Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show off your Sak mod's!

Offline Hanx

• New User
Re: Show off your Sak mod's!
Reply #5820 on: June 20, 2022, 02:45:53 PM
A friend of mine asked for a slim 2-layer festooned with Phillips screwdrivers… et voilà…
The micarta scales were a bonus.
Any ideas for a name?
ScienTinker.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5821 on: June 21, 2022, 10:46:37 AM
Hi gents,

I've been lurking a bit, getting some tips together and finally have something to post.

First up is a blade delete 91mm Tinker Deluxe.
Initially, thought it would be a cool idea to have the opening layer in the middle, but the plier blocked access so had to be re-done.
I wasn't happy with the peening on some of the tools on v2 and wanted to add the phillips/magnifier from an Explorer so that lead to v3 which is where we are now.
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  
Much happier with the peening and tension on the tools - the scissors will never be perfect as the back tool isn't the one it wants, but at least now they aren't flopping open by themselves  :D.

Second one is a 84mm Waiter/Walker hybrid.
Plan for this one was to have something with a corkscrew/eyeglass screwdriver to leave in a jacket as needed. The saw was added after I took up whittling and wanted to take some branches whilst out on walks (a weak excuse, but was looking for a quick and fun mod).
  [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]  

Black/orange Plus sales on both from Taschenmesser.

Next on the menu will be a cut down mini-champ. I'd like a jetsetter with nail file so would need to think about the 4th tool. As I haven't had my hands on a mini-champ just yet we'll have to wait and see how that one goes.

Welcome aboard!

:cheers: :salute:

Thanks for sharing, those look great!

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5822 on: June 21, 2022, 09:56:25 PM
Welcome aboard!

:cheers: :salute:

Thanks for sharing, those look great!

:tu: :tu:

Totally agree.  Great looking work there.  :hatsoff:
Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5823 on: June 21, 2022, 10:01:31 PM
A friend of mine asked for a slim 2-layer festooned with Phillips screwdrivers… et voilà…
The micarta scales were a bonus.
Any ideas for a name?

Something akin to a Scientist, so how about a Researcher?
Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5824 on: July 01, 2022, 08:41:06 PM
Bit of a variation of a mod a I’ve tried before but didn’t like in the end. This one is much more balanced being essentially a huntsman but with a Philips and a corkscrew on the back layer and the awl inline 93mm style. It also got a file hook (thanks to a very generous member - thanks Tach! ;0) to fulfil that ‘necessity’ tool for me.

Opener layer inside the scissors and all layer apart form scissors are on main blade springs. Lots of brass spacers to take up the slack.

Plus scales to come of course. See what you think …
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 08:50:13 PM by Helvetica Bold »

Offline Annihilator

• New User
Reply #5825 on: July 04, 2022, 02:37:24 PM
Looking good  :tu:
Can you post a picture of the backside with the springs?

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5826 on: July 04, 2022, 03:45:41 PM
Top and bottom pics below. To keep the pressure on the saw blade I had to cut the hole end off of an old corkscrew and insert that in the back layer and then create a rest for the tip of the saw from an old 2.4mm main blade shown in pic below and  in previous pics. Scales on now too!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5827 on: July 04, 2022, 06:01:30 PM
Ok, so the Phillips is taking up two slots? And is flat with the corkscrew? This is a newbie, can you take a pic from the end so the Philips and corkscrew would look like |I x @|
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5828 on: July 04, 2022, 06:18:28 PM
No worries. Couple more shots below  :salute:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5829 on: July 04, 2022, 06:23:43 PM
Ok ok, that’s pretty nifty, so what does the Philips work against on the other side? It looks like the saw? I can’t tell,
JR
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 06:31:52 PM by MadPlumbarian »
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5830 on: July 04, 2022, 07:26:30 PM
It’s the opener layer. The saw is the layer that needed the extra bits added in to keep the tension up.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5831 on: July 04, 2022, 07:40:14 PM
Very nice job! A lot of work in that, I just recently did a mod which is on this page, but all I did was take a compact, now I could have gone simple and just drilled the one pin in order to take the corkscrew out and replace it with a Philips, but I really wanted a saw, which meant drilling out all four, the other thing I kinda wanted was an awl, which I could have put on the back of the saw, but that meant a lot more work, I do have the awl and I believe the spring but there not the same thickness, so maybe in the future? Besides the awl that I really like are on alox not the sewing needle ones,,
JR

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5832 on: July 04, 2022, 08:51:20 PM
Yeah I Think I comments  on that - love a lumberjack and a few backside tools can’t hurt. I’ve done one with an awl (see pic) and is not that difficult to bring it down in width a bit - take it off the on- nail nick side. You can get an inline awl in 91mm - this one has it if you missed it?  I just thinned the spacer so the combined width is still 2.4mm

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5833 on: July 04, 2022, 09:16:02 PM
The awl I have would be going on the backside of the saw and the awl is a little bit thicker then the saw, so I’d have to thin the awl down,,
JR

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5834 on: July 04, 2022, 09:25:27 PM
That’s what I’ve done there  :pok:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5835 on: July 04, 2022, 09:35:11 PM
Idk, I’d probably be at it all day to just bring it down just that little..
JR

Offline Annihilator

• New User
Reply #5836 on: July 05, 2022, 11:40:22 AM
Top and bottom pics below. To keep the pressure on the saw blade I had to cut the hole end off of an old corkscrew and insert that in the back layer and then create a rest for the tip of the saw from an old 2.4mm main blade shown in pic below and  in previous pics. Scales on now too!

That is a super nice solution! Looking very clean  :like:

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5837 on: July 05, 2022, 12:15:49 PM
 :cheers: Quite a lot of extra bits in there but it does come out looking pretty neat. Doesn’t trip my gapping OCD at least  :rofl:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5838 on: July 06, 2022, 01:58:43 AM
Very, very nice mod Helvetica

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #5839 on: July 07, 2022, 05:35:00 AM
Found myself in a mod mood this evening and I can already tell you this one is going to irritate some for messing up a classic, but I just couldn’t resist. This is my Yeotimer. Has little of the old mixed with the new as far as tools.
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5840 on: July 08, 2022, 04:51:08 PM
 :like:

You are bold.  Good for you. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5841 on: July 08, 2022, 07:17:18 PM

You are bold.  Good for you.

+1

:cheers: :tu:

Victorinox would make a killing, if they saw some of the mods people do here and made them themselves, as LE or the like.

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5842 on: July 09, 2022, 12:01:18 PM
Found myself in a mod mood this evening and I can already tell you this one is going to irritate some for messing up a classic, but I just couldn’t resist. This is my Yeotimer. Has little of the old mixed with the new as far as tools.

That, my friend, is next level sacrifice for the art. Love it.

us Offline pa_strunk

• No Life Club
  • MAJ/APA
Reply #5843 on: July 10, 2022, 12:59:08 AM
Thanks for comments guys. I decided to tweak an 85 mm Victorinox “yeoman” mod I have today. Added keyring, old school corkscrew and tried something new, I rit dyed the magnifier black. Like the way it contrast with the Evogrip scales. What do you guys think?
"Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds, to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." Ellison Onizuka

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
  • A little more seriousness would scoobi-do us good.
Reply #5844 on: July 10, 2022, 09:51:53 AM
Thanks for comments guys. I decided to tweak an 85 mm Victorinox “yeoman” mod I have today. Added keyring, old school corkscrew and tried something new, I rit dyed the magnifier black. Like the way it contrast with the Evogrip scales. What do you guys think?

Looks really good! Excellent tool set. :tu:
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

Offline DVec_5.0

• New User
Reply #5845 on: July 12, 2022, 06:12:21 AM
I love the waiter/walker combo. I was thinking of doing this myself too.

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5846 on: July 12, 2022, 12:20:17 PM

Awesome  :like:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5847 on: July 13, 2022, 04:41:51 PM
I love the waiter/walker combo. I was thinking of doing this myself too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXE8LdXzeHM

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5848 on: July 19, 2022, 12:26:57 PM
That is one cool looking, interesting and useful SAK - Brilliant  :D    :D    :D

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #5849 on: July 22, 2022, 02:23:00 PM
Cadet X Celador ( as that’s all I had :0)

Made with Delamont scissors so not ideal but still makes a  very neat little package. Also used a slightly modified Delamont liner in the build - note that the two end holes fit pretty well as they are it’s just her middle ones that need re-drilling for an 84mm Victorinox

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $36.00
PayPal Fees: $2.24
Net Balance: $33.76
Below Goal: $266.24
Site Currency: USD
 11%