Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Motorcycle info help needed.

Chako · 45 · 2334

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Motorcycle info help needed.
Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 12:27:23 PM
Here is the Maxair breather kit with a few additions.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 03:16:16 PM
Off soon to give the shop my parts. Then on Monday, I have to drive the motorcycle over and they will have it for a few days thereafter. Hopefully all will go well and I will have it by next weekend.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 02:39:13 AM
Well it would appear I was a week ahead of my scheduled appointment. Yesterday, I rode my motorcycle to the shop and they worked on it today. It should be ready tomorrow. Time will tell. I hope everything goes well.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 10:07:22 PM
 :tu: Looking forward to your report.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 01:32:15 AM
Well I picked it up. The mechanic had to spend 10 hours on it and only charged me for 8...but at 80 bucks an hour...it adds up.

I like the look of the new exhaust system. it also gives more room between my hard saddle bag and the exhaust, which was always a concern for me heat wise. The motorcycle is noticeably more powerful. That I like a lot. It doesn't lag much anymore while changing gears. It rides a lot better at that. All positive things.

What I don't like is the noise of the exhaust. It sounds great...but I don't like the decibels. Mind you, I am used to the whisper quiet stock exhaust. I think I will have to give myself time to adjust and see if I can live with it. My friend who followed me in his car said he thought it sounded great and not that loud. I did notice a few heads turning when I drove by...not sure I like that much either.

But the added response to the throttle makes it feel like a whole new motorcycle.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 04:32:54 AM
You didn't think your new system was going to be quiet,did you?

You'll get used to the sound.Or you can turn your CD player up louder.I installed a 200 watt power amplifier and replaced the standard speakers with 4 Polk Audio marine grade speakers.

I performed similar mods to my Ultra .I used the Rhinehart True Duals,the Screamin Eagle stage one intake and a Power Commander fuel module.It took me about six hours to do all the work but the results were worth the effort.

Before the mods to my scooter the dyno indicated 60 Hp and 74 ft.lbs of torque.After the mods, the dyno indicated 72 HP and 87 ft.lbs of torque.A 20% increase in both Hp and torque.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 02:07:32 AM
Rain and rain and even more rain. Ah well...

Here is my first motorcycle...a 2005 Triumph America which I bought used in 2009. I had it for a full year before some thoughtless car driver decided to push me off the road in a hit and run because he was focused on an oncoming ambulance.

Thus I got hit in October of 2010 and spent a month and a half recovering from work. I vowed to not have someone make me scared of motorcycling again, and decided to look around for a new mount as soon as I was able. That time came in November of 2010.

While looking around, I wanted a motorcycle with a local dealership. After looking at plenty of motorcycles, I found one that I loved immediately due to its looks and ergonomics. The price was a good discount because it was a last year model. I bought it with a plan in mind. That plan was to slowly upgrade it to something I had always wanted, a bagger. The Triumph was a tad too small for my long frame.

Here is my 2009 V-Star 1100 Classic in the dealership back in 2010. This is the foundation.

Roll to today. I decided to take some photos of my last upgrade stage...that I had planned way back in 2010.

Here is the machined billet tip of the Cobra 2 into 1 Pro HD exhaust system.

I like t hat the 2 into 1 rides a little lower than the top stock exhaust. I was worrying about the heat and gradual damage to my hard saddle bags. This shouldn't be an issue anymore.

I also added a headlamp, passing liights, and turn signal chromed visors. This does change the look of the front.

A view of the cockpit.

My other ride in the rear view mirror.

And a rear shot of my motorcycle.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 10:49:04 PM
Cool pics and story brother.

I've been riding since I was 16 and had a few close calls myself.I've also had two friends die while riding over the years.I've often thought about quitting riding,but it was only a passing thought.It's in my blood and I've come to the realization that it will never change.

I'll have to take some better pics of my ride.

I see great minds think alike as I have a 4WD in my driveway as well.It's a 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban.I like big knives,scooters and trucks.LOL.

Safe riding bro.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: June 15, 2014, 09:11:58 PM
Well the story continues. I had to fetch something from my garage before going out with some friends for a birthday party...when the smurfing door wouldn't close. I took a closer look and saw the problem. The wire on both sides jumped the track and got tangled up. No way to get to it, and I was in a hurry...so I took a bolt cutter to the wires while slowing down the descent of that heavy door. Now if I want to ride, it will be a PITA to get at. Guess a new garage door is in my near future.  :rant:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: June 19, 2014, 02:16:11 AM
Update.

After playing comical phone tag with one of the local shops, things look like they are finally moving in a positive direction. Now all I need to do is visit them tomorrow after work to pay a deposit, and they will order the door. Problem is, this could take 2 weeks more or less.  :facepalm:

Well if I have to get at the motorcycle, I can power lift the door and wedge it open somehow using broom handles or a ladder, or something. A wooden 8' x 10' door weights a lot.

It is an old photo, but here is my new arch nemesis.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:17:53 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: July 17, 2014, 09:32:08 PM
Update:

Just got the new door installed...but the motorcycle is DOA. The new battery is dead. I guess it didn't like the month of inactivity. Now currently charging the :poh: battery right now.

I think there is a short somewhere, or my GPS unit is stealing power when powered down. Next step is to monitor the fully charged battery and unhook the GPS connectors on the battery.

Guess I can wait another day to ride...but it has been so long. Sigh.  :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: July 17, 2014, 09:45:46 PM
I absolutely love this battery charger. It does everything well. When I bought it, I thought I would only need it during the winter months. Well worth the money.

And here is the culprit.

It is amazing what 4 to 5 weeks sitting in a garage will do to a motorcycle without a dust cover on. I didn't put one on because I didn't think it would take so long to fix the door. Anyhow, here is the motorcycle freshly washed. It gave me something to do while waiting for the hours to tick on recharging that battery.

And the new door freshly installed just this morning. The guys also had to re-adjust the automatic door opener which caused some grief.

us Offline VictorLouis

Reply #42 on: July 18, 2014, 12:32:55 AM
Chako, I only read your OP. Before you consider the cost of an exhaust, or other farkles, you have to ask if the dollar outlay will please you. Don't do it merely to keep-up with Rider Jones. Do it if YOU want it.That said dealers love to appriase each bike of the whole class the same. You get very, very little credit for your adds, in fact, sometimes iit detrients.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 01:46:00 PM
Well I am very happy with the upgrades. I never plan on selling the motorcycle. I am the type that likes to get comfortable with something and keep it till it wears out.

I was able to take the motorcycle out for the first time since the stage 1 upgrade. I will say, the noise level at lower speeds makes me cringe somewhat. I guess I will have to get used to it. I have asked several people and they tell me the motorcycle sounds great. The acid test was my neighbour. She likes the sound of it better. She can barely tell when I leave as before, she never could tell. I guess to me, it sounds very loud, to others, not so much. In top gear, it purrs very nicely and the volume comes down a lot. Thank God. I did notice more motorcyclist looking at me and waving more...weird. Probably Harley bikers thinking I have a Harley.

What I do like is the power on tap. It has plenty of power now. I notice it oddly enough right through the power ban. I was able to take it out on the highway...and all I can do is this...

:D

The problem, I am still like that this morning.

Was the upgrade successful...100%  so. My only qualms...I still wish the bike was 10 decibels quieter on the lower gears...to me. But then I am used to factory stock exhaust that are whisper quiet. Just keeping an eye on my battery to see what is the issue here, if any.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:47:32 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: August 14, 2014, 01:57:56 PM
I had to drop off the motorcycle back to the shop yesterday. I noticed on my last highway trip that my passing lights wouldn't turn on. I noted that at a stop looking at the headlamp reflections bouncing off a pickup trucks tail gate.

The mechanic found a short where the insulating wire sleeve was cut through somehow making contact with some metal. I strongly suspect the mechanic on this one. He categorically denies doing it, stating he never touched the front...but...I know for a fact he did as he told me himself he had a tough time installing those chromed lamp shades. shrugs. At least I know what was killing my battery in no time at all.  :tu:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:04:53 PM by Chako »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12