Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wrench fxn on one piece tools

Offline maximus0723

Wrench fxn on one piece tools
on: June 30, 2014, 05:20:49 AM
Hello Everyone,

From your experiences, which one piece pocket tool has the best wrench?

I have never owned one and as someone new in this field I would appreciate any feedback.  :)

Few I have looked into are LM Piranha, Pocketwrench II, CRKT Guppie. Though I know there are lot more out there!

Share you experiences and add any recommendations if you have tried few of them.
Thank you  :tu:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Wrench fxn on one piece tools
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 05:29:49 AM
The Pocketwrench II is better at wrenching than my Leatherman Piranha, Nite-Ize DoohicKey, and Schrade Ti one piece tools.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:09:45 AM
The Pocketwrench II is better...

I have to agree that the PWII is very good, although a bit rough on fasteners due to the gripping teeth.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 07:27:50 AM
^ what they said, I EDC a PWII.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 08:37:15 AM
My Pocket Tools Piranha is pretty good :) I've used it quite a bit on my bicycles :)

Sent via Astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 10:59:37 AM
Without a doubt it is the PWII. That beast can get grip on anything!  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 02:54:07 PM
I think the previous poster explained it best in another thread.

The fact is that PW is the most versatile wrench of all OPT-s. This is why I decided to use it as basis for my "custom" OPT. It can handle metric and imperial nuts and bolts, hex ones and square ones and it would probably handle even some kind of extraterrestrial standards.

So if you are ever confronted with disassembling a flying saucer the PW is the way to go.  :multi: :whistle:

We even have a PW2 fan club around here. :D

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 07:26:40 PM
I think the previous poster explained it best in another thread.

The fact is that PW is the most versatile wrench of all OPT-s. This is why I decided to use it as basis for my "custom" OPT. It can handle metric and imperial nuts and bolts, hex ones and square ones and it would probably handle even some kind of extraterrestrial standards.

So if you are ever confronted with disassembling a flying saucer the PW is the way to go.  :multi: :whistle:

Well I must say he appears to be a really smart guy!  :D :D :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 08:05:13 PM
He has his moments. :P

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 08:23:10 PM

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 10:04:11 PM
I have the Pocketwrench, the Piranha, the Guppie and Guppie JR, and the one that keeps going back into my EDC is the Pecketwrench. the Piranha came close, very close, but not quite, and the Piranha II... no.

Only thing that beats it is a 4" adjustable wrench, which isn't as good a pry bar and is bulkier.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline maximus0723

Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 09:40:11 PM
I have the Pocketwrench, the Piranha, the Guppie and Guppie JR, and the one that keeps going back into my EDC is the Pecketwrench. the Piranha came close, very close, but not quite, and the Piranha II... no.

Only thing that beats it is a 4" adjustable wrench, which isn't as good a pry bar and is bulkier.
Hello Ironraven,

I am also torn between PWII and Piranha.
If it's not too much trouble would you provide some comparisons , pro and cons? Thank you  :)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 10:18:08 PM
The open jaw of the Pirahana is a great advantage to it. But it has Metric at one end, SAE at the other. When it was made into one tool, rather than being SAE or metric at both the open and closed wrenches, the tool lost a lot of versatility. A 30 degree jaw would have been a much better option, but would have stepped on the patent for the PocketWrench.  By just the amount of material, the Pirahana feels more solid, but I've never heard of a PW breaking

As for the driver, both of them funtion as well for turning a hex bit. Which is to say they work, but they aren't great. As a pry bar, I've abused my PW pretty hard, including wedging it in between pieces of frozen firewood and stomping down on it. I think that both have their advantages and disadvantages as prybars due to the shape of the tools. The Pirahna would make a better scraper, but you need to file the scraper straiight or give it a false edge, as it is it rounded and pretty thick.

Bottle opener... meh. I carry a SAK and a usually a Leatherman. I can open bottles with the PW.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline maximus0723

Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 11:35:03 PM
The open jaw of the Pirahana is a great advantage to it. But it has Metric at one end, SAE at the other. When it was made into one tool, rather than being SAE or metric at both the open and closed wrenches, the tool lost a lot of versatility. A 30 degree jaw would have been a much better option, but would have stepped on the patent for the PocketWrench.  By just the amount of material, the Pirahana feels more solid, but I've never heard of a PW breaking

As for the driver, both of them funtion as well for turning a hex bit. Which is to say they work, but they aren't great. As a pry bar, I've abused my PW pretty hard, including wedging it in between pieces of frozen firewood and stomping down on it. I think that both have their advantages and disadvantages as prybars due to the shape of the tools. The Pirahna would make a better scraper, but you need to file the scraper straiight or give it a false edge, as it is it rounded and pretty thick.

Bottle opener... meh. I carry a SAK and a usually a Leatherman. I can open bottles with the PW.
Thank you for elaborate reply.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD