Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need Help Deciding...

us Offline deputy tom

Need Help Deciding...
on: October 18, 2014, 09:28:58 PM
I have a few Alox SAKs that are too nice to carry. I want to carry something like a SI , Soldier, Pioneer or Farmer. Should I trade off these nicer ones for a run of the mill knife or suck it up and carry a minty fresh semi- collectable and risk damaging it? TIA. tom.  ???
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

Offline jrp316

Re: Need Help Deciding...
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:02:50 PM
If you're looking for a beater alox Soldier or Pioneer, there's quite a few on the bay at the moment. I'm of the mind that alox (particularly colored alox) only gets better with age and pocket wear. They get that patina and wear pattern on them that makes them all the better.

If they're not limited edition or limited run knives, I'd carry them. Get two of them...one for your pocket, the other for your collection.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 10:03:17 PM
Ultimately it is what you feel you should do to rectify your situation that is the correct answer to your query.

Me, I would buy a user and keep the others pristine...but then I am a collector. A non-collector would suggest you use your semi collectible SAKs as they were meant to be used in the first place. Others may say that used Alox patina is very nice looking, and others would suggest they do not like the looks of it.

If it is a thing of money, you have several options. You could gently use one of your collectibles until you can buy a user, or stick with one you already have.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:43:27 PM
Thank you Gentlemen for the replies. I've decided to keep these in the storage case and buy a user. tom.  8)
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 12:11:29 AM
 :pok:  :worthless:

:D

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:41:07 PM
:pok:  :worthless:

:D

Yes I agree but I have no camera skills. tom.  :(

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 02:50:53 PM
From the screen name, can we assume you are a LEO?

If so, I'd say the Farmer. The number of times you need the saw may be few, but when you need a saw you need a saw, and the thickness difference is minimal.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 04:04:20 PM

If so, I'd say the Farmer. The number of times you need the saw may be few, but when you need a saw you need a saw, and the thickness difference is minimal.

I'm retired but still think the Farmer is the way to go. I have a minty Blue Farmer, and OC Pioneer and a couple of Soldiers that are the basis of my query. I'm going to obtain a Silver Farmer for my EDC SAK. Thanks for your input. tom.  8)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 04:30:27 PM

I'm retired but still think the Farmer is the way to go. I have a minty Blue Farmer, and OC Pioneer and a couple of Soldiers that are the basis of my query. I'm going to obtain a Silver Farmer for my EDC SAK. Thanks for your input. tom.  8)

:cheers: A wise choice!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Silver Farmer is a classic, I second the wise choice. :tu:

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 07:51:33 PM

Thank you. tom.  8)

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 07:52:14 PM

Silver Farmer is a classic, I second the wise choice. :tu:

And I thank you as well. tom.  8)

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 09:41:49 PM
:o :D

You don't even need such a skill, just put the SAK on table, take the phone and make a shot ... simple as that :whistle: :D

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 01:45:50 PM
:o :D

You don't even need such a skill, just put the SAK on table, take the phone and make a shot ... simple as that :whistle: :D

Yes but I don't know how to transfer it to the computer. tom.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 09:19:30 PM
Oh, I see. Perhaps I may be able to help you with this matter. If you're interested, send a PM, and we'll try to work it out together :crash: :D

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 01:59:51 PM
Oh, I see. Perhaps I may be able to help you with this matter. If you're interested, send a PM, and we'll try to work it out together :crash: :D

Thank you for your offer. I may take you up on it at a later time. tom.

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 07:10:46 PM
Well today I lost my mind and gave my SIL my NIB 2000 Soldier and took my like new silver Farmer out of the box and put it into EDC rotation. I'm getting to the age that I might as well start using these things 'cause I won't be here many more years. And while I'm at it I'm going against doctor's orders and am going to have a few beers tonight. tom.  :cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 12:33:38 AM
Good call tom.  :tu:  Minds are so overrated anyway.  :D

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 01:52:11 PM
Good call tom.  :tu:  Minds are so overrated anyway.  :D

Thank you for the vote of confidence.  :D A little later my son stopped by and I gave him the opportunity to select an Alox. He chose a silver Farmer. That leaves me my silver to EDC and the blue one to collect. tom.  8)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 03:17:05 PM
Good call Tom.  It's great collecting these items and the enjoyment that comes from having them but it's an entirely different enjoyment to put them to use if by only carrying it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline deputy tom

Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 05:00:42 PM
Good call Tom.  It's great collecting these items and the enjoyment that comes from having them but it's an entirely different enjoyment to put them to use if by only carrying it.

Thank you my friend. tom.  8)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%