Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hi Everyone!

AaronX · 21 · 1049

00 Offline AaronX

Hi Everyone!
on: May 23, 2014, 02:00:16 AM
New member here. Glad to join this forum. A bit about myself: I've had a Leatherman PST II for the past 14 years and carried it almost every day for the past 8 years, but only really got into it in the last 2 years or so, after noticing how useful it was. Some people who saw it had never seen anything like it ??? Unfortunately the file broke while using it as a lever this year, so I had a chance to test Leatherman's warranty. I filled out the form and mailed it in with my tool (I'm not in the U.S.) and waited... and waited... I thought they would charge me because the damage was my fault, or at least for shipping, but last week I received a Rebar in the mail! So they replaced my tool, no questions asked, and even paid for return shipping. Really impressive. While waiting I got a bit impatient and bought the Style PS, deciding to carry it every day instead of the big tool. The Rebar is nice, but I really want a tool with the scissors, so I'm seeing if I can sell/trade it for a Wave/Charge.

So this encounter with Leatherman has spurred my interest in multitools, and here I am. Other than my 2 Leathermans, I have a couple of Victorinoxes (not sure what models). I've also recently become interested in OPMTs, and have a titanium one on the way from eBay.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Re: Hi Everyone!
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 02:09:30 AM
Welcome to MTO!
Leatherman

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 02:26:21 AM
Welcome aboard  :cheers:

This is a great place to find out about any MTs you may be thinking of getting (but be warned, they can be addictive and we have some very skilled enablers around here   ;)   )
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 02:39:56 AM
Hello  :waving:, big fan of the Wave and it's really big brother the Surge.  Have you considered on of the tools from the Juice Line?  Smaller than the Rebar and larger that the Style PS.  There are a lot of great MTs to choose from and since you have Vic's you may already have scissors which if you do you know they are excellent.  Have fun and if we can answer any and I mean ANY questions please ask away.  We love spending others money  :whistle:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 03:28:06 AM
Welcome to the MTO!  :cheers:

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 03:42:57 AM
Welcome
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 11:42:14 AM
Hello!

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 12:13:33 PM
I happen to carry a Wave most recently because it uses the replaceable bits that I find so useful. I hope you are successful in trading up to one.

Welcome to MTO :cheers:
SAW

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 01:26:45 PM
Thanks, everyone. Yeah I like the Juice's tools, but none of them lock. I want at least the knife to lock. Speaking of locking, I remember my PST II said if one of the tools closes, the other handle will block it. I thought that was good enough. Looking at the Rebar, wow now THAT'S locking!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 01:49:18 PM
Welcome aboard! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 03:06:53 PM
Welcome to MTO!!  :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 05:24:38 PM
Welcome mate
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 06:33:34 PM
Welcome to the forum. Good to hear Leatherman took care of you  :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 08:29:45 PM
Welcome. :waving:

Nice to have you with us and a very nice intro post.

If you post a picture of your Victorinox knives, I'm sure well soon be able to tell you what they are and maybe even the year they were made. We're strange like that. :D

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 09:14:36 PM
Welcome! :cheers:

-----------------------------
Using a future communicator stolen from the NCC-1701

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 04:39:49 PM
Welcome. :waving:

Nice to have you with us and a very nice intro post.

If you post a picture of your Victorinox knives, I'm sure well soon be able to tell you what they are and maybe even the year they were made. We're strange like that. :D

I dug 'em out and got a picture of them! Well, one of them:

Its tools are: big and small blades (small blade not opened as I couldn't figure out how without slicing myself), scissors, can opener and screwdriver, bottle opener and screwdriver and wire stripper, corkscrew, awl, carrying hook, toothpick, tweezers. It has a matte red finish. I saw one that looked like this today called the Climber? Heey it looks like this :climber: too. My other one is simpler, I know it doesn't have a scissors. I can't find it but I have an idea of where it is.

Wow maybe I'm used to Leatherman tools, but picking this Victorinox up after so many years, it feels... refined. Like, polished and smooth. Especially the hinges. Maybe they're meant for a more office/traveler type crowd, hence some tools like the corkscrew. Leatherman seems more for DIY/hardware/builder work. And wow, the scissors is huge! I don't remember being it this big haha. This is the best scissors amongst my MTs. I just might carry this again. Thanks, MT.O!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 05:00:23 PM
Nice climber!  :climber:  Still one of my favourite SAK's  :tu:

Also, welcome to the forum! :D

And yeah, most SAK's are lighter duty than the large Leatherman's, though there are certainly non-office SAK models. For heavier duty, have a look at the 93mm ALOX SAK's, or the 111mm Victorinox or 130mm Wenger Ranger models ;)

(Or don't, if you like money in your wallet, and food, and such  :whistle: :whistle: )
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 05:40:33 PM
I'm on the phone but those look like nylon scales to me. I think that was a canadian special Climber, had a special name too. :think: I'll update if I remember.

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 05:59:09 PM
Wow I didn't know I had such a popular model. I chose it because of the scissors. Is it like the PST or something?

Its scales are matte, not glossy. Is the Canadian edition rare? Is it worth more money?

The Climbers I saw today were about twice the price I paid for mine!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 06:07:01 PM
More info on Climbers can be found here: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Climber

And, no, it's not really the PST of the SAK's, for that you gotta go "slightly" earlier, with the original Swiss Soldier Knife, first issued to the Swiss military in 1891 ;)

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Soldier+1890
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 02:38:07 PM
Don't mind me. :facepalm:

I was thinking of the two layered Vic Driver (sold by CanadianTire) and got my wires crossed. The nylon scaled SAKs are usually a bit cheaper that the regular models but are more scratch and chipping resistant.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%