Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lets look at the Skeletool Family.

Chako · 154 · 44543

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Re: Lets look at the Skeletool Family.
Reply #120 on: November 25, 2015, 05:39:25 PM
I really want to like the Skele but the way it feels in my hand when using the pliers just didn't gel well.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: November 26, 2015, 01:22:28 PM
I really want to like the Skele but the way it feels in my hand when using the pliers just didn't gel well.

I tend to abuse my hands a bit so this is not a concern for me, but I honestly think if you stick within the limits of the tool the grip is at worst uncomfortable.
I don't carry a bit in the driver, only a Wave bit in the handle.

Why they didn't apply that to the Freestyle (so you only loose the carbiner)  I couldn't guess - I would buy that!

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #122 on: December 23, 2015, 07:43:58 AM
Man, the concept sketches of multitools really gets me excited. Bummed, at the same time because usually the best ideas get left behind. Too bad leatherman strayed so far from these initial drawings. The main thing I dislike about the Skeletool is that it could be a lot more compact than it is. It would also be pretty easy to get some additional tools on its frame.

Still, really fun looking. Good find!
While I have some love for the Skeletool, my issue is with its size-to-utility ratio. Meaning it only really has 3 tools for being the same size as a Rebar. I just can't sell it to myself lately for an EDC. I even recently made the switch from the Style CS to the Micra because the micra has more tools and is smaller. And who doesn't want their gear to take up as little space as possible...

Perfectly stated. I agree completely. I like to compare the Skeletool to my PPP, and the Skeletool weighs the same or more, but is severely lacking in utility by comparison. Even my Octane has more to offer for the same weight and similar bulk.

At the same time utility doesn't necessarily equal tool count.
I use the blade 8  out of 10 times I reach for the tool and having a one hand opening good blade on a pocket clipped tool in stead of a blade that needs 3-4 manouvers to dig out including de-clumping other tools is more utility to me than having a strap cutter and a mediocre file.
Also the driver is quite sturdy, not having a fulcrum and the beer opener is best in class.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #123 on: December 23, 2015, 02:38:42 PM
I completely understand about weight-to-tool ratio, in fact, I have neglected to carry my Skeletool in the past for the same reason. I think the ergonomics make it appealing to me lately and that clip which makes it ride very nicely in the pocket.

Also, I do make good use of the bit driver and I realized that while it does not have as many onboard tools/implements as other MTs, that I also don't really use a lot of those other tools most of the time.

So I decided to give the Skele another chance and have been enjoying it so far. I've also been carrying my MP600 in a sheath :D

Most importantly, this is why it's nice there are so many MTs available to choose from and keep changing it up.

:multi:
SAW

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #124 on: December 23, 2015, 06:25:24 PM
I think the skeletool is great, yes the pliers are smaller but think of it, none of leatherman or gerbers are truly designed to do automotive or construction, no mater how big, yeah the jaw will fit on some of the jobs, but Their more for hobby or around the shop/house use, thus why everyone breaks them so much. Heck go back to a sak, I did, but if you need a pair of pliers all the time, get a good pair of 6" and a sak, yeah there 2" longer then a Multitool closed, but you just tripled the jobs you can do! Heck what's that leatherman sheath, the one that you can store the tool either open or closed? Get or make something like one of those, put the pliers in then slide the sak between the handles and close it up!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #125 on: December 23, 2015, 09:09:17 PM
I was at my local hardware store looking at one in the case when a clerk approached me who I knew previously from our local Boy Scout Troop.  He handed me his Skeletool and said he loves it, especially for his job at the store,  opening boxes and doing handiwork.  I have to say I was taken by the looks and feel of the Skeletool, and wouldn't mind having one myself!  The carabiner and the interchangible bit/screwdriver really seemed handy.  I could definitely see this on a hiking trip or an EDC.  I love its lack of weight for sure.
Barry

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #126 on: December 23, 2015, 09:34:13 PM
I love the Skeletool, but I have the capacity in my EDC system for heavier tools, so I don't carry mine as often.

But for people into light EDC, it is amazing.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Offline collim1

Reply #127 on: December 24, 2015, 11:20:36 PM
I bought one for my dad for Christmas.  I had never seen one in person, so it was smaller than I thought it would be.  It feels smaller than its dimensions listed on the website. 

I was also disappointed to see that I had to upgrade to better steel to get a plain edge, but for his purposes I think the serrated will be ok.  He does not sharpen his own knives. 

What I do like about it is the quickness with which its few tools can be deployed.  The driver is my most frequently used tool, and it is near instant to deploy with the skeletool.  I think he will like it, and honestly I kind of want one for myself now. 

OP your review helped me decide on this model for his needs.  Thanks for the time. 

us Offline survivaledge

Re: SKELETOOL FROM LEUPOLD DARK GREEN
Reply #128 on: January 20, 2016, 01:45:27 AM
A dark green Skeletool given away with a purchase from Leupold Optics  product September 2015

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:46:43 AM by survivaledge »

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: January 23, 2016, 11:10:40 AM
I started out way back carrying the original PST. Eventually TIG welded a pocket clip on it. I didn't wear belts back then...

EDC'd it for years and then added the original Wave to my drawer. EDC'd it until about 9 years ago.  My new job I took nine years ago was not Wave holster on pocket friendly.  Several years ago I got the first gen Skeletool.  Been carrying it since. Though I did get "busted" at work due to the shiny pocket clip. So I called Leatherman to see if I could order the black clip from the CX.

Gal said they did not sell those parts separately, but sent me one for free.  The clip is so skinny it doesn't really help, but it was a nice gesture by Leatherman. I also wish they'd make a BO version....

Edit....  I also wish the needle nose part of the pliers were more "Wave-ish", or rounded. I personally prefer the longer, rounded Wave needle nose.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
uploadfromtaptalk1453543820959.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1453543820959.jpg (Filesize: 170.79 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1453543834718.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1453543834718.jpg (Filesize: 177.9 KB)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:14:29 AM by zrxoa1 »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #130 on: August 24, 2016, 03:18:45 PM
I just received Leatherman's newest Skeletool model...the Skeletool RX. I had to buy this from eBay Australia as Leatherman is not making this RX available on their Leatherman.CA web site. The image is there, but it only states "unavailable" at the time of this writing. I hope that Leatherman USA sees fit to allow Canadians full access to their inventory in the future.

The Skeletool RX is aimed squarely at the first responders out there. The RX does sport some differences from the normal Skeletool. I must say, the whole package appears to be somewhat lackluster to me. First off, you get a nice Cerekote orange paint job. The orange is just a tad deeper than the European market orange Skeletool. At least, the Cerekote should wear a lot better than the European version which was notorious for having the paint wear off quickly.

On top of the new finish, Leatherman has included a special knife blade for the RX. It is special in that the serrations almost go right to the tip, Normal skeletool knife blades are only partially serrated. Mind you could also spring for a Skeletool CX which features a plain edge blade. For those history buffs, the first gen Skeletools had the PE and serrated blades switched over on the Skeletool and  Skeletool CX.

The third unique thing about the RX is the included Leatherman flat drive bit with a dedicated carbide glass breaker. I looked on the Leatherman USA site, and could not find any replacement glass breaker driver bits for sale. So either they haven't revamped their web site, or you are out of luck if you lose your special driver bit. You also get the usual extra flat driver bit stored in the handles, as with all other Skeletool models out there.

This is an interesting modification of the Skeletool for first responders. I am unsure if this model will be a hit. I am also unsure why the Leatherman website features removable carbide cutters, as my model clearly does not have this feature. The sad part is if they do come up with a removable carbide cutter version, I will have to get that for the collection as well...and the fun I had in getting this one...well...that will be something I won't be looking forward to in the future...if it does happen.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #131 on: August 24, 2016, 03:23:18 PM
How about some bonus photos.

The Skeletool RX now resides a little off from the others due to room availability.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #132 on: August 25, 2016, 03:45:49 AM
Thanks for sharing the pics Chako :cheers: I am glad that they went full serrations on this model as I done get along to well with the combo blade :whistle: I do hope this model helps to save lives and that they see fit to sell it in Canada :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #133 on: August 25, 2016, 06:08:27 AM
So many colors! :drool: I especially like the purple :) do you have the ones that came out for christmas? The sublime and denim?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #134 on: August 25, 2016, 06:19:55 AM
 ;)

I just happened to get a RX as well today.  I think the serrated blade is pretty awesome.  I'll admit tho I am partial to serrated blades.  It's pretty spendy for what you get tho.  Gorgeous color IMO.   
IMG_1419 copy.jpg
* IMG_1419 copy.jpg (Filesize: 192.47 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #135 on: August 25, 2016, 08:03:54 AM
Sorry mrynnr, no I do not have those.

Nice RX Aloha007.  :salute:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #136 on: August 27, 2016, 05:29:57 AM
Holy Skeletool Batman!  :D

Excellent pics that make me have small...... collection envy.  ;)
I'm the milk man!

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: August 27, 2016, 02:10:12 PM
Great read and pictures! Thanks for taking the time to share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline pitbullz4me

Reply #138 on: August 28, 2016, 11:41:43 PM
The Skeletool RX is on my short list of tools I want to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #139 on: November 30, 2016, 09:58:12 PM
Wonder if anyone has any thoughts about this now :think: Different bunch of people active to an extent now and I would like to see pics of some different plier heads from different Skeletools :cheers:

wales Offline Simplon

Reply #140 on: December 02, 2016, 10:33:47 AM
Wonder if anyone has any thoughts about this now :think: Different bunch of people active to an extent now and I would like to see pics of some different plier heads from different Skeletools :cheers:

It's certainly been an interesting thread.  :like:
Simplon.
Now where did I leave my knife?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #141 on: December 02, 2016, 11:07:47 AM
Got one Chako doesn't have :ahhh
dmax_02.jpg
* dmax_02.jpg (Filesize: 102.4 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #142 on: December 02, 2016, 12:12:13 PM
Yes...and I think I won't be able to get one of those either.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #143 on: December 02, 2016, 12:37:46 PM
Yes...and I think I won't be able to get one of those either.
Always happy to help out a member.

Signal
Skeletool

Shipping ought to be around 25USD.

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #144 on: December 02, 2016, 01:13:13 PM
How much would the Skeletool be shipped?  I registered to the website to see if they would ship internationally, and it gave me the error message of the country must be in Switzerland.....
If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #145 on: December 02, 2016, 01:38:31 PM
How much would the Skeletool be shipped?  I registered to the website to see if they would ship internationally, and it gave me the error message of the country must be in Switzerland.....
Its 20 or 25$ I think... bit depending on how much the final package weights. The pair might raise it to 30.

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #146 on: December 02, 2016, 04:26:26 PM
Its 20 or 25$ I think... bit depending on how much the final package weights. The pair might raise it to 30.

How much for you to buy the tool before the shipping?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #147 on: December 02, 2016, 04:34:49 PM

Signal
Skeletool

CHF to USD is roughly 1:1

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #148 on: December 02, 2016, 05:38:33 PM

Signal
Skeletool

CHF to USD is roughly 1:1

Thanks.  I didn't know the conversion rate.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #149 on: December 18, 2016, 12:43:22 PM
Before LM released the additional colours in the Skeletool line up, in addition to the original Red, Yellow, Blue, Orange, CX PE, CX SE and basic S/S model.  I was contemplating buying the RX. But the additional colours plus the outrageous price of the RX simply turned me off. I felt LM  was simply milking the model too much and decided there were better things out there to spend my money on.
It also pretty much put me off LM altogether.....They seem to have gone the same way as Victorinox lately in releasing the same tool in various colour schemes.
I have little time for such greedy marketing tactics.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%