Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Recon

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Victorinox Recon
on: May 17, 2014, 12:26:35 AM
Here's one I've been thinking about for a while too. I like my Trailmaster Nero a lot, but it wants to be carried in a pouch. I wanted to stay with black, and have a pocketable package, one hand blade, locking caplifter/sd/prythingy, and no back phillips or corkscrew. Just the essentials. Like the Sentinel, but with the opener layer, or like the OH Nomad, but without the corkscrew. This is what I came up with, I call it the Recon. A Trailmaster Nero without the saw/phillips layer. I used a Sentinel Nero for it's liner and scale, and this is the result of the combination.

I realize that Cold Steel has a Recon 1 model, but they also stole the Spartan name for one of their models, so I returned the favor. Besides, a Vic Recon is beyond any tactical folder, it's a SAK!

Pictured alone and with my well worn TM. I can hope Vic eventually makes a factory model like this, but really doubt it. For my next trick, I will add a Vic clip to it (in black) as soon as it arrives from Italy.  :)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 218.04 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 243.69 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 272.76 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 294.15 KB)

us Offline twiliter

Re: Victorinox Recon
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:27:30 AM
 :)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 274.33 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 282.14 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 301.86 KB)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 03:25:38 AM
Let me be as subtle as I can:
I WANT ONE!!!!!!! :sak: :sak: :sak:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 03:38:49 AM

Actually that is pretty subtle coming from a Jersey guy.  ;)  Our international members might not know, but we can be a bit blunt at times......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 04:15:23 AM

Actually that is pretty subtle coming from a Jersey guy.  ;)  Our international members might not know, but we can be a bit blunt at times......

They haven't a smurfing clue!  :whistle:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:17:05 AM by BIG-TARGET »
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 05:32:28 AM
I like it. There are a lot of smaller, speSmurfpillst military units that are dropping two, three hundred dollars on high speed, low drag, max BS knives that honestly aren't as good as a $50 Victorinox. And they are just knives. Vic could be targeting this market, and maybe even take lunch money from some swaggering jackels.

And guys, I have a lot of customers in New Jersey, and I hate to tell you this, but they are down right pleasant to deal with, gracious and if anything, too polite and self effacing when I need to help them fix their problems. At least when compared to the ones in Brooklyn.  :D

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 05:48:42 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 01:31:53 PM

And guys, I have a lot of customers in New Jersey, and I hate to tell you this, but they are down right pleasant to deal with, gracious and if anything, too polite and self effacing when I need to help them fix their problems. At least when compared to the ones in Brooklyn.  :D
SHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :sa:
Don't let it out!! :dwts:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 01:57:05 PM
I wanted one too Big T, and the parts were obtainable, but it did produce some very expensive leftovers. A polished stainless one would be doable too, but I really like the black finish. :tu:

I wasn't really inspired by the tactical folders, more by the Leatherman C33T multi's. I use the locking SD a lot on my Trailmaster, and really don't want to be limited to a single blade.  :)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 02:22:19 PM
I wanted one too Big T, and the parts were obtainable, but it did produce some very expensive leftovers. A polished stainless one would be doable too, but I really like the black finish. :tu:

I wasn't really inspired by the tactical folders, more by the Leatherman C33T multi's. I use the locking SD a lot on my Trailmaster, and really don't want to be limited to a single blade.  :)
I agree with you!  The "tactic-COOL" knives are woefully overrated.  And worse, overpriced to point you're actually afraid to use them :whistle:
On the other hand.  The SAK lockblade(alng with the LM c33): keep it clean, keep it oiled, keep it sharp, don't act like a horse's a$$ with it, and it will serve you far better than any tactical knife.  And it will probably outlive your grandchildren :sak: :tu:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:23:59 PM by BIG-TARGET »

us Offline twiliter

Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 02:38:17 PM
And if a zombie apocalypse happens, a Vic 111 will hold me until I can find an old Elsener bayonet or something, lol...  :cheers:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 03:01:06 PM
And if a zombie apocalypse happens, a Vic 111 will hold me until I can find an old Elsener bayonet or something, lol...  :cheers:
I think I'm :duel: :viking:  :SAKnight:
But I'm actually :mn: :pommel:   :ahhh
:whistle:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 03:04:12 PM by BIG-TARGET »

us Offline twiliter

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 03:09:33 PM

lol, me too, but mostly  :ahhh

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 03:15:18 PM
Nicely done! :cheers:

Very :vader: like.

:D

I like it. There are a lot of smaller, speSmurfpillst military units that are dropping two, three hundred dollars on high speed, low drag, max BS knives that honestly aren't as good as a $50 Victorinox. And they are just knives. Vic could be targeting this market, and maybe even take lunch money from some swaggering jackels.

There are actually quite a few countries all over the world that issue SAKs to their troops. From something as simple as a Bantam (Singapore used to issue a black one, they are switching to Vic OHTs now) to a full sized SwissTool.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 03:30:04 PM
Thanks Enki, and cheers! :cheers:

It's a great idea (and an old idea for the Swiss) to issue SAK's, with all the equipment maintenance that needs to happen in the military. I think the move to LM type pliers based tools makes the most sense (with the Vic Spirit as the ultimate of course!)... :tu:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 03:08:41 AM

It's a great idea (and an old idea for the Swiss) to issue SAK's, with all the equipment maintenance that needs to happen in the military. I think the move to LM type pliers based tools makes the most sense (with the Vic Spirit as the ultimate of course!)... :tu:
Aren't LMs in Switzerland punishable by death? :think:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 01:13:11 PM

Aren't LMs in Switzerland punishable by death? :think:

The SwissTools owe a lot to their granddaddy LM's, so maybe not.  :D

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 03:15:22 AM

lol, me too, but mostly  :ahhh
And this would be my epitaph:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 06:06:48 AM
There are actually quite a few countries all over the world that issue SAKs to their troops.

Oh, I know. But I was thinking of what Vic could do with a little bit of reshaping on the blade (like JAFromMN's mods to his Hunter XT), a good pocket clip, maybe even 111mm alox, matte black blades and scales (or FDE or folige), built and marketed as a defensive/survival/utility knife ala Spyderco or Benchmade. But still with tools, like the OHT/GAK or Hunter XT/DAK. Price it so we get online prices of $45-60

I mean it is working out pretty well for the MUT despite THAT item's price point.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 09:58:06 PM
Completely rebuilt, version 1.1. Disassembled and polished all the tools and liners of the residue that usually comes on these black ones, repeened (more carefully this time ;)), and installed a clip scale with black Vic clip. Debated using PE blade, but the serrated one is more aggressive and has served well on my Trailmaster, so that decided that. Removed the ring and lanyard, and oiled it to death like the factory does, then cleaned it thoroughly. I think it's ready for trial runs.  :)

A side note, the Master RT is extremely useful during SAK builds, the file is amazing. :tu: I may have to put it in EDC rotation soon, but it likes it's home on the workbench for now. :salute:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 301.42 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 333.28 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 335.79 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 331.8 KB)

us Offline twiliter

Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 11:46:49 PM
 :)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 292.37 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 312.89 KB)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 315.8 KB)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 03:26:00 AM
I have an idea :think:
Replace both can opener and bottle opener with one combination tool :tool: :sak:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 03:49:18 AM
Replace both can opener and bottle opener with one combination tool :tool: :sak:

Yes a good idea.  :) Actually I would like just the locking caplifter and locking blade, but I can't configure it that way with factory parts. A black combo tool and electrician blade would be cool if I could find the right parts, but I would have to have an extreme duty combo tool, it's the most used tool for me.  Wish they had more options for the OH liner lock in black, but I'm definitely thinking about hybrids--OH liner lock with greater selection of slide lock tools, but as I understand the pins are different. I don't have the modding skills yet, but I'm working on it... :tu:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 04:18:05 AM

Yes a good idea.  :) Actually I would like just the locking caplifter and locking blade, but I can't configure it that way with factory parts. A black combo tool and electrician blade would be cool if I could find the right parts, but I would have to have an extreme duty combo tool, it's the most used tool for me.  Wish they had more options for the OH liner lock in black, but I'm definitely thinking about hybrids--OH liner lock with greater selection of slide lock tools, but as I understand the pins are different. I don't have the modding skills yet, but I'm working on it... :tu:
When you start selling them, let me know :sak: :tu:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 11:11:32 PM
A couple of pics for Mike, per his inquiry. Two tone at the moment.  :tu:

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2022, 10:13:55 PM
It’s all black so now you have MY attention!! I must know where to get one. Or at the very least how to blacken them. Very VERY nice.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%