Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

newbie and the law..carrying knives paranoia and asking advice

w0z · 17 · 2427

Offline w0z

• New User
Hi all this is my first post.
I'm not sure whether to compound my questions into one post so willing to take advice if this post is too broad.
To cut to the quick (well it is knife related) I was bought a gift of a LM Wingman as a gift. I always wanted a multitool so was I delighted, that is until I saw a LM Wave...and then started looking at other tools. Now I have the bug so I'm going to upgrade. The Wingman remains unused in it's box...
However before I can decide what to do my problem is that in the UK it's illegal to carry a locking knife. I wan't to be able to carry it without worrying that Mr Plod would in theory just be able to prosecute me (that's the paranoia) and, tbh I don't really have much use for a large locking knife, my tiny Victor penknife is adequate for most cutting edge situations.
I do want interchangeable extendible bits, a saw, file  needle nose/normal pliers, wire cutter/stripper etc. (I love the locking pliers on the crunch but it has to meet lots of other parameters too) but I don't really need or particularly want a big locking knife. The quality and guarantee are very important too.
What are my best options? I'm not stuck to any make, and I don't do horses hooves and sheep, but I do have cats (which strangely is one of the things which brought me here). I tried fixing the cat but she won...and I still have the scars.
I do fix lots of tech/electric etc.
thanks
w
P.S. Would the saw be viewed by plod as a knife?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Welcome to mto,there many of us here from the uk,you might need a modded mt,i carried a bladeless sog ppp and a bladeless lm kick but prefer a juice xe6 or s2 as my uk legal edc,sogs a good mt as can change parts but lm parts are much better in my opinion  :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
That shouldn't be too difficult, just take a look at the Leatherman Juice series, and you should find something you like(an extender bit kit needs to be purchased seperately).  If you'd like something more 'micro', I would also recommend PS4.

In terms of consistent quality, then I'd recommend SAK, but it is not a pliers based MT.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I'm not sure I want to ask what you were trying to fix on the cat....

I'm London based,but have the advantage of being white and middle aged. I've EDC a Wave without issue,but in ignorance of the law at the time. I now have a number of modded bladeless multis,including,like Zed,a SOG PPP. I also have a Fuse I modded to carry Wave bit drivers,but mostly carry bladeless PSTs and Sideclips ATM( known as KSTs and the Kirkyclip respectively). The first generation LMs can take the Tool Adopter for standard quarter inch bits,as opposed to the Wave style 2d double sided bits.

There's folks here(Petervn?) who've fitted SOG saws to PSTs.

Nobodies said it yet,but you can always mate your MT to a complementary SAK  :pok:

Ps
Hi and welcome 
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Got to say I've given up on the MT's as there just not worth the potential grief to me when say a swisschamp  and a set of pliers can do everything thing in a nice legal package :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
As the guys above said, your options are:
- Go with one of the early non-locking multitools (e.g., PST, PPP, Paratool, ...)
- Mod a multitool to make it bladeless
- Pair a SAK with pliers

I usually carry just a Juice S2 as it covers most of my day-to-day needs. Every now and then I rotate that with a Juice KF4 plus Vic alox Classic or LM Micra, and even less frequently for a Vic Explorer plus a 4'' ViseGrip. I usually have a LM bit kit with me as well, used with an LM extender and Vic ratchet, and coupled with a PW-II. I've yet to find a situation that these combinations cannot handle well... Keep in mind that, in the eyes of the law, a saw is also (vaguely) a blade, and so is a sharpened awl.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Has anyone ever modded a Wave, or other lockblade MT, to just file down the portion of the blade that engages the lock (effectively making it a non lock blade)? Maybe not the most eloquent solution, but should be fairly simple. :think:

Anyway, w0z, welcome, and I hope you can find a solution to your needs. :salute:

00 Offline av8r1

How would one file a liner lock blade so as to not engage the lock?  Carve the tang of the blade into a downward-facing ramp?

I. Just. Don't understand the UK law against locking knives.  The lock is there to keep it from folding on your fingers in use.  Apparently, Her Majesty wants her people to cut themselves.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

Offline w0z

• New User
Thank you all so much for your helpful replies; TLA's (and 2LA's for that matter) are very popular here! I didn't know most of them! I had to look up EDC - oh the shame of it :facepalm:, obvious really (once I'd looked it up), and zed and PST... ..and...UTCAA....
Presumably the zed refers to homemadetools dot net? I hadn't seen that previously so thanks for the tip.
Please can anyone clarify the adapter thing? Is there an adapter I can use with current LM's that will allow the use of my existing 1/4" bits or do the current LM's (like the Wave) only fit the proprietary LM bits?
It could be modded not to lock, but like I said, I don't envisage the need for a long sharp knife, although I can see a need for something to prise stuff apart but it doesn't need to have a razor edge or a sharp pointy bit.
I now have too many options but I guess the paradigm is the same for MT's as it is for cameras, the most useful MT is the one that's with you...
I too don't understand the law, surely it should be about intent, not about what's in your trousers (so to speak).

00 Offline av8r1

I too don't understand the law, surely it should be about intent, not about what's in your trousers (so to speak).

Preach it, brother wOz!
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Laws are pretty crud but thats been spoken about alot,i stick too the general rule a blade under 3inches and non locking in my pocket and a full sized mt in my maxpedition organizer in my backpack  :whistle:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41435.msg661593.html#msg661593

That's the Leatherman Tool Adopter that's designed for the PST/Sideclip /Supertool. The Universal was for the Old Wave and lacks the small vertical flange,and will fit most butterfly type MTs

Leatherman tool adopter in a Wingman
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:16:15 AM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Hearing about the UK laws really bums me out (I'm on a few shooting forums too so am familiar with the gun laws) :( From the outside the UK gives them impression of being well and truly on your way to an Orwellian 1984 type situation!

Now to try to be helpful :) You could consider a Juice XE6, and then buy the LM bit adapter? It gives you all the same tools as the wave (although lighter duty) and the little bit adapter sits over the phillips driver and you can use the standard 1/4" bits or LM's bits in them?

I'd probably be looking at that if I was in your situation.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
firstly welcome wOz  :cheers:
second ~
Thank you all so much for your helpful replies; TLA's (and 2LA's for that matter) are very popular here! I didn't know most of them! I had to look up EDC - oh the shame of it :facepalm:, obvious really (once I'd looked it up), and zed and PST... ..and...UTCAA....
Presumably the zed refers to homemadetools dot net? I hadn't seen that previously so thanks for the tip.
Please can anyone clarify the adapter thing? Is there an adapter I can use with current LM's that will allow the use of my existing 1/4" bits or do the current LM's (like the Wave) only fit the proprietary LM bits?
It could be modded not to lock, but like I said, I don't envisage the need for a long sharp knife, although I can see a need for something to prise stuff apart but it doesn't need to have a razor edge or a sharp pointy bit.
I now have too many options but I guess the paradigm is the same for MT's as it is for cameras, the most useful MT is the one that's with you...
Zed is Pauls 'Pseudonym'  ::) (he used to use 'bunnikins' but that's another story)

lastly I've said this before on outher threads here about the rather silly UK knife laws, Mr Plod has to make an on the spot call as to what IS legal. very few of them have an extensive knowledge of the 'bladed article act' (nor any law in my experience) so even a pointed stick could land you in hot water and get you a trip to the local copshop while they work out what to do ! my thinking is don't carry ANYTHING to places where you might get searched (ie nightclubs/football matches or court houses) I've had people recoil in horror at the sight of a victorinox classic just because they see something sharp and remember all the 'slasher films' they've seen and newspaper articles that paint us knife-nuts as maniacs

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
<---had to look up Mr. Plod.  :rofl:

Carry on!  :)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline nelson

I've carried full size locking multis for over twenty years for work (Wave, Charge, Surge), but would usually be on or between sites and head to toe in either PPE or workwear so have a reasonable explanation for carrying.

Out of work, I always have a full size in the car, like a Surge, but would lean toward a smaller tool like a LM mini, Sideclip or Sog Paratool where the blades don't look threatening or have instant access.

Essentially 'off work' is the time I rotate in the light duty or collectible tools for my own enjoyment.

I think if your smart and the situation suits the tool you'll be ok. Don't take anything bladed where there is alcohol consumption though, that's asking for trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
bear in mind that if you're using the MT for work purposes or have some other reason that you could face down a police man and justify your reason for carrying you can carry pretty much anything.

Equally you can be waving a limp carrot around in a threatening manner and get done.

Anyway, are you averse to modding / mods? A bladeless Fuse much be an option if you can find one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%