022, 12:40:07 AM
That sound good to me.  I like my folders to be laser cutters.  I want to slice thru ripe tomatoes with ease.  My fixies can handle to harder tasks. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #1214 on: December 23, 2022, 08:31:55 PM
Check out the latest! Found this bugout for a great deal at the local gun store, these bugouts really impress me, fantastic blades!

* IMG_20221223_142146.jpg (Filesize: 245.69 KB)
Send In the spartans

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #1215 on: January 05, 2023, 01:28:13 PM
hard not to carry it  :like:

* RitterMiniBMG_ORG.jpg (Filesize: 92.04 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1216 on: January 05, 2023, 05:33:37 PM
I bet.  Its very  :drool:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #1217 on: January 05, 2023, 11:15:42 PM
hard not to carry it  :like:

:drool: :drool: :gimme: very nice!

* IMG_20230105_171224.jpg (Filesize: 364.97 KB)
Send In the spartans

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #1218 on: January 13, 2023, 07:30:30 PM
Those Osborne models are pretty also!

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #1219 on: March 30, 2023, 01:49:39 AM
Those Osborne models are pretty also!

Yes indeed! Still a great design all these years later.

* IMG_20230329_194650.jpg (Filesize: 273.97 KB)
Send In the spartans

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1220 on: March 30, 2023, 02:48:45 AM
I posted this previously in a different thread, but here’s a BM Puukko…

* IMG_1061.jpg (Filesize: 47.14 KB)

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #1221 on: March 30, 2023, 12:34:12 PM
looks very good  :drool:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1222 on: March 30, 2023, 04:40:31 PM
I agree, they did a good job on the Leuku as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #1223 on: March 30, 2023, 05:43:53 PM
Love those pukos!
Send In the spartans

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1224 on: March 30, 2023, 06:09:38 PM
I ended up with a couple I'm happy to say.  This one is a favorite, Benchmade 183 in S30V.  Its a big boy but I like that. 

* IMG_7872.jpg (Filesize: 114.14 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1225 on: March 30, 2023, 06:21:52 PM

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #1226 on: April 09, 2023, 10:09:14 PM
My 555-1 mini grip with the 20cv blade and g10 scales.

Don’t care much for the black blade, but it was used at a great price. Got it off BF 2 years ago and the seller threw in the 85 dated old cross pioneer I have with it. Quite the deal for $100.

* IMG_1743.jpg (Filesize: 218.1 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1227 on: April 10, 2023, 02:34:45 AM
My 555-1 mini grip with the 20cv blade and g10 scales.

Don’t care much for the black blade, but it was used at a great price. Got it off BF 2 years ago and the seller threw in the 85 dated old cross pioneer I have with it. Quite the deal for $100.
Very nice, and you definitely got a great deal!

I’m with you on the black blades though.

Unless perhaps someone is legitimately in covert ops?  Idk
:shrug:

I prefer my steel naked.  :-)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1228 on: April 12, 2023, 04:24:59 PM
VERY nice deal.  Black blades are not a deal breaker for me.  I think your 555 looks terrific.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #1229 on: April 29, 2023, 02:34:07 AM
BM Anonimus

I’ve been on the hunt for one of these for a while, and finally scored one at what I felt was a reasonable price.

Fit and finish are as expected from Benchmade.

Handle is comfortable, and accommodates my XL hands with room to spare.  The subtle ridges improve grip but aren’t overly aggressive.

Balance is perfect, right on the first finger.

I also really like the sheath.  It seems to be excellent quality, and holds the knife firmly and securely (passes the shake test) with no wiggle or rattle, but not with such a death grip as to make it difficult to draw.  It’s a pet peeve of mine to pay good money for a decent knife, and then have the sheath be some cheap crappy afterthought.  I also don’t relish buying a knife, and then having to spend more money on an aftermarket sheath to make it actually carryable & usable.  A good sheath is important; if I’m going to carry a fixed blade in the field, I’m counting on the sheath to protect me in the event of a fall.   This means it must (1) hold the knife securely enough that won’t fall out, or be accidentally knocked out or jarred loose, and (2) be of such materials and construction that the knife can’t puncture, cut, or be driven through the sheath.  Kudos to Benchmade for providing a quality sheath worthy of the blade!

* IMG_1145.jpg (Filesize: 58.47 KB)

* IMG_1146.jpg (Filesize: 174.04 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69