Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show off your Sak mod's!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Show off your Sak mod's!
Reply #5760 on: January 07, 2022, 08:21:15 PM
I saw some before but I looked a little bit ago and I only found like the saw and not the other parts..
JR

I didn’t look, but at least Campers are cheap. I wouldn’t hesitate to tear down a new one if the mod warranted new parts.  :dunno:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline 1g0rb

Reply #5761 on: January 09, 2022, 03:33:41 AM
hi all,

just finished modding my beloved mini champ so i wanted to brag about it :). i'm not done yet (scales need some minor tweaks and i plan to acid etch the tools but i don't have the acid yet).

so, here's the list of mods:
  • m1.8 screws instead of pivots (had to widen the holes on all tools and springs a bit)
  • custom designed 3D printed scales: front side has the compartments for both the tweezers and toothpick and additional one for a pin/needle, back side has pen
  • removed the ruler/flat screwdriver and cuticle pusher
  • nail file modified to have the flat screwdriver instead of nail cleaner (i plan to also mark the ruler on the back side)

future plans involve darkening the tools with acid, maybe adding some small magnifier, improving the scales design (pen doesn't move as easy as on the original, toothpick is a bit loose) and maybe ordering a 3D print in metal from shapeways (this is printed in PLA and works pretty good as i carried a "testing" PLA scale for last three months and haven't had any issues with wear). i'm also thinking of removing small blade and citrus peeler (to basically get a manager SAK) as i have a small scalpel on the keychain for precise cuts but i just love that small blade.

* index.jpg (Filesize: 165.77 KB)

* index2.jpg (Filesize: 179.01 KB)

* index3.jpg (Filesize: 194.49 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5762 on: January 09, 2022, 03:43:19 AM
Very interesting 1g0rb,  :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5763 on: January 09, 2022, 03:51:27 AM
I think I might have found the right parts for my mod I want to do, going to start with a compact, switch out the corkscrew for a Philips, but then add a layer of a saw with a awl on the backside.. just talking to someone to see if they have the right tension spring, but they have the saw and Philips I actually have the awl,, so it all boils down to the one part.. then once there shipped and I get them I’ll begin!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5764 on: January 09, 2022, 01:00:08 PM
Nice mod 1g0rb

I really like the idea of the three scale tools in the 58mm - But was wondering how you got the tp and tw on the same side - as they would crash into each other.
Then looked again and reckon that their slots are slightly angled so they slip beside each other - Correct?  ??? 

Vic shoudl think about that!!

00 Offline 1g0rb

Reply #5765 on: January 09, 2022, 02:34:00 PM
thanks Huntsman! yeah, after a lot of time trying to decide which tool to have i decided that i really need both (and the pin comes in handy for removing SIM cards and similar things :))

yes, they are slightly (5°) angled. here's the pic of the bottom side of the scale. i'll share the design files for it after i evaluate it a bit more.

* scale bottom.jpg (Filesize: 51.77 KB)

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5766 on: January 09, 2022, 06:53:08 PM
Nice job 1g0rb!

:like:

I like the angled solution…and it’s nice to see some 58mm action in here.  :tu:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5767 on: January 19, 2022, 03:53:54 PM
Ok, I figured out the parts, and I found someone who had just the right parts rather then ordering multiple sak’s to do the job, so now I just have to wait for the parts to come in,,
JR

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5768 on: January 19, 2022, 08:52:35 PM
Looking forward to seeing it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5769 on: January 20, 2022, 01:07:25 AM
Me too, still waiting for the status to change from the label created to the next step, yet it’s been two days,
JR

00 Offline 1g0rb

Reply #5770 on: January 25, 2022, 10:29:27 PM
as promised, i'm sharing 3D files for my custom scales from my last post. it includes a lot of variants: with two slots, with two slots+pin, pen and basic, all of them with screw/nut holes as well as with standard SAK snap-on mounting (I haven't tested those recently but before this it worked well on a previous version).

here it is: https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/124359-sak-58mm-scales

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5771 on: January 26, 2022, 07:36:17 PM
as promised, i'm sharing 3D files for my custom scales from my last post. it includes a lot of variants: with two slots, with two slots+pin, pen and basic, all of them with screw/nut holes as well as with standard SAK snap-on mounting (I haven't tested those recently but before this it worked well on a previous version).

here it is: https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/124359-sak-58mm-scales

I don’t 3D print, but that’s awesome of you to share!

I think the sincerest compliment would come from Victorinox, if they actually use your idea!  Perhaps you should submit it to them? It would be nice if you got recognition directly from them.  :tu:

00 Offline 1g0rb

Reply #5772 on: January 26, 2022, 09:39:48 PM
I don’t 3D print, but that’s awesome of you to share!

I think the sincerest compliment would come from Victorinox, if they actually use your idea!  Perhaps you should submit it to them? It would be nice if you got recognition directly from them.  :tu:

thanks!

that's a really interesting idea to submit it to victorinox. i didn't even knew they accept ideas until i just found it on their site so thanks for mentioning that too :).

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5773 on: January 27, 2022, 03:25:54 AM
thanks!

that's a really interesting idea to submit it to victorinox. i didn't even knew they accept ideas until i just found it on their site so thanks for mentioning that too :).

:cheers:

It’s absolutely worthy of it. Glad I mentioned it.  :)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5774 on: January 28, 2022, 04:08:53 AM
Ok who’s done it? I’ll admit I bought the whole kit like 25yrs ago but that was to blue a antique rifle, but for some reason I was kinda curious how many of you have used it on your sak? How long does it last for a edc?
I have that compact that I’ll be customizing, the extra parts came in and I was kinda thinking, what else can I do to add some flavor for it?
JR

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5775 on: January 28, 2022, 09:53:37 AM
 Not 100% sure but don’t think it’ll work on stainless.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5776 on: February 01, 2022, 05:06:21 PM
Devil is in the details.

Just cranking out some spacers.

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Reply #5777 on: February 06, 2022, 05:49:42 AM
 :climber:

I made my first Spydernox Mod today.  It took a bit of work, and it is far from perfect.  At least know what to do next time.

* Spydernox Open.jpg (Filesize: 194.08 KB)

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #5778 on: February 06, 2022, 10:51:07 PM
Sweet mod  :tu:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

00 Online SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #5779 on: February 10, 2022, 12:49:58 PM
91mm Walker with scorched wood scales (alongside 84mm)

* IMG_0063.jpg (Filesize: 346.05 KB)

Reply #5780 on: February 12, 2022, 12:11:49 PM
The above was made with left over parts. It's grown on me but has schoolboy errors hidden:

1. Pre-peening, the saw kept hitting the scale liner so I added an extra tool liner to provide clearance.
2. The scale wood was Red Heart. I tried to scorch over a metal Swiss cross to leave an imprint in the wood. That didn't work, so ran a blow torch over the length of the scales, wire wooled them and waxed to cover up the error.
3. I glued on the scale with the corkscrew closed. This pushed down the scale slightly so that it did not line up nicely with the scale liner. Liberal filing tidied things up.

Amateurish, but lessons learned.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5781 on: February 12, 2022, 12:50:04 PM
I always add an extra liner if I am putting a saw next to a outside liner as, like you, I always find it eventually hits it and starts taking lumps out of the alu. The wood saws especially have a propensity to bend so I find the extra liner gives you that extra bit of leeway.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5782 on: February 13, 2022, 05:34:36 PM
1. Pre-peening, the saw kept hitting the scale liner so I added an extra tool liner to provide clearance.

I use blue painter's tape when I’m being careful, like with brand new or really old ones. Folded over the tool and sealed to itself is all it needs. That’s also what I do with leftover sharp parts that I store and organize with small zip locks.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5783 on: February 15, 2022, 01:10:42 AM
 :woohoo:

Fresh from the kamakiri forge…

Reply #5784 on: February 18, 2022, 11:11:56 AM
Lightweight Huntsman:

• Wood scales
  • Old style scissors, screwed pivot, no back tool
  • Combo tool is a bit stiff, hopefully it will loosen up

* IMG_0088.jpg (Filesize: 323.37 KB)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5785 on: February 19, 2022, 02:40:04 PM
Lightweight Huntsman:

• Wood scales

Very nice, did you make the wood handles ?

Reply #5786 on: February 19, 2022, 06:59:36 PM
Noooo, way beyond the reach of my abilities.

From EBay, a Russian seller, I assumed they were Victorinox OEM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5787 on: February 22, 2022, 09:56:14 PM
Lightweight Huntsman:

• Wood scales

Can’t argue with that combo  :salute:

Reply #5788 on: March 01, 2022, 01:44:47 PM
Yes, my favourite toolset is:

(1) Blade/Combo
(2) Wood saw
(3) Scissors

The Lightweight Huntsman.

I have limited tools and experience, but have made up one 91mm with red scales and another with wood scales.

This is my latest, and last, I've got enough!

84mm in Alox.

I was going to make it in red scales, but Myron tempted me with Alox, which I've never done before.

The peening is rough, but it works. I think I need to hammer it home further. Unfortunately there is a hammer mark just below the pivot north of the cross. I was using a punch to round off the pivots and it slipped. Impatience and lack of attention to detail.

Many thanks to the generosity of Myron who supplied most of the parts.

* IMG_0125.jpg (Filesize: 158.67 KB)

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #5789 on: March 01, 2022, 03:21:30 PM
Such a cool knife!  And you did a great job peening those pins over.  So fun to see how this looks in an 84 mm frame, too. 

Excellent work, @SAKTaschenmesser!

Myron

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24