Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show off your Sak mod's!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Show off your Sak mod's!
Reply #5790 on: March 01, 2022, 03:54:06 PM
It’s a great toolset, and nice work so far!  :tu:

The nice thing about errant mark in your own knife is you get to use it without worry about doing any cosmetic damage.

A small radius ball peen hammer might help tighten the rivets as needed. I use a heavy hand to set the rivets and fill the conical seat in Alox or brass bushings, but small lighter taps for rounding exposed rivets (if not setting them flush/flat to the level of the alox face). Small radius helps to ‘safely’ work closer to the edge of the domed head. Light taps, using wrist action only.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Offline ComboTool

Reply #5791 on: March 01, 2022, 05:01:16 PM
Great mod!
But...
This is my latest, and last, I've got enough!
Yeah, right!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5792 on: March 01, 2022, 05:42:19 PM
An example might help show what I mean about the peening and finishing.

This is a before and after of a 91mm center/3rd pin that was flattened on the backside when reused and re-set in a mod.

The peening marks are made close and small enough to resemble a golf ball or mirror/disco ball somewhat and are fine enough to be sanded or polished away.

Just takes a little more time and some patience.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #5793 on: March 01, 2022, 05:58:39 PM
Thanks, the knife's tools are pretty tight. If I do feel a bit of wobble develop, I'll give the pivots some fairly gentle, progressive taps with the ball of my hammer to get it just right. I quite like the hammered golf ball look.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5794 on: March 01, 2022, 06:29:20 PM
Thanks, the knife's tools are pretty tight. If I do feel a bit of wobble develop, I'll give the pivots some fairly gentle, progressive taps with the ball of my hammer to get it just right. I quite like the hammered golf ball look.
:tu:

I didn’t mean to confuse the issue regarding tightening. I only meant that as a ‘if needed’ part of the discussion. Like needing to refinish after additional tightening.  I’m primarily demonstrating a finishing technique I use after the rivet and tools are set. So mainly to show the difference in cosmetics. My example above was already tight, but with that big ugly flat top.

I hope that helps you and anyone else looking to improve the finish of their peening work. It’s just a matter of removing the large ‘facets’ and replacing them with smaller finer ones that can easily be made to ‘disappear’, wear, or polish away.  :)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5795 on: April 25, 2022, 07:11:41 PM
Say bye-bye to the compact,, it was my Xmas gift, ah man am I nervous,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5796 on: April 25, 2022, 08:32:15 PM
I guess there’s no turning around,, :-\
JR
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 09:49:28 PM by MadPlumbarian »
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5797 on: April 25, 2022, 09:51:17 PM
Update, I needed a break, yeah that’s a Philips on the back rather then a corkscrew, I just don’t see the point of one, and yeah there’s an extra layer, but what could it be? :think:
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5798 on: April 25, 2022, 11:49:38 PM
All peened and ready for scales!
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5799 on: April 26, 2022, 12:24:58 AM
Who’s ready for the end product? Any guesses on that 3rd layer before I post a pic?
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5800 on: April 26, 2022, 01:10:59 AM
Oh well, here’s the finished product,,
Took out the corkscrew and put in the Philips and added a whole extra layer adding a saw, I thought of putting a awl on the backside but decided not to, this little guy is almost perfect, the only thing it’s missing is alox scales,,
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5801 on: April 26, 2022, 01:13:54 AM
Alox is nice when you can get plus Alox.  I'd take pen/pin/T&T over Alox without.  Nice mod.
Esse Quam Videri

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #5802 on: April 26, 2022, 07:43:48 AM
Who’s ready for the end product? Any guesses on that 3rd layer before I post a pic?
JR

1 layer without back tool?
I'd say old metal file or woodsaw? Or a fish scaler

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #5803 on: April 26, 2022, 07:50:04 AM
Oh well, here’s the finished product,,
Took out the corkscrew and put in the Philips and added a whole extra layer adding a saw, I thought of putting a awl on the backside but decided not to, this little guy is almost perfect, the only thing it’s missing is alox scales,,
JR

Damned, my post did not "post"
Saw was one of my guesses : you made the "wood guide" pendant of my trail guide  :hatsoff:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5804 on: April 26, 2022, 01:24:26 PM
Cool,
JR

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #5805 on: April 27, 2022, 08:43:07 AM
Cool,
JR

Beware, this might become your favourite EDC  :angel:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5806 on: April 27, 2022, 01:14:45 PM
Beware, this might become your favourite EDC  :angel:
Idk it’s not alox, and the FarmerX is totally my fav so far! Although I saw snap on alox scales last night for 91,,  :whistle:
JR

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5807 on: April 27, 2022, 06:53:47 PM
Idk it’s not alox, and the FarmerX is totally my fav so far! Although I saw snap on alox scales last night for 91,,  :whistle:
JR

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #5808 on: April 27, 2022, 10:02:02 PM
JR

I thought so, but my beloved '91 SI couldn't compete against my TrailGuide for EDC (black Plus cellidor scales + black T&T)

Offline samek

Reply #5809 on: May 13, 2022, 04:00:44 PM
New stainless Mini Champ – together with modified stainless Swiss Champ I made last year 😊

Samek

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #5810 on: May 13, 2022, 04:37:15 PM
Double awesome  :tu: :tu: :tu:
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Show off your Sak mod's!
Reply #5811 on: May 31, 2022, 03:17:06 AM
My first attempt at a 84Mm Spydernox.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5812 on: May 31, 2022, 03:28:19 AM
Very nice :tu:
JR

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5813 on: May 31, 2022, 12:21:06 PM
Very nice :tu:
JR

+1

Are you thinking about a second one?

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5814 on: May 31, 2022, 11:20:46 PM
I posted this mod a little back but the other day I saw this quote so I was like oh I so have to put the two together!
JR

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5815 on: June 01, 2022, 10:25:11 AM
Nice mod  :tu: I like a Compact with saw.

That saying makes no sense though. Comparing fiction to reality and all. Also to my knowledge the Titanic did not sink because of a technical error, but because they ran into an iceberg. But maybe I miss the point  :think:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5816 on: June 01, 2022, 01:54:04 PM
Nice mod  :tu: I like a Compact with saw.

That saying makes no sense though. Comparing fiction to reality and all. Also to my knowledge the Titanic did not sink because of a technical error, but because they ran into an iceberg. But maybe I miss the point  :think:
Thanks, I also switched out the corkscrew with a Philips,
Yeah but, you just got to just think it through, if the ark was true it was built by simple people if not his family, and yet you got and amazing ark, vs, you get a company with amazing minds who design an unsinkable ship yet it hits an iceberg and sinks, it’s just the idea,
Just saying sometimes us simple minded people get an idea that’s better then and will outlast a companies, kinda like Syph’s work
JR

Offline CruelDog

Reply #5817 on: June 15, 2022, 07:43:02 PM
Swinox and Swizgernox  :D

IMG_20220615_204039_199.jpg
* IMG_20220615_204039_199.jpg (Filesize: 263.17 KB)

ni-ulster Offline Jud65

Reply #5818 on: June 15, 2022, 08:01:26 PM
A friend of mine asked for a slim 2-layer festooned with Phillips screwdrivers… et voilà…
The micarta scales were a bonus.
Any ideas for a name?
We take what is offered...
Morituri Nolumus Mori

00 Offline Hzza

• New User
Reply #5819 on: June 20, 2022, 02:24:24 PM
Hi gents,

I've been lurking a bit, getting some tips together and finally have something to post.

First up is a blade delete 91mm Tinker Deluxe.
Initially, thought it would be a cool idea to have the opening layer in the middle, but the plier blocked access so had to be re-done.
I wasn't happy with the peening on some of the tools on v2 and wanted to add the phillips/magnifier from an Explorer so that lead to v3 which is where we are now.

PXL_20220619_143736567~2.jpg
* PXL_20220619_143736567~2.jpg (Filesize: 109.22 KB)

Much happier with the peening and tension on the tools - the scissors will never be perfect as the back tool isn't the one it wants, but at least now they aren't flopping open by themselves  :D.

Second one is a 84mm Waiter/Walker hybrid.
Plan for this one was to have something with a corkscrew/eyeglass screwdriver to leave in a jacket as needed. The saw was added after I took up whittling and wanted to take some branches whilst out on walks (a weak excuse, but was looking for a quick and fun mod).

PXL_20220619_143905831~2.jpg
* PXL_20220619_143905831~2.jpg (Filesize: 88.97 KB)

Black/orange Plus sales on both from Taschenmesser.

Next on the menu will be a cut down mini-champ. I'd like a jetsetter with nail file so would need to think about the 4th tool. As I haven't had my hands on a mini-champ just yet we'll have to wait and see how that one goes.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $335.00
PayPal Fees: $18.63
Net Balance: $316.37
Above Goal: $16.37
Site Currency: USD
105%