Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Unbelieveable: Caught out without a CS twice in a week

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Unbelieveable: Caught out without a CS twice in a week
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 02:44:33 AM
Finally created an account here just to reply to this thread.
I still feel the corkscrew is somehow the soul of a Swiss Army Knife, the part that, along with its cellidor scales, somehow defines it as not just a brilliantly engineered little pocket tool for scouts and survivalists, but as an elegant and enduring symbol of civilization.
Hey Sorel,
Welcome to the forum and I am extremely honoured that you joined just to reply to my thread!!
Wow - You have made my day :)
And you will find lots of great people, lively debate and interesting topics on this forum.

And a nice post too - I personally do agree with your sentiments
Although I think this applies to the 'Officers Knives' as opposed to the 'Soldiers' - However as most people on this planet think of the Cellidor SAK when you say/think SAK - Then you are absolutely correct.
For instance - I for one, carried a cellidor SAK for many, many years - and never even knew about Soldiers or alox until last year .... when I discovered ebay and MTo!!   
However I have  feeling that the Phillips vs Corkscrew debate (fight? - People get very passionate about this one  :o) will run for ever  :D

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 03:46:24 AM
I also think the corkscrew is very important. And besides, I've found the back transverse Phillips useless on 90% of the times I've tried to use it. The back Phillips is like a virus I wish didn't exist. It has spoiled (along with the wood saw which I have maybe used 3 times in my life) several of my favorite Vics, for example the Damascus Ltd Ed. 2012.

I know Tinker and Farmer fans are going to hate me for these comments but that's how I feel.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 10:19:32 AM
I also think the corkscrew is very important. And besides, I've found the back transverse Phillips useless on 90% of the times I've tried to use it. The back Phillips is like a virus I wish didn't exist. It has spoiled (along with the wood saw which I have maybe used 3 times in my life) several of my favorite Vics, for example the Damascus Ltd Ed. 2012.

I know Tinker and Farmer fans are going to hate me for these comments but that's how I feel.
:ashley:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:58 AM
For those who prefer SAKs with backspring Phillips but still want a corkscrew too, check out the True Utility Twistick  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline asmitty

Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 08:04:40 PM
I consistently carry either my Vic Yeoman or Explorer so that I don't have to make the choice between the two. The only positive I've ever found to the back-mounted phillips screwdrive is that it creates a sleeker knife as the corkscrew sticks out from the frame on anything smaller than 111mm.  I own knives with back-mounted phillips and I carry them occasionally, but my Explorer or Yeoman always make it back into my pocket within a day or two.
Yes that's true, but I've been out to sea a long time.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 12:27:25 AM
IMO the back phillips is a really useful tool, it is one of the most used tools in my SAK, it's not perfect, but it can help you out in a bunch of situations. I'm not a wine drinker so I don't need the CS, but reading this post makes me think it can be useful for someone else too. I will consider to have a CS available just in case.

it Offline danilo

Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 11:07:00 AM
I wouldn't buy a SAK without CS.

In fact as much as ALOX are tempting me, the fact that they miss the CorkScrew is a show stopping for me.

And I've used the SAK corkscrew like 5 to 10 times in my life.

I _may_ accept it being missing on an ALOX, but if I couldn't  accept it to be replaced with a screwdriver (which, on the other hand, I've used much more times on my one-month old swisstool thant the CS on every SAK I've owned in the last 15 years. Go figure...).

Victorinox Explorer has both of them, and the screwdriver is also in a better position IMO.

In fact I'm thinking about it more often the later days. This forum being responsible for it, ça va sans dire.

Danilo

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 04:54:10 PM
I went over to my friends' house about two weeks ago. One of my friends was saying that she got a bottle of wine, and telling a story about how she needed a corkscrew. I was getting excited, knowing I had a Vic Rucksack out in the car. The story, ended, however, with a kind customer in line at the wine store in front of her giving her a corkscrew when none could be located in the store. A store that specializes in alcoholic beverages... including wine.

Anyway, I got no gloat points. Problem solved before I arrived. :/

This, then has made exactly ZERO times I've ever needed a corkscrew on a multitool. Ever. So, right after the fish scaler, I'd probably get rid of the corkscrew. I've thought about what I'd replace it with, and i think I'd put a Wenger style awl in it's place. The Vic Awl is great, but different, and having both would be nice (AND get rid of the 'tool sticks out' problem with the grip). Just a thought.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #39 on: July 18, 2014, 05:20:31 PM

Old drunken Viking proverb.....

"Never be more than three steps from your corkscrew"
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:23:19 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #40 on: July 18, 2014, 06:25:19 PM
Old drunken Viking proverb.....

"Never be more than three steps from your corkscrew"
:rofl:

Offline Migripper

Reply #41 on: July 18, 2014, 08:57:38 PM
Nice stories, it does seem like we can be prepared everyday for just about anything but it will be the day we need it that we don't have it. 
I also have never used the corkscrew.  I don't drink wine and the people I know that do have all kinds of fancy corkscrew openers.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 10:39:17 PM
If that happend again here is an idea:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 01:11:23 AM
^^ 8)  :D  ^^

Donations