Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

220 Lumen AAA M3R - Led Lenser

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
220 Lumen AAA M3R - Led Lenser
on: May 16, 2014, 11:13:41 PM
I just got a brand new pocket light! The Led Lenser M3R. Some pictures first

3 Led Lensers, left to right: F1 400 lumen, M3R 220 lumen, P3AFS-P 75 lumen

Size comparison, I added a Bic lighter to compare to.

With a Pioneer on a Mini-D

The low-down: The M3R is one of Led Lensers latest regulated lights. Many flashaholics have looked down upon Led Lenser for not being regulated, but I have always favored them for being able to hold them and try them in a shop. This latest one though, is most likely the best flash light I ever had. High, low and strobe mode, single rechargeable AAA, 220 lumen output, and focus-able. It is dark outside now, so I compared it to the 400 lumen F1, which was my most impressive LED light so far. Guess what? The M3E out performs the F!, which I loaded up with a fresh expensive battery btw. With the focus on spot, it gives a similar throw then the F1, but it is noticeably brighter. Great job from Led Lenser. This light will impress many non believers. Size wise, it is slightly bigger then the P3, also a single AAA light, and slightly heavier. Design wise, Personally I like it because it is black, but I would have liked a tail similar to the F1, anti-roll, and able to tail stand. Overall, the M3R can replace the 2 others it is shown here with, as for output, as for pocketability, and it is rechargeable (USB mini cradle comes in the package) and regulated. A great AAA light!
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

gb Offline Philby

Re: 220 Lumen AAA M3R - Led Lenser
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:26:02 PM
Like the look of that. I use an Mt7 in work, this looks to have the same performance in a much smaller package.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 02:03:09 PM
Interesting, how is the user interface? I think that one may be what my wife is looking for.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 06:09:03 PM
Thanks for the pictures and your thoughts on the light. :salute:

The 220 lumens is with a li-ion battery I assume. Correct? Does the output drop if you use alkalines or eneloops. Do the instructions say anything about using the charger on other betteries except the one that came with the flashlight?

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 06:39:26 PM
Interesting, how is the user interface? I think that one may be what my wife is looking for.

Hi Steinar,
High - Low - Strobe modes
Default is high. if fast clicked on/off repeatedly, you cycle trough the modes
3 fast clicks on/off/on ends you with low.
From any of these modes, press off and not use the light for 2 seconds, it goes back to default high.
You can via half presses cycle trough the modes faster but IMHO half presses are for sissies.
My wife can have my F1, I'll be keeping the M3R for myself.

Thanks for the pictures and your thoughts on the light. :salute:

The 220 lumens is with a li-ion battery I assume. Correct? Does the output drop if you use alkalines or eneloops. Do the instructions say anything about using the charger on other betteries except the one that came with the flashlight?

It uses a CR10440 Lithium battery, and comes with it's own USB charger.

I dropped in an alkaline AAA and then it gives a lower output then my P3 AFS-P. I think the P3 AFS-P is optimized to get 75 Lumen out of a single AAA, while the M3R is optimised to get the most out of the Lithium battery. Also with the alkaline, I notice the refresh rate in the LED. I would stick to the rechargeable for this one. I used it this morning in my garage, and I got the blink warning of low battery in high mode after around one hour, I switched to low mode and got another couple of minutes out of it, before it gave the single blink warning again. Next up was 3 blinks and out it went. On low, it is stated to get 6 hours run time, but I have not tried that yet. This is not an all-nighter light, but it is perfect for EDC. My new favorite. :)
@blackdiamonds_42

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 06:44:01 PM
Anyone else this side of the pond having trouble getting on Led Lenser's web site?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 06:50:53 PM
Anyone else this side of the pond having trouble getting on Led Lenser's web site?

It's a ip redirection thing. Try this site.

http://www.zweibrueder.com/produkte/html_highperformance/html_Mserie/m3r.php?id=m3r

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 07:40:04 PM

It's a ip redirection thing. Try this site.

http://www.zweibrueder.com/produkte/html_highperformance/html_Mserie/m3r.php?id=m3r

Yeah, I know... It's still odd how Led Lenser, an originally German company, doesn't now feature a proper web site for us Europeans... ::)

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:22:12 PM
Beam shot:
Left F1 - fixed lens, right M3R in spot mode, daytime pic, shot at a white wall from 3 meters.
@blackdiamonds_42

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:06:43 AM
OK, I do still like the look of this little guy, but the price is just a bit too rich for my taste.  I do love the idea of 200+ lumen from a AAA sized light. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%