Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Great ebay finds

au Offline archerwin

Great ebay finds
on: June 13, 2014, 12:49:28 PM
My past time is browsing the various listings looking for interesting victorinox models.

And I think I hit a jackpot! These two were part of a 10-knife lot that looked bad (but actually better in person) it even had a 91mm w/ chipped scale - which I think put off some casual ebayers.

I took a chance after seeing a slightly smaller vic very similar to a golfer (only the scissor was opened).

So I was really just expecting a golfer... But was really surprised to see an 84mm Climber!!! I've roughly dated the climber to be atleast before 1973 due to the clip point small blade. But the "+ PAT" shows it can be an earlier model.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:40:52 PM by Dunc »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: I love ebay!
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 12:59:50 PM
Well done  :salute: i do miss the good old days of ebay  :-\ i hardly use ebay anymore  :-\

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 01:35:51 PM
Good thing. Even better would have been Long Nail files, that would have been a real Jack Pot. ;-)

But there are many modders, who would really love to have such a 84mm scissor with backspring for their Alox models. ;-)

au Offline archerwin

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 01:44:50 PM
I actually did a double take to see the long nail file when I read in sakwiki that it was very rare... to bad mine didn't have one.  :facepalm:

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 04:32:05 PM
You can easily spot a LNF on a Victorinox knife. When the Large Blade and Scissor open from the same side, then it is a LNF knife.

Of course it's a bit risky when you don't see the back side. Often Long Nail Files are broken, or the liners are corroded. Restoring such a knife is quite tricky, but not impossible. If the LNF is broken, or the backspring, then a Restoration is impossible without spare parts.

However, I got two wrong listed 84mm knifes with LNF that way. And I'm quite happy about it (spending 1/3rd - 1/4th of the costs of a correctly listed knife at the bay).

us Offline DMA1965

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 05:01:30 PM
My past time is browsing the various listings looking for interesting victorinox models.

And I think I hit a jackpot! These two were part of a 10-knife lot that looked bad (but actually better in person) it even had a 91mm w/ chipped scale - which I think put off some casual ebayers.

I took a chance after seeing a slightly smaller vic very similar to a golfer (only the scissor was opened).

So I was really just expecting a golfer... But was really surprised to see an 84mm Climber!!! I've roughly dated the climber to be atleast before 1973 due to the clip point small blade. But the "+ PAT" shows it can be an earlier model. (Image removed from quote.)

Nice score!  I believe the +PAT was discontinued in 1970, if I recall correctly. 

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 06:24:18 PM
Great find! I love the small clip pont blade :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 06:31:13 PM
You can easily spot a LNF on a Victorinox knife. When the Large Blade and Scissor open from the same side, then it is a LNF knife.

Of course it's a bit risky when you don't see the back side. Often Long Nail Files are broken, or the liners are corroded. Restoring such a knife is quite tricky, but not impossible. If the LNF is broken, or the backspring, then a Restoration is impossible without spare parts.

However, I got two wrong listed 84mm knifes with LNF that way. And I'm quite happy about it (spending 1/3rd - 1/4th of the costs of a correctly listed knife at the bay).

Thanks for that tip! I just cheeked my LNF!  :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

au Offline archerwin

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 12:54:33 AM
Thanks for the tip! It will be easy now to spot the LNF.

How about an easy way of spotting an 84mm? Without asking the seller for measurements? It's hard if there is no reference item beside it.

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 01:02:27 AM
What else was in the lot?

au Offline archerwin

I love ebay!
Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 03:18:52 AM
It had the 84mm golfer, 94mm climber, 91mm climber (chipped front scale), pocket pal, 84mm waiter, 2 recruits, 1 spartan w/ fluted corkscrew, 1 spartan nylon scale and a spartan w/ old style shield on cellidor scales. Got all of these for $36.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 03:46:54 AM by archerwin »

au Offline archerwin

Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 03:43:44 AM
I also got an ambassador with an aluminum tipped tweezers mixed with 6 other Executives (from another lot but same seller). Got this particular lot dor $23.50 only :)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 05:13:47 AM
sounds like you did very well.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

au Offline archerwin

Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 05:57:05 AM
This is from the ambassador, is it brass? It looks different from the other spacers I've seen.

Thanks

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 02:03:14 PM
and I just BET you're loving eBay tonight.  ::)

:tu:

au Offline archerwin

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 02:13:59 PM
 :climber:

right you are :) $64 for a '63 and some change :) I'm starting a new SAK blog and will write about it when I receive it. :)

au Offline archerwin

Re: Great ebay finds
Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 03:30:34 PM
this is the '63 Wenger after cleaning.

I cheated a bit and applied some Red sharpie on the edges.  I'm thinking the red sharpie can be easily removed if I don't like it.  For now, it stays as this will be for my collection and not to be re-sold.
2014-06-20 23.02.28_big.jpg
* 2014-06-20 23.02.28_big.jpg (Filesize: 178.82 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%