Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Some old tools I got

jzmtl · 12 · 1889

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Some old tools I got
on: May 12, 2014, 02:20:15 AM
My friend gave me these, some he probably got from his old neighbor who was a millwright.

I already have a similar hand drill from yard sale, but this one's construction is different. Unfortunately some idiot peened the handle knob to the handle so it doesn't rotate anymore.  ::) I had to drill it out and use a screw to put it back on, which is unfortunate since it's no longer original.

I've actually tried to use these on a few occasions, well let's just say I won't get rid of my power drills anytime soon. Really they are a pain to use, and pretty much impossible with any drill size bigger than, oh let's say 1/8". I know there are people who use hand tools only and I really admire them for their patience/skill, I'm definitely not one.

Below that is what I'm guessing a rebate plane, since the side is grounded flush with blade. It's all metal, whereas the new bench plane I bought a while ago (also stanley) has metal body but plastic handle. Seems like the plane is made in Canada while blade is US. The other side has a thingy that can be rotated out to hold it flush to edge of wood I'm guessing. The lever is used to advance the blade, whereas on my new one use a screw knob, and a lever is used to tilt the blade left/right.

The spokeshave had a blade made in west Germany, so it's at least that old. I happened to made a trowel handle (original one rotted) a few days ago, so I sharpened it up and rounded the handle with it, actually works pretty well.

The saw set looks pretty new, and still for sale so I guess it's not that old. But consider how popular the hand saw is and how many people knows how to sharpen/tune them, I guess it's on the endangered list as well.

The last is an electric blower. Given the all metal construction I suppose it's pretty old, but has some serious power. No idea what it's originally intended for, but I just found a use for it, blowing work piece clean after sanding, and it does a pretty good job.

That's is, garage sale season is about to start though so I'll see what that brings.  :D Though living in the city it's mostly old baby cloth/toy and flea market/dollar store crap. :(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:33:10 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Some old tools I got
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:07:37 AM
Looks like a fine bunch of goodies you got there Jie. :salute: I'm familiar with what each of those items are, but oddly enough I have never used any of them. I can vaguely remember my grandfather having one of those hand drills, which I played with a time or two, but never drilled any holes with it. And I don't believe I've ever even handled a plane or a spoke shave or a saw set. :think: Cool stuff though! :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline David

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:57:19 AM
 8)  tools!    :tu:    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:47:37 AM
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:03:48 PM
Nice haul!
I like to spoke shave and the bull dog plane. I got a couple or those types of drills. There great for small holes. Anything bigger than a 1/4 inch, you are better off using a brace and bit.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 01:27:59 PM
Very nice tools. :cheers: I have a few old wood working tools that I inherited from my grandfather and I still use. Also his old work bench. I think I posted some pics of those before.

I don't think I saw a spokeshave before. :think: After a bit of googling it looks like it's used for the same tasks as a drawknife. Correct?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 01:35:42 PM
That's an awesome haul you managed to get there!! :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 03:41:47 PM
Very nice tools. :cheers: I have a few old wood working tools that I inherited from my grandfather and I still use. Also his old work bench. I think I posted some pics of those before.

I don't think I saw a spokeshave before. :think: After a bit of googling it looks like it's used for the same tasks as a drawknife. Correct?
Works the same way. There where used by wheelwrights a lot to make spokes for wagon wheels.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:42:35 PM
Anything bigger than a 1/4 inch, you are better off using a brace and bit.

That's one thing I always want to pick up, but haven't seen any yet at yard sales.

From mt 5 minutes of experience, pretty much. But like planes the depth is limited so it's better for finer work, since there won't be any splitting or gouging.

I did some googling, and apparently that stanley plane is quite popular for restoring. Unfortunately it's missing the fence, the three sided thingy on the side is a spur used to cut wood grain to reduce tear out.

I'm not sure when would you use a saw set, the only cheap set I have is already set from the factory.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:47:45 PM by jzmtl »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 09:35:27 PM
Anymore you don't. Back in the day, saw where not so easy to come by like now. So they would sharpen them and reset the angles. It should be able to set the teeth for crosscut and rip saws.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 09:44:30 PM
Two more pics of the two hand drills I have. The new (to me) one seems heavier duty with bigger chuck and larger crank wheel. The older one however has screw cap/space in handle for bit storage and dual pinion gear (for stability?). However the central knob shaft is pressed into the main tube, so impossible to take apart, whereas the old one is easily disassembled for cleaning/greasing. You can see the repair I had to do on the bottom side of crank handle.

I'm not sure if I should really clean/degrease them and perhaps spray a layer of clear coat to preserve the original paint, or just leave them as is.

Anymore you don't. Back in the day, saw where not so easy to come by like now. So they would sharpen them and reset the angles. It should be able to set the teeth for crosscut and rip saws.

live from Nate's mobile

I sharpen the saws I have with a triangular file, but that doesn't change the teeth set. I guess you meant to actually ground new teeth into the saw blade itself?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 12:22:20 AM
Two more pics of the two hand drills I have. The new (to me) one seems heavier duty with bigger chuck and larger crank wheel. The older one however has screw cap/space in handle for bit storage and dual pinion gear (for stability?). However the central knob shaft is pressed into the main tube, so impossible to take apart, whereas the old one is easily disassembled for cleaning/greasing. You can see the repair I had to do on the bottom side of crank handle.

I'm not sure if I should really clean/degrease them and perhaps spray a layer of clear coat to preserve the original paint, or just leave them as is.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

live from Nate's mobile

I sharpen the saws I have with a triangular file, but that doesn't change the teeth set. I guess you meant to actually ground new teeth into the saw blade itself?
That manly. Sometimes you hit something that bends the teeth and they would need reset.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79