Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Putting bails on SAKs

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Putting bails on SAKs
on: August 07, 2014, 03:04:17 PM
Interested to know what methods people have used to put bails on SAKs (given I am a great fan of them over the current keyring attachment).

If you have, please also include a photo of the finished product, and would be interesting to hear how it has held up to use.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Re: Putting bails on SAKs
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:39:53 AM
does no-one do this?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 05:43:43 AM
I think it is very uncommon as the effort involved to make a standard (non-bail) sak accommodate a bail is extensive. I am just guessing though.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 10:11:35 PM
Wow, so does that mean none of our modders do this?

It must be difficult in that case, given the level if skill and ingenuity we have on these forums.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:29:36 PM
It should be possible, if you can find tubing for the rivets. I do have some 3mm stainless tube and I'm planning an Alox Chicken that I might put a bail on if I can form the end of the tube satisfactorily.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 10:58:30 PM
Now that I think about it more I believe Syph did one or two if I remember correctly, but I could be mistaken.   :think:
I'm the milk man!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 11:09:27 PM
I think he's used the recess in the screw heads to hold the end of the wires. Might be a bit shallow for proper retention, but I'd like to try it because it should be easy to do. Bushidomosquito did some (one?) with a hollow flared rivet which I think is how the Wenger SI is done. There must be others...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:54:44 PM
I'm more into removing the bail or keyring attachment point. What model were you wanting to put it on?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 11:55:09 PM
It should be possible, if you can find tubing for the rivets. I do have some 3mm stainless tube and I'm planning an Alox Chicken that I might put a bail on if I can form the end of the tube satisfactorily.

So how would this work with regards to securing the tools and alox compared to the screws?

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 04:30:51 AM
I've done a few.

The 91mm SAK is an old Square Phillips Economy scaled Tinker and I made the bail in 3 pieces and soldered it together. I drilled through the scales in line with the end pin and built it  up with a pin through everything on that end and then slid it flush one way to get the bail on. The pin was then pushed back through and the pin peened. It was a bit of a fussy job to do.

On the Old Wenger I used a couple of bushings from stripped Esquires and inletted (is that a word?) them into the scales the bail is bent up from 2mm brass rod.

The 74mm Executive has a bail made from one piece of brass rod with the ends hammered flat and drilled 1/16" to suit the pins on the older 74mm knife. The scales on this one are brass and buffalo horn.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 07:18:12 PM
Ya I did it once and used the holes on the screws to hold the bail. I gently tapered the bail off a wenger SI to fit the screw holes and it was quite solid.

The reason I havent explored it further as I dont care for bails at all.  I find they get in the way more than anything, so Im not a fan.  A hollow rivet though I like, Ive taken the bails off all the Wenger soldiers I had that came with bails and I much prefer them that way.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 09:19:44 PM
That looks really good Syph.

When you say quite solid, no chance of the bail slipping out of the screw holes? Even if the SAK is yanked on the keyring?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 09:21:47 PM
That looks really good Syph.

When you say quite solid, no chance of the bail slipping out of the screw holes? Even if the SAK is yanked on the keyring?

Oh no way it would move.  I had to use extreme force to remove it for one dis-assembly.  That is a wenger bail and they are very strong and rigid.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 09:51:33 PM
Ah right, so I suppose not quite the same as a 'make it yourself' bail, or would wire of similar diameter be just as strong?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%