Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Great Hangar Tryout Thread

av8r1 · 37 · 4233

00 Offline av8r1

The Great Hangar Tryout Thread
on: July 02, 2014, 04:55:58 PM
Several weeks ago, I got myself a job as an aircraft mechanic's apprentice.  This means that I'm getting paid to go to school, and I'd like to take this opportunity to invite my college loan officer choke on her own lies.  It also means I work with tools a lot, and a great context in which to talk about multitools.

With airplanes, you use the "right" tool for the job.  This pretty much means don't use pliers to turn nuts and bolts if you can help it.  Thing is, I find that a Leatherman sometimes IS the right tool for the job, particularly with safety wire.

But *which* Leatherman should I use?  I've been using my Skeletool, but frankly I'm getting tired of moving all of my EDC stuff from my street clothes to my work clothes every time I get to work, so I'm thinking of dedicating a tool to work.  I'll try out the ones I have for hangar duty before I make any purchases.  Each tool will get its own post.  So stick around, this should be fun.  I'll probably be on a similar hunt for a work flashlight.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: The Great Hangar Tryout Thread
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:09:34 PM
If any of our techs were caught using a multitool on an aircraft, they'd be put through the wringer.  We have a very strict tool control program, and nothing gets used unless it's been approved, and signed out of the tool crib.

Our program is more strict then others, as most the other programs, each tech has his/her own toolbox, and only speciality tools need to be signed out.  Still though, no outside tools are allowed to be used, and each toolbox needs to be verified to make sure there are no missing tools. 

The motto here is "Uncontrolled tools are potential FOD, that might not be found until it's too late".

I didn't mean to make this post sound like a downer, and I apologize as it probably does.  Good luck with your apprenticeship, and MT search for the job!

00 Offline av8r1

The Skeletool
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 05:25:01 PM
I already knew the Skeletool would be great around the hangar, I learned that at my first aviation maintenance job, working as a Repairman.  It tends to come out when there's safety wire to install, oil filters to tear apart, or packaging to open.

It saved a lot of effort one day when a pilot bringing his airplane to our shop landed a bit long on our field's short runway, slammed on brakes and *ahem* used up a tire.  We had to fix it in place, just off the runway.  We had to bring all the tools with us, and we forgot a screwdriver to take the wheel fairing off.  But guess who had a Leatherman on his hip?

Main issue is twisting.  Sometimes I've got to grab and twist something, and the Skeletool really isn't up to that task.  That and like I said, I'm tired of moving my EDC equipment over to my work clothes and back every day I work.
My EDC:

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:41:21 PM
This is a great opportunity :tu:

As an apprentice, you should learn from your master in stead of some internet form. ;)
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 06:28:58 PM
You know derekmac, you bring up an excellent point.

Surgeons count their tools before and after operations to make sure they haven't left anything in the patient, and those amateurs only have one life in their hands at a time.  Some airplanes hold 500 people.  No airplane that big can make it into our field's 2500 foot runway, but still.

Being one A&P IA and the guy he just hired, we don't have such a program in place (In fact, I don't think I've seen a GA shop that does), but I'm beginning to think we should.  You've got me thinking of building my own toolbox complete with those foam drawer inserts with cutouts for each tool, so I can quickly and easily account for all my tools.

I don't see a reason why one of those cutouts couldn't be Leatherman shaped though.  Especially for working with safety wire and cotter pins, I find Leatherman-style pliers superior to basically any other purpose-built pliers.  Long as it gets counted among all the wrenches and sockets, it shouldn't present a FOD risk, no more than a regular set of pliers does.

The FOD factor might eliminate tools that have removable screw driver bits from the shopping list.  Fixed drivers don't tend to fall out.
My EDC:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:51:46 PM
You've got me thinking of building my own toolbox complete with those foam drawer inserts with cutouts for each tool, so I can quickly and easily account for all my tools.

I don't see a reason why one of those cutouts couldn't be Leatherman shaped though.  Especially for working with safety wire and cotter pins, I find Leatherman-style pliers superior to basically any other purpose-built pliers.  Long as it gets counted among all the wrenches and sockets, it shouldn't present a FOD risk, no more than a regular set of pliers does.

The FOD factor might eliminate tools that have removable screw driver bits from the shopping list.  Fixed drivers don't tend to fall out.
No exactly.  If you make it part of your toolboxes inventory, then I see no problem at all with having one in there.  I think they would be very handy in fact.  All the toolboxes here have the cutouts for each tool.  It's easy to do, and could provide you with piece of mind that you didn't forget something near a critical component.

Our programs deal with domestic and foreign government contracts, so almost everything is a double or triple check process.  It can be a pain, but DND doesn't mess around when it comes to their aircraft.

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:51 PM
Oh yeah, working on government contract means the anal retention is exponentially greater.  Less so with the owner-flown piston singles that pass through our hangar.  ;)

The other thing that those toolbox cutouts does is make sure tools don't wander off into other boxes.  When a set of wrenches is a week's salary, you want to keep track of them.
My EDC:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 12:36:23 PM
This discussion reminded me of this incident:
http://www.caa.govt.nz/Script/Accident_Details.asp?Oc=12/218

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 01:00:41 PM
Without tool control, that can very easily happen.  I'm a huge supporter of tool control, and believe that even the private sector should be engaged in it. 

Another thing done here is, when an aircraft is going out for a ground run or flight, all toolboxes are verified and locked.  A special key is then brought to the tool crib showing the checks were done, and it is verified that no tags are missing and all tools have been returned.  The key is then given to the pilot letting him know they are safe to continue. 

00 Offline av8r1

The Wingman
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 09:01:54 PM
I'll rule the Wingman out.  It's handles are too bulky and clumsy, so it's hard to get down into a machine, and the wire cutters just don't work.  The blade cut a soda bottle into a makeshift used oil funnel pretty successfully though.  Still, it's back to "around the house" duty for the budget Leatherman.

I think my Wave would do well, but I don't want to use it since it already has a job.  I may just have to make a purchase or two.
My EDC:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 02:35:38 AM
Speaking as someone with a Commercial Pilot Licence and Flight Instructor Rating who can't find a flying job  :facepalm::worthless:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 05:00:57 AM
A Pulse might be a good option , better pliers than the Skeletool, locks & no removable tool bits, a nice compact MT. The kick,Fuse & Blast series are great bang for your buck & have stronger pliers again over the Pulse  :think:
If you are hammering the wire cutting aspect maybe the Rebar might be a goer with the replaceable cutters  :think: :think:

Congrats on the  apprenticeship mate  :salute: :salute:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 02:48:27 AM
I know this thread is in the Leatherman forum and that this post is about a Fenix flashlight, but I tried out the flashlight at the hangar, so it fits with the overall theme.  If the topic needs to be moved to General Discussion, that's cool.

So the Fenix E12:  It's okay I guess.  I like the simple operation, I like the fit and finish, and the beam pattern is okay.  When you're used to looking at Led Lenser's spill, the light cast by a reflector alone looks fuzzy somehow.  Doesn't really matter when you're head first and hip deep in an empennage.

Three problems though:  First, without a pocket clip, it tends to turn sideways and lay flat at the bottom of a pocket, so it's tough to fish out.  Second, with it's perfectly cylindrical profile, you don't get a feel for which end is which, so I end up clicking the lens as often as the button, doubly fun when you've got greasy mechanic hands.  Third, it needs treatment to get rid of those smurfing chines around the tailcap.  I don't need it to stand up like a candle, but I do need to press the tail clicky please. 

If anyone knows of a pocket clip that fits a 19mm diameter cylinder, let me know.  It would fix two of the above issues and make this a passable light.
My EDC:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 11:24:54 PM
have you looked at a Zebralight?

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 02:55:03 AM
Can't find them anywhere.
My EDC:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 03:37:40 AM
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 05:43:16 PM
Sweet Odins gonads, get a load of those price tags!  There ain't nothing about a metal tube, a button and an LED that costs $64.  I could have a light custom cast in solid silver for less than that.
My EDC:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 05:54:06 PM
I need my eyes tested.

I keep seeing 'The Great Hangover  Test Thread' :facepalm:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 08:05:01 PM
And now for kirk13, with this edition of "What your internal autocorrect says about you."

:cheers:
My EDC:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 08:54:40 PM
And now for kirk13, with this edition of "What your internal autocorrect says about you."

:cheers:
:drink:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 01:06:36 PM
I need my eyes tested.

I keep seeing 'The Great Hangover  Test Thread' :facepalm:
I think you just failed The Test.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 02:20:22 PM
Sweet Odins gonads, get a load of those price tags!  There ain't nothing about a metal tube, a button and an LED that costs $64. I could have a light custom cast in solid silver for less than that.
I'd be very interested in a custom made solid silver light with similar functionality and performance to a Zebralight SC52 for $64, in fact I'll buy two from you.  Please let me know when you've got them ready to buy !!!    :pok:   ;)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 03:16:24 PM

If anyone knows of a pocket clip that fits a 19mm diameter cylinder, let me know.  It would fix two of the above issues and make this a passable light.

The Clip you can buy in thw Mini Mag (AA) Accesories set might fit the bill - Unopened it´s 17 mm inner diameter, should fit 19 mm fine , I guess.

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 08:24:44 PM
I might spring for the Mag-Lite kit.  If the clip doesn't fir the Fenix, I'll just put it on my mini mag.
My EDC:

hu Offline Josy

Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 08:46:46 PM
Several weeks ago, I got myself a job as an aircraft mechanic's apprentice.  This means that I'm getting paid to go to school, and I'd like to take this opportunity to invite my college loan officer choke on her own lies.  It also means I work with tools a lot, and a great context in which to talk about multitools.

With airplanes, you use the "right" tool for the job.  This pretty much means don't use pliers to turn nuts and bolts if you can help it.  Thing is, I find that a Leatherman sometimes IS the right tool for the job, particularly with safety wire.

But *which* Leatherman should I use?  I've been using my Skeletool, but frankly I'm getting tired of moving all of my EDC stuff from my street clothes to my work clothes every time I get to work, so I'm thinking of dedicating a tool to work.  I'll try out the ones I have for hangar duty before I make any purchases.  Each tool will get its own post.  So stick around, this should be fun.  I'll probably be on a similar hunt for a work flashlight.

Hello av8r1

First of all Congratulations for your Apprenticeship.

I'm also in aircraft industry just i'm an Electrician.

I'm considering to buy an LM multi tool. My friends are saying Surge and Wave is the best, but I cannot decide between them.

For small jobs on the Line Maint. an LM is neccessery but sometimes in Base enviroment it can be very usefull.

For the Headlight question Led Lenser H7.2 is one of the best what i've seen so far. I heard good things about Zebralight but I've never seen any of them in work...
For Handlamp in our Hangar almost everybody uses Led Lenser P7 or P6
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:48:55 PM by Josy »

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 11:25:30 PM
Howdy Josy.

I find that the Wave is pretty much the maximum weight I want to haul around the hangar or line with me, especially since I end up rolling around on the hangar floor dealing with wheels, so I don't like wearing a sheath.
My EDC:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 04:42:42 AM
Having wrenched on airplanes myself in the past, I would have to recommend the Rebar.  Safety wire can be a real turd, I only ever used dedicated safety wire pliers with the ratchet on them.  I pretty much carried them in my back pocket.  But this is in the days before I really knew a lot about multitools, in fact, I got my first modern leatherman at that job, a Juice S2.  The juice wasn't much for safety wire, but the Rebar's super grippy plier head and bombproof replaceable wire cutters make it ideal.  I use mine for cutting really hard alloy steel strings every day, and not a single dent.  As for cotter pins, Rebar wins again.  I find my rebar is almost as effective than my snap on duckbill pliers(every mechanic should have a set) when it comes to pulling out a tricky cotter pin. 

Congrats on the apprenticeship, I wish I had finished mine out.  I went a different (set of) route(s) and wound up as a Machinist, and finally a Shop Foreman.  I miss wrenching though, it was pretty darn cool. 

What Aircraft are you working on?  I mainly worked on Twin Otters, single engine pipers, and a few Cessna 180's. 

hu Offline Josy

Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 08:28:31 AM
Having wrenched on airplanes myself in the past, I would have to recommend the Rebar.  Safety wire can be a real turd, I only ever used dedicated safety wire pliers with the ratchet on them.  I pretty much carried them in my back pocket.  But this is in the days before I really knew a lot about multitools, in fact, I got my first modern leatherman at that job, a Juice S2.  The juice wasn't much for safety wire, but the Rebar's super grippy plier head and bombproof replaceable wire cutters make it ideal.  I use mine for cutting really hard alloy steel strings every day, and not a single dent.  As for cotter pins, Rebar wins again.  I find my rebar is almost as effective than my snap on duckbill pliers(every mechanic should have a set) when it comes to pulling out a tricky cotter pin. 

Congrats on the apprenticeship, I wish I had finished mine out.  I went a different (set of) route(s) and wound up as a Machinist, and finally a Shop Foreman.  I miss wrenching though, it was pretty darn cool. 

What Aircraft are you working on?  I mainly worked on Twin Otters, single engine pipers, and a few Cessna 180's.

In the Rebar's size the Charge AL or Wave is more  sympathetic or (Vic Spirit ).

If i could manage more Multi tools at the same time I would go with Surge, Charge AL, and a skeletool or squirt PS 4

I work on Airbus 320 family most of my time, but sometimes like in the summer season when we have lack of work I work on Boeing 737 NG's.

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 09:26:10 AM
Everytime I see this thread I click on it thinking people are attacking coat hangers with mts and am then quickly dissapointed and saddened greatly.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 12:23:15 PM
Everytime I see this thread I click on it thinking people are attacking coat hangers with mts and am then quickly dissapointed and saddened greatly.
Hangar

Perhaps you should start "The Coat Hanger Tryout Thread" yourself.....  :pok:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:29:01 PM by Syncop8r »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79