Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How did you find MT.O, and what kept you here?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: How did you find MT.O, and what kept you here?
Reply #90 on: April 10, 2012, 02:16:12 AM
Ash mentioned it in her video about her modded Farmer from a member here.

I'll be darned if I can remember the modder's name (Steve?) but I did remember 'multitool.org'.

I'm a member of bladeforums and knifeforums, but I find I'm more interested in SAKs and pliers-based tools than of just pure knives. Most knife fora seem to revolve around those who are interested in knives as weapons or potential weapons. But that is not what I use a knife for, and the tactical fantasies get kind of old after a while.

As for it keeping me here, we'll see about that, but it looks good from what I've seen in the 20 minutes or so I've been a member, hehehe.

That modder would be me ;) I think.

I have to say, I've been seriously tempted by a large number of your mods Steve.  Really fantastic work.    I have a couple tools I am tempted to ask you about merging... >:D

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
How did you find MT.O, and what kept you here?
Reply #91 on: April 10, 2012, 02:53:16 AM
I should get a free tool from Def for my youtube advertisements people seem to be following. :rofl:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #92 on: April 10, 2012, 04:14:07 AM
I found MT.O when I was researching Leatherman's warranty and its reputation. My Charge needed the file replaced (I used it to hacksaw through a steel cable), and I wanted to see how others had fared before I boxed it up and sent it off.

When I read beyond those Google hits and started through the actual forums, I realized there were really other MT nuts like me.  :o

I've since gotten worse, of course, doubling my collection since then.  :cheers:

us Offline PACLiteCordage

Reply #93 on: April 10, 2012, 05:29:55 AM
I was introduce by Scattergun13, and what keeps me here. The fact that I am amazed at how little I know about the Multitool world. This place is a plethora of knowledge, amd Im trying to learn all I can!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #94 on: April 10, 2012, 06:22:52 AM
I found MT.O by accident while surfing. As soon as I signed on I was welcomed by Grant and MultiMat who were both kind enough to introduce themselves and ask me about my dog as well as share pictures of theirs. I was instantly drawn to the vast amount of knowlege that exists here and have made a number of friends since I arrived.
I'm also pleased to say that every deal I've done with site members has been a true pleasure and unlike many internet sites, this one truly has the feel of an extended family. Moderation is more than fair and there's never the usual political fighting that is so off-putting to me. It was very easy for me to invite a friend "PacLiteCordage" to the site to enjoy the comraderie that we both miss from our days in the Marine Corps.
My thanks to all here, mods and members alike who police themselves to make this site what it is. Tattoosteve, Ashley, Def, Jzmtl, MultiMat, Sazabi, Zed, EDC Gear, Travis, CaptainSpaulding and the many others that I've done deals with, thanks for being honest, straightforward good people. In my line of work I just don't see this much anymore, it is a character trait that seems to be going the way of our greatest generation, the brave men and women of WWII.
Respectfully,
Stew and K9 partner Ajo...
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #95 on: April 10, 2012, 06:29:55 AM
I should get a free tool from Def for my youtube advertisements people seem to be following. :rofl:

Sent from Ash forum mobile
Def is a free tool! BAZZZING! :rofl: runs away to hide fearing Def's retribution... :whistle:
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #96 on: April 10, 2012, 08:03:39 AM
I found this forum through the main page of Multitool.org one day while researching new Leatherman tools.  I was getting into EDC and had been a member of EDCF for about 6 months when I found this place.  I joined up and could tell from the hilarious responses (def's famous shower pic made an appearance I believe) in my Intro thread that I would love it here.  I just love the fun culture and freedom that this place has to offer.  I have been a member of several forums that are almost hostile to free thinkers(who aren't part of their clique) and I can't stand the condescending way most of them operate. At this site, you can poke fun at the owner and Mods and they will laugh and poke right back.  I love that. I mod another forum now, but this place will always be my home. 

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: April 10, 2012, 09:19:50 AM
Google.  Looking for info on the Kf4

Stayed because this place is way, way more laid back than most other forums that deal with the same subject matter.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #98 on: April 10, 2012, 03:30:36 PM
My memory is a little cloudy as it's been a couple years, but I most likely stumbled across MTO while surfing for Leatherman tools.  I found it such a wealth of information and friendly faces, that I did not put off registering and introducing myself for very long.

I've since gained a wealth of information about multitools and SAKs and am still learning.  It's been expensive at times trying out the different products but to me has been well worth it!  I'm still a fan of all things gadgets, knives, tools, lights, etc, but my tastes have changed due to the knowledge and experiences shared here.

A big thanks to MTO and its members - don't ever change  :cheers:
SAW

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #99 on: April 14, 2012, 04:05:42 PM
I think I stumbed on www.multitool.org 1st, then found the forum from there.

I had been carrying a single blade knife, usually a tactical type for awhile.  Then I decided I hardly ever used it, and didn't like carrying useless stuff, so I stopped carrying a knife at all for about 2-3 years.

I had an alox Vic electrician that I kept in my lunch box to cut apples, peel oranges and I would occasionally grab that at work to use the screwdriver.

Then my grandfather passed away and out of a box of junky knives he had left, there was a Vic recruit.  At that point I thought, these are handy enough I should start carry one again (I was SAK obsessed as a kid...wow, that sounds bad  :ahhh  :o  ;)).

Then I started looking for like minded people on the interwebs, found SOSAK, then the SOSAK forum, then mutitool.org then the forums!

Definitely my favorite web forum, and usually the only one I view on a near daily basis!  Love the community and friendliness hear!
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: April 14, 2012, 09:57:53 PM
Wow, this thread pre-dates my joining as well. :D  Like quite a few folks I came over from the SOSAK forum, totally addicted to them at the time.  IIRC I only had a Supertool and PST when I first joined up, though that might have changed by now. :angel:  Stuck around for the banter and good folks that are here. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #101 on: April 14, 2012, 11:36:43 PM
I just went back and re-read this thread from the beginning. What fun! Thanks for digging it back up Grant :cheers:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #102 on: April 15, 2012, 12:01:34 AM
Grant (Def) turned me to this place in 08 when I was in SOSAK. I was a Die hard CT 41 fan. Then I won a Swiss tool in a contest with a pic with Beer, chickens and a SAK. Funny contest that was. Thus starting my downward spiral into multitools. That is when Def shot me a pm for MT.O.

For the record, the CT 41 is still the best SAK and I carry it on lite carry days.
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #103 on: April 15, 2012, 01:56:52 AM
I just went back and re-read this thread from the beginning. What fun! Thanks for digging it back up Grant :cheers:

Yeah, it's fun to be reminded of all the names we haven't seen in a while, as well as many of the names that have come here since!

Grant (Def) turned me to this place in 08 when I was in SOSAK. I was a Die hard CT 41 fan. Then I won a Swiss tool in a contest with a pic with Beer, chickens and a SAK. Funny contest that was. Thus starting my downward spiral into multitools. That is when Def shot me a pm for MT.O.

For the record, the CT 41 is still the best SAK and I carry it on lite carry days.

Me?  Spam folks at KF?  Never!   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #104 on: April 15, 2012, 07:49:06 PM
As best as I can remember,I found a random mention of SAK modding on Wikipedia.I then came across Neil on ebay(but I was out bid for him),then came across him(and a number of the rest ou you)on SOSAK,which led here.

Why am I still here?Def wont give me the negitives back :cry:  :cry:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #105 on: April 15, 2012, 08:06:10 PM
It's company policy to keep the negatives in a secure location... I told you that!  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #106 on: April 16, 2012, 04:58:36 PM
pics?
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline batrev

Reply #107 on: April 18, 2012, 12:21:27 PM
I like the fact that there's no snobery. It doesn't matter if someone has a cheapo its all about the multis  :multi:
Bok bok therapy cranes!! Booooooook!!!!

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #108 on: April 19, 2012, 01:54:09 AM
How did you find MTO...well, I was trolling the glorious web for hardcore, down right filthy tool action with a bit of class :D

What kept you here...hardcore, down right filthy tool action with a bit of class :D
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline batrev

Reply #109 on: April 19, 2012, 04:39:44 AM
I'm supposed to have a bit of class?????? :ahhh :ahhh
Bok bok therapy cranes!! Booooooook!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #110 on: April 20, 2012, 03:15:51 AM
I'm supposed to have a bit of class?????? :ahhh :ahhh

Yeah, we have some class somewhere around here.  Being collectors though we never use it, preferring to keep it bnib...

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #111 on: November 16, 2020, 05:24:19 PM
I had a few MTs already and was ready to get my next one.  I was debating between the Surge ( old style at the time ) and Wave.  As I was researching online I stumbled upon Metros mods  :ahhh.  I had no idea there was such a thing.  I learned a New version of the Surge was coming out by reading MTO threads so I decided to get the Wave and wait for the New Surge release.  A member posted a good deal on the Wave and I pulled the trigger.

As I waited for my new LM I was reading ( lurking ) thru random threads.  I was tickled with some of the conversations going on.  It seemed like everyone was having such a good time and talking tools and such.  I then found Chakos pics of his collection  :hatsoff:.  The story of why he began to collect kinda prompted me as well as others collections to collect.  Up to that point I was using MTs with no intention to buy and store. 

I continued to lurk MTO for a short while then decided to register an account.  I am so glad I did.  I have met some wonderful people and have had so much fun.  While I no longer actively seek out MTs to collect I have found other fun avenues this site offers to keep me interested tool wise. 

What keeps me here?  There are so many of you who keep me here.  I enjoyed coming here and reading all the back and forth conversations.  I laughed so hard sometimes and was also floored with the generosity.  I taught my kids to be careful while online yet here on MTO I was witnessing kindness and courtesy everyday.  The spirit of MTO and its members keep me here.  I appreciate everyone who engages by sharing their knowledge ( WOW the knowledge here is second to none ), those who take some amazing pictures and share them, the personal stories some of you share ( thank you for trusting us ), the general respect for each other ( we still going in for that plot of land so we can have the country/province/territory or MTO? ).

What keeps me here is an escape from day to day business of life.  Its a great way to spend some time and relax and have a few laughs and in most cases learn something.   My kids used to be a bit curious as to why I was on MTO.  Over the years they have come to understand MTO is more than just a website of people who like MTs.  My partner also understand this as well.  I've shared my journey with y'all with her.  She'll often ask "What's up with the guys/gals of MTO?"

What keep me here is y'all.  Thank you very much for making MTO a second home.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #112 on: November 16, 2020, 06:00:53 PM
Oh, THIS thread again. Thanks for the revival.  :D

What keep me here is y'all.  Thank you very much for making MTO a second home.     

^^^ This. I don't log in as often as I used to, but whenever something makes me think of MT.O and hop on the forums again it is the people who make me smile. Well, and maybe their neat gadgets too.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #113 on: November 16, 2020, 06:04:36 PM
I missed this thread all these years and just happened upon it so I had to post my thoughts. 

Thanks for popping in  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #114 on: November 16, 2020, 06:37:55 PM
Great post Aloha !   :like:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: November 16, 2020, 06:53:10 PM
What got me here...  Around 2007 I discovered SOSAK online, which helped me decide upon purchasing the Spartan Lite.  I ultimately purchased the Soldier entirely on impulse. 

In 2019 I lurked around MTo, mostly for the pictures, and I wasn't much for the discussion at the time.  I really don't remember what made me join MTo... I think it was the notion that being involved in the discussion would be a way for me to get my antennae out for a nonserrated OHT that I was after.  I've since gotten one. 

What's kept me here is the pictures, the discussions, and the good people here.  There's no politics, no flaming and trolling, grimy bits of internet culture.   It's also a good sounding board for the pointless SAK and MT related randomness that pops in my head.  I can spend two hours mulling over which SAK I should carry, and wondering how to line up practicality and plain old silly obsession, and there's always someone here to sort me out or send me down some rabbit hole so I can obsess less about any one thing. 

:cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #116 on: November 16, 2020, 06:55:53 PM
and there's always someone here to sort me out or send me down some rabbit hole so I can obsess less about any one thing. 

:cheers:

:iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #117 on: November 16, 2020, 08:50:09 PM
I found MTO in 2016 to find out if a Spirit S BO was worth getting over a standard one.

I stayed because of the atmosphere and members.
A year later, some fun competitions to win cool prizes. It was unbelievable.

However...

I feel as if the quality of the forum has been declining.
The atmosphere isn't what it used to be,
The posts and reviews aren't what they used to be,
Some members feel as if it's their destiny to turn this page into a doomsday preppers page, without anything or anyone stopping them,
Promises aren't kept,

I think I could go on for a while.

I've seen a few long time members log off forever without any further notice here, because of the way things have been going (asked them through other channels after)

So what's keeping me here now?
The members I bonded with.
Without them, I don't think I'd be here anymore either.
Which is rather sad... I'd love to rewind the forum to what it was 5(+) years ago.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #118 on: November 16, 2020, 08:54:44 PM
 :( Sorry to hear this Mechy.  I have seen an ebb and flow as well but I stayed away from certain boards before I became a moderator because they were not of interest or leaned too far into directions I wasn't wanting to go.  I tended to keep to boards that were of higher level of interest like fixed blades, LM, and such.  I found my time on MTO was very pleasant and topics were filtered by my preferences. 

I enjoy you on this forum so I am glad you are here.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #119 on: November 16, 2020, 09:35:12 PM
Aaahw thanks <3
I definitely like having you around too.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%