Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

NOOBIE wants a sak,gak style?

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
NOOBIE wants a sak,gak style?
on: June 16, 2008, 07:20:36 PM
hey thanks to ya ive managed to loose my mind and started to think about a new(my last swiss with red cheeks is 20 yrs old) sak.NOW,can someone throw a link that has correct names for different tools n blades with pics of those too.
so it would be easier atleast to me,to make a wishlist ;) of tools i want in that.

already i know i want that german army styled saw-opener-screwdriver combotool,an partly or fully serrated main blade,phillips(id prefer one on other ned,not one on backside/middle).i would also like to have that wrench-kinda tool in it.

pocket clip or other fixed or semi fixed carryin device would be plus too.

pliers? maybe.i donno are they up to no good,thats why maybe.and i dont want it to be too thick.

most of all,i Dont want scissors,magnifyin glass,wine bottle opener,nailfile and that can opener with tiny slothead.no sir.

i don mind if its done in those large or middlesized scales,but id rather have it in those 100+ frames.

any suggestions/tips?

had to log into that friggin sosak too but i didnt find any clear tips for me there.

id rather pay someone to do this,or buy parts to do it myself if some blades are for sale.i really dont wanna buy 10 swiss tools to make one  :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: NOOBIE wants a sak,gak style?
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 07:28:20 PM
Well felinevet (one of the banner advertisers, and all round top bloke) has a GAK on sale now...
http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=88&category_id=4ba60bfadf1b79f080867b9eecbb2b84&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

Here's Victorinox's 2008 catalogue too...
http://www.victorinox.ch/images/content/page459/Catalogue_english.pdf

As for Mod's, well Bill (the moderator Scibeer) does some bloody awesome work, and is held in very high regard :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:31:04 PM
well im hopin that Mr.Scibeer notices this topic;).

i dont have a slightest clue can a gak be built to my needings though,but i like that no-nonsense style.

again 8).

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:34:55 PM
Well the only possible problem is the wrench is on a Wenger :-\, so it may not fit.

If you load the tool's you want into the Sak selector you should be able to narrow down the number of models you want :) By the way Gak's are 111mm so you might want to start from there :)
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=40

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:43:10 PM
 i tried that selector but cause i donno the names to correct blades and drivers i fancy,its a pain in the bottocks :-\

but that 111mm factor helps a bit,thnx.

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 07:47:03 PM
Well here's a list of all the 111mm sak's I think are in production...

http://www.swissknivesexpress.com/lockblades.html

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:47:25 PM
Are you sure you really need a SAK?  :pok:  :D

That one I pictured with the micarta scales in your welcome message was modified by Scibeer.  It's the one that looks like wood.
- Terry

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 08:48:01 PM
Are you sure you really need a SAK?  :pok:  :D
I think he does, and more than one :D

Offline scibeer

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 09:03:53 PM
Noticed!

You said you wanted the combo saw/ opener and that is only available on the 108mm model GAK.   You can find it on the Safari, Pathfinder, or Mauser.   There are only a few tools that work in that frame so you are kind of limited to standard spear blade, clip blade, gutting blade and saw with opener as far as factory options.    They all came with corkscrews that are a different size than the rest of the Victorinox knives but I think it can be replaced with the phillips.   I don't remember having done a replacement, but seems like it would work, but might look a little short.   I haven't seen a serrated blade either.  

For the 111mm knives, here's the deal

If you don't want the corkscrew, the phillips is the only thing to replace it on the back.    There are 2 end mounted phillips drivers in the 111mm models.  They are paired with either the scissors (long skinny phillips) or the pliers (standard short phillips).   Of course there isn't a model that has the serrated blade and end mounted phillips available from Victorinox just to make it difficult.   The parts aren't available separately so you would be looking at taking parts from at least 2 knives.   And to make it better, the tools will have different pin sizes so some would have to be drilled out.

So its going to be a comprimise of some kind.    Wish I had a simpler remedy for you.    Maybe look at the Atlas and a 108mm GAK?

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 10:16:05 PM
hey thanks for the info and tips!

i dont mind so much of the lenght of the frame,and i realise i have to(?) change that gak´s saw combo blade into separate saw and that...i donno the name...that one that can open the van and cap and has a flathead screwdriver.

id choose deinetly pliers over the scissors too.

does this make any sense,like...u can make even one?

what kind of colours are availeble tho scales,id like to have aluminium ones,black,od green or just bare aluminium.
if not,then its back to some non red plastics ;).

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 10:22:00 PM

in this knife theres i think that opener+scredriver combo.that and saw,instead of that cool cool cool gak saw.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 10:54:06 PM
hmm downloaded some catalogue and looked up and found this:

"Equestrian"

but can man change a main blade from resque tool.
change the hoof cleaner phillips screwdriver
and add pliers.

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 11:10:37 PM
I supose it may be possible, but one of the modder's will know for sure :)

Offline scibeer

Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 04:09:26 AM
This is the sick thing about mods.   It always seems like you need one tool you can't get on any model but an expensive one, or you end up needing 3 or 4 knives to get the tool combo you want.

In the 91mm knives, you can get anyting you want fairly reasonably.   Parts knives are easier to find in good condition and even cheap enough new.

111mm mods get very expensive for the knives.

If you want say, pliers and a One handed blade, you're in for darn near $100 in knives alone.    Even making a One handed Outrider ends up being $70+ in knives.

If you can be satisfied with a 91mm knife, you can get what you want without your wallet atomizing.   

Blade, combo tool, pliers and saw with a phillips on the back sounds like it would fit the bill for you, am I right?   There is a "Specialty Mechanic" you can get that has all that except the saw in a 2 layer knife.    You can probably find it for around $30.   If you want the saw on there, you would be talking about removing layers from a swisschamp which would be much more.   

The curse of modding is Victorinox not selling individual parts to us.   

Have you tried modding a SAK yet?    Maybe try with a cheap used one and see how it goes.   Then you can get a couple new knives and make exactly what you want without having to send it out.    If you or anyone else is willing to give it a go, I'll do my best to help.   Anything I know is free for the asking (all 42 cents worth!)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 05:05:32 AM
Blade, combo tool, pliers and saw with a phillips on the back sounds like it would fit the bill for you, am I right?   There is a "Specialty Mechanic" you can get that has all that except the saw in a 2 layer knife.    You can probably find it for around $30.

Thanks for the info on the Specialty Mechanic, scibeer.

I was completely unaware of its existence, but I'm guessing it's a discontinued model?

Specialty Mechanic sounds ideal to me for EDC: a 2-layer SAK with both Phillips and pliers.  (Love my Mechanic, but its 3-layers make it just slightly too thick for me to pocket carry.)

Where would it be available for around $30?

N

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 11:47:16 AM
Blade, combo tool, pliers and saw with a phillips on the back sounds like it would fit the bill for you, am I right?   There is a "Specialty Mechanic" you can get that has all that except the saw in a 2 layer knife.    You can probably find it for around $30.   If you want the saw on there, you would be talking about removing layers from a swisschamp which would be much more.   

hmm gotta search 4 one,thanks man.

:cheers:

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 04:11:33 PM
To be honest, I am not a fan of the saw/combo tool blade on the GAK variants. It's the best that could be done with the restriction of blades opening only on one side. However, a 91mm model with a combo tool opposite the main blade, and a separate saw layer are, in my mind, superior. I find using the combo tool on the GAK awkward, and somewhat dangerous (even with saw cover in place), and the reduced saw length is not that great. The only things going for the GAK (which, I believe, make them so popular) are the nice main blade length, scales shape and texture, and nice lanyard hole.
For the tools you listed, as scibeer said, 91mm offers the most of variety. If you want to go bigger, and don't find a match in 111mm Vics, Wenger's NewRangers offer some choices you may find attractive.
-------
Alexei

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 11:33:02 PM
I agree with you on most of those points about the 108mm GAK.  I do like the robust saw though--it's much thicker and less prone to flexing than any other saw in the Vic lineup.  I don't understand why the teeth are angled back for a pull cut though.  I suppose forcing the user to use a pull cut would reduce the chance of the tool folding during use.
- Terry

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 01:55:34 PM
hey i got my first GAK today from NKB,vic one.its way cool with this combo blade,although i know many of u hate it :D

im also waiting for mauser gak,but it takes abouth a mont  to get here.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 05:18:27 PM
Buying a Mauser is a sure sign that you're starting a SAK collection.  :D
- Terry

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 06:25:30 PM
is it?

i actually didnt know its sort of rare knife.well i gotta admit that some older sak´s,soldier,etc intrest me.those that have only some essential tools,not those with 666 tools :D

Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 06:29:14 PM
is it?

i actually didnt know its sort of rare knife.well i gotta admit that some older sak´s,soldier,etc intrest me.those that have only some essential tools,not those with 666 tools :D
I think Victorinox only made 40,000 of them, so there rare as far as a Vic production run is concerned :), having said that, it's pretty hard to find nice clean examples :cry:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 07:22:03 PM
- Terry

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 07:24:03 PM
yes Terry im gettin one JUST like that.but its nothing but user and will continue like that >:D

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 07:31:50 PM
yes Terry im gettin one JUST like that.but its nothing but user and will continue like that >:D

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh No! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 07:32:59 PM
I don't know anything about all the 'xAK's, but that is Mauser is very interesting.

Is there anywhere I can learn more about all these non-Swiss Army Vic and Wenger knives?
[

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 07:34:40 PM

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh No! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Neil

now WHAT DID I DO AGAIN WRONG :D

ill save the vic gak but the mauser is user for sure,as its in user condition already.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 07:46:52 PM

:cheers:  That is the way I would prefer mine.  I use 108mm GAKs frequently, but that Mauser is never used.
- Terry

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 07:53:49 PM

Neil

now WHAT DID I DO AGAIN WRONG :D

ill save the vic gak but the mauser is user for sure,as its in user condition already.

Oh, it already a user  :oops: you're forgiven :D 

I'd definitely put that GAK to good use, there's many more of them fish in the sea.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 07:57:48 PM
i mean the VIC i got today,is so good condition,that i donno should i use it or not,but the mauser will be user for sure,it aint no beauty queen anymore.the vic from you is like new,therefor i could cherish it abit :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%