Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Surge

665ae · 14 · 2254

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
LM Surge
on: December 27, 2006, 05:28:15 PM
I received a Surge as a Christmas gift this year... the first thing I thought when I opened it was "Holy @#$! this things huge!"

I remember some other posts on this site where it was brought up how large the Surge was.  Guess I never really paid attention to it.  I carried it yesterday, and it felt like I was carrying a large frame revolver on my belt.  I could definately tell it was there. :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline bobofish

Re: LM Surge
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 09:06:50 PM
It is a big tool.
Maybe a little too big when you're doing EDC. It's a wonderful tool, and I miss mine (traded it in for a charge), but it was so big that it was a conscious effort to carry the thing.

My charge isn't even noticeable when it's clipped in my pocket, until I use it constantly.

However, I do miss several features of the surge: the scissors were great, the fixed screwdriver which I used as a prybar, and the interchangeable blades were great.

That said however, I like the feature on the charge that the pliers have no resistance to opening.....when I'm using them, I don't have to use my thumb to spread them open, I just tilt the tool and the pliers come open. I also haven't pinched my fingers once using the charge.

I think if you're on a construction site or something, the surge is great.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 10:09:16 PM
Now you see what I meant when I said I was sure it was affecting my mileage? :P 

Of course, when I first got it I hadn't really researched it at all, and was expecting something about the size of the Wave, so I certainly know what you mean when you say you were shocked!

I thought I had accidentally ordered a small car when I saw the box!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 11:07:44 PM
I use the saw blade adapter all the time around the house. I like the Surge at home but it's to big for me to carry around everyday.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 11:10:48 PM
I find that horizontal carry suits the Surge better.  It doesn't seem quite as awkward and rides a little closer to you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 11:27:31 PM
I carried the Surge horizontally yesterday.  It was almost uncomfortable to sit with it.  It was really noticeable.  I normally carry the Kick.  Most of the time, I forget the Kick is even there.  The Surge will definately take some getting used to.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 11:35:00 PM
In that case I can certainly see why you'd notice the difference!  The Surge, without the sheath and extra stuff is more than twice the weight of the Kick!

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 02:27:52 AM
theres a reason why they don't call it the boat tool. here's what happened last time I took my surge fishing

* sunka.JPG (Filesize: 32.09 KB)
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 12:09:46 PM
Being a bigger guy the weight of the surge is not the problem I have its the darn sheath that it comes with. I think that it is a good design but it was  poorly constructed. I have gone through 2 of them so far at work. I will be ordering today the spec ops super sheath to carry it in.
S

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 01:55:00 PM
The biggest issue I have with the Surge sheath is that the little vinyl sheath for the extra blades gets mangled in it.  I doubt it will last long, and then what do you do with the extra blades?  Especially the really toothy ones...

I think it might have been a better idea to put an extra velcro flap or two on the front or sides to hold the extra blades.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 02:28:58 PM
theres a reason why they don't call it the boat tool. here's what happened last time I took my surge fishing

:laugh: Good one Fred!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 02:31:05 PM
I noticed the same issues with the Surge sheath. Hawkchucker, let us know how that new super sheath works out for you.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 09:30:12 AM
Would it be possible to swap the Surge bit exchanger for a LM solid phillips? (Blast, Core? not sure if they are different)

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 11:09:47 AM
Being a bigger guy the weight of the surge is not the problem I have its the darn sheath that it comes with. I think that it is a good design but it was  poorly constructed. I have gone through 2 of them so far at work. I will be ordering today the spec ops super sheath to carry it in.
One good thing after you get used to carrying the SURGE, is that what ever other multitool you carry its all lighter even the ranger series knives  :D
Got the same problem with the sheath hawkchucker, could you post pictures of your spec ops super sheath if you get it. Does it have pockets for extra bits and for a pen?

Donald
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%