Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dreaming SAK's: the Philips layer

bmot · 21 · 2178

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
on: June 28, 2014, 05:35:27 PM
So... I've been annoyed for a long time about the Philips layer in the average SAK. I really prefer having a SAK that includes a Philips driver, for obvious reasons. However, I also like having the corkscrew, because of some weird quirk in my head, mainly :P
This issues a problem. I always like designs in (multi)tools where every bit of space is crammed with -useful- features. One of the reasons why I like the Spirit so much is the great tool-density, the amount of thought that went into it.

Now, Philips layers, mainly in Vics, are a huge annoyance for me because of this. I like every bit of space crammed with -useful- features. In my eyes, the mag-glass or the pathetic little light aren't -useful- features. My eyes are good enough to never need the mag, and the light, well, let's say I carry enough lights as it is, and I can only see it breaking on me, before I'd ever use it.

So, my question is, and I've been thinking on this for some time (as you might have noticed by my rant in the above sentences) if you were asked to advice Vic on what to do to make the Philips layer better, what would you put in across the Philips driver? Would you just make it longer, maybe? Or, can you think of a more useful tool?

I think the wrench in Wengers is already a better idea.... But not ideal yet... I just can't think of much...

So, any ideas/thoughts/ramblings?
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Dreaming SAK's: the Philips layer
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:06:19 PM
what about a full length Phillips, that when closed reached the other side?

or a 1/4" socket adapter?

EDIT

understand this is coming from a mag glass lover.  macro lens for phone camera, or micro electronics that I deal with
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 06:17:13 PM
How about a removable flint / fire steel for a wilderness Sak .

Sak's  rule !
CHEERS

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 06:18:53 PM
A mini laser pointer opposite the Phillips to drive you cat crazy at a moment's notice!!!  :tu:

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 06:49:54 PM
Can opener and bottle opener, Syph007-style!
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 06:52:00 PM

A mini laser pointer opposite the Phillips to drive you cat crazy at a moment's notice!!!  :tu:

Winner winner chicken dinner.....

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 07:05:13 PM
USB drive?
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline rberlin

Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 08:16:58 PM
The Cybertools don't interest you?

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 08:28:59 PM
The Cybertools don't interest you?

Never had one, but the Cybertool driver certainly looks a lot less "heavy duty" than the normal Philips driver.

Besides that, I do like the idea of having something besides the the Philips driver, just would like it to be something actually useful (for me) :P

I'd love that as second-and-a-halfth layer in de Spartan! :D

How about a removable flint / fire steel for a wilderness Sak .

Sak's  rule !

I don't think of the Philips as something in a wilderness SAK, but still not a bad idea :)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 11:31:48 PM
Are we talking about the type of screwdriver (two Ls) or the Dutch electronics corporation (one L)? ;)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 11:37:57 PM

This.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 11:59:55 PM
I've thought alot on this too, and what I would do is the full length long phillips like on the 111mm SAKs.  It would fold down and under the shorter larger head phillips.  I often need small head phillips and longer is better for small screws that are often recessed.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 03:48:36 AM
I've thought alot on this too, and what I would do is the full length long phillips like on the 111mm SAKs.  It would fold down and under the shorter larger head phillips.  I often need small head phillips and longer is better for small screws that are often recessed.

I'd love to have that hidden underneath the scissors on the 91mm. Imagine a Camper WITH a Phillips while keeping the corkscrew. :dd:

As for the dual openers across phillips layer, I think the 91mm frame might be too short, and if they made a phillips that would fit, it would be a bit too stubby.

Maybe a T6 or T8 driver. :think: Or a fold out 1/4 bit driver.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 03:54:17 AM

I'd love to have that hidden underneath the scissors on the 91mm. Imagine a Camper WITH a Phillips while keeping the corkscrew. :dd:

As for the dual openers across phillips layer, I think the 91mm frame might be too short, and if they made a phillips that would fit, it would be a bit too stubby.

There is no room under the scissors on a 91mm due to the backtools taking up that room.  On a 93mm though there is enough room to put one.

scissors.jpg
* scissors.jpg (Filesize: 17.06 KB)
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 03:57:43 AM

There is no room under the scissors on a 91mm due to the backtools taking up that room. On a 93mm though there is enough room to put one.

Weekend project? :whistle:

>:D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 04:06:49 AM

There is no room under the scissors on a 91mm due to the backtools taking up that room. On a 93mm though there is enough room to put one.

Weekend project? :whistle:

>:D

Making the body of a part like that can be waterjet easily enough. But making the head part... that cant be easy.  I cant think of a non labor intensive way to do it.

You know... if it worked though it would be very popular.  After scissors the next most common tool to add is the phillips driver.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 05:49:30 AM

Winner winner chicken dinner.....

Sak's  rule !

I'd go for this as well :tu:
K-Tibbs

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 09:39:39 AM

Maybe a bit driver like the Wenger Pocketgrips have? Just stick the bit in the SAK's end?  :whistle:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 01:42:20 PM

Maybe a bit driver like the Wenger Pocketgrips have? Just stick the bit in the SAK's end?  :whistle:

That bit layer is 11mm thick. Too much space for a regular SAK.

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 08:03:44 PM
"I'd love to have that hidden underneath the scissors on the 91mm."

But how about a smaller scissors? Half length for each?

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 10:05:27 PM
The magnifier is the best option  >:D
You can take great pics  :facepalm:

1.JPG
* 1.JPG (Filesize: 52.84 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!