Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Cross Brass Lined Alox: Replace broken tool/s or keep as is?

au Offline Mark in Oz

I restrict my SAK collection to old cross red alox with brass, hopefully with lots of pocket wear, and tools in great condition. I just got a bargain on a Farmer that has had the blade, saw, springs and keyring replaced by Victorinox, under their lifetime warranty. According to the seller, it is alittle bit of a pain to get them to do, but it is possible. Its in my EDC rotation, so its non-original parts don't bother me, infact I quite like having the fully functional tools.

This got me thinking about a OC Pioneer I have, where the blade tip has been snapped and reground. I really don't like it like that, and infact if I got that point sharp again, handling it closed could be alittle dangerous, as it sticks up abit. I've also seen other knives I like for sale, but with a snapped awl.

So, my questions are:

1) Is replacing broken/worn out tools for new ones on OC brass liner alox SAKreligious, and not honouring the history/age of the tool?

2) Does it increase or decrease the value of the knife?

3) If you've done this, any tips on working with Victorinox to make sure you get what you want? (I'm in Australia, so I'd be sending them to Sheldon & Hammond Pty Ltd, in Asquith, NSW, the one Australian SAK Service Centre).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Wanted to Buy:
* Victorinox Straight Ribbed Cadet I (with nail file) in red alox (worn preferred)
* Victorinox Old Cross Pioneer, red alox (worn preferred), brass liners & keyring

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Pioneers are common enough that I see no need to keep original broken tools.   If the tool were a rarity, I would reconsider replacing worn out tools.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Could we see picture of your sak? how much is snapped off? Can you file that tip down,  so you can use it as is?

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Pioneers are common enough that I see no need to keep original broken tools.   If the tool were a rarity, I would reconsider replacing worn out tools.

Well said!!! +100 
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
1) Is replacing broken/worn out tools for new ones on OC brass liner alox SAKreligious, and not honouring the history/age of the tool?

2) Does it increase or decrease the value of the knife?

So unlike more established hobbies like coin/guitar/car collecting, SAK collecting is still a pretty niche hobby so there's not (to my knowledge) a clear consensus on this. I'll give you my personal opinion:

1a. If the knife is a user, I see no problem with this at all. A knife is a tool, tools get worn and need maintenance. As long as the quality of the replacement parts and the work is good, I'd rather have an old knife with a new blade vs an old knife with an old blade.

1b. If the knife is a collectible piece, then replacement is OK if - big IF - you use the exact same vintage parts. For example, if you have a old Elinox knife from the early 60s, it'll have an unpolished blade with large "Elinox" tang stamp. Replace this with the same - don't put in a newer, fully polished "Victorinox" blade.

2. No question, it does affect the value of the knife. I personally take the mindset from vintage cars that values things like this:

Original excellent condition > Accurately restored excellent > Original poor condition > Frankenstein

That said, for a knife collector condition is everything. Only new or like-new red alox knives have significant value to where I'd worry about this. This is especially true for common models like Pioneers and Farmers. An excellent condition Elinox Farmer (little to no alox wear, sharpened  blades) could go for $200 or more. A good condition version (wear on the handles but full blades) will typically sell for about 1/4 of that. If the blades are worn then the price quickly approaches $10.

So when it comes to the dilemma or "what do I do with this old worn alox knife", unless its a rare model like a Pioneer 2223, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%