Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Living with an OHT

kirk13 · 58 · 5440

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Living with an OHT
on: July 28, 2014, 11:48:13 AM
A week ago my OHT arrived,the prize I won in the World Cup giveaway thread.

I was a little apprehensive about getting it. I've been a bit cynical about the OHT,I Havnt really seen why Leatherman needed to make a flicky tool,nor why all the tools needed OHO. The lack of scissors and the lack of a bit driver,or bit driver compatibility struck me as major drawbacks.

Jzmtl's excellent review highlighted another thing...pliers and blades are pretty much Juice sized. To me,the blade issue isn't a big one,but it's a hell of a big tool for such small pliers.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:52:02 AM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Living with an OHT
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:03:22 PM
I've been carrying the OHT since I got it(except for my trip into London last Thursday. There's just no justification to taking an OHT to a pub :whistle:).

Tuesday and Wednesday last week saw it getting a pretty fair workout,as there were two largish deliveries to deal with.

I'm really rather impressed with the Phillips. Despite not being a full 3d tool,it bites the screw heads well,even taking on the tiny screws on HO/OO scale cars. I've not tried the can opener yet,but it follows the standard LM pattern,which I really like. The large flat driver has been used foe some light prying with much sucess.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:07:15 PM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:08:07 PM

OMG,those blades are nice and sharp >:D I've only used them for box bashing,but man,they just go through the packing boxes like a hot knife through butter :D

Deployment of the PE blade is easy and instinctive. The SE,on the other hand...well my gut feeling is that it should be where the hook is,allowing easy access to right hand users. I've been playing,and the SE can be opened one handed,but it isn't all that easy. Not a big deal,but the USP is supposed to be OHO on every tool :shrug:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:13:20 PM by kirk13 »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 12:17:10 PM

The belt cutter is nice,I like that a lot! The Oxygen Wrench makes it very easy to open,and it's great for cutting straps! I doubt I'll get much of a chance to test the wood saw,but having used both Wave and Juice saws,I'd have few doubts as to its ability. It's short length might be a drawback for some,but I can't see it being an issue for me.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 12:25:43 PM
My favourite feature has been the lock on the pliers! Oh how I love this!

The little catch rotates through 90 degrees,allowing you to lock the pliers in the closed position. One of Gerbers biggest failings is its tendency to deploy the pliers within pockets or sheathes. This lock catch is a real touch of genius!

I'm not a fan of spring loaded pliers,never have been! I don't need to be fighting a spring when I'm trying to get a tool into its point of use. The Wingman failed big time on this for me( as well as a list of other faults). The spring on the OHT is quite soft,making it easy to partially close the tool with only a finger and thumb,even for those like me with smallish hands.

On the subject of size...

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:32:25 PM
The OHT is a full size MT!

Compare it to a Wave,a PST (well KST ),a SwissTool and a SAK !

I'd thought the OHT would be a beast to manage. It's not. The ergonomics rival the Spirit for good design. It's been well thought out,it's very tactile,the little relief details on the scales of what tool is where are very good( although I agree with jzmtl about it needing Wave style riding on the spine of the SE blade).

The molle sheath is ok,although how it will wear over time is another question. If I were going to carry the OHT on a regular basis,I think I'd be off looking at Skinths again.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:44:35 PM
Ages ago,I made a contraversal  statement about the Wingman: LM had finally made a tool to rival the Gerber Suspension.

With the OHT I'm going to make another one: This is the first Leatherman I've owned since my first PST that I've not found any real faults with! With Waves,Fuses etc,there's always been something to rankle,but the OHT has had the PSTs instant and complete useablity.

Yes,it lacks scissors,and yes,it lacks a file,and yes these might well be oversights,but conversely,I can't see how you'd include them.

No,I can't see that it offers a military alternative to say a MUT or a MP600ST,but I could see it being a winner for LEOs or EMTs.

Is it a direct competitor to the MP600?

Depends...verses a ProScout? Probably no,the ProScout has a much higher tool density,but it's an alternative to a standard 600.

We've taken to calling the MP600 the Kalashnikov of multitools,so what does that make the OHT? Maybe the Armalite,or an MP5? I'm really surprised how much I like this tool,I'd been dreading finding something nice to say just to be polite,but it's a gem!

Thank you Leatherman. Not only for supplying my OHT as a prize to a bunch of tool geeks,but for designing your best MT in years! Well bloody done :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 02:34:58 PM
Nice write up, John. Thanks for that  :cheers:

I'm also surprised how much you like it  :think: It seems quite far removed from what I'd expect you to enjoy using. Is this a tool you've been carrying at work, or just at home? One of my reservations with the tool is not just what it hasn't got that I need (such as scissors), or all the other stuff bandied around about the OHT, but also it has got what I don't need. It seems to be overly full of cutting edges with the little saw, the two knife blades and the strap cutter. What's your thoughts there?

I've never felt a need for a strap cutter as a daily carry item (aside from the Res-Q-Me on my car keys), are you getting much use out of it? To me, it just seems a little redundant alongside the other cutting implements.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 02:48:03 PM
Nice review. It could never replace my MP600 but I'd sure like to win one  :D

Would I use it? Probably not. But I'm sure it would get lots of OH/flicky action.
SAW

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 02:49:38 PM
Al,to be very honest,I'm surprised just how much I like it!

Yes,I've been using it at work,as well as going down to the gun club. It's only on Thursdays drinking session that it's not been with me.

In answer to your question of the proponderance of cutting edges: your not wrong,but I think that's down to the para-military nature of the tool. The rescue hook would be damn useful to anyone where there's lots of strap cutting needing done( for example,the loading bay at my work,as opposed to me as a salesman).

In short,it'll be great for cops or paramedics,but I'm loving it in that its a LM that's working straight out of the box,and the fact that its a refined Gerber! Think of a MP600 as a Land Rover,the OHT is a Range Rover.

It's one of those tools that's better in the hand than on paper,if that makes sense?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 02:50:12 PM
Nice review. It could never replace my MP600 but I'd sure like to win one  :D

Would I use it? Probably not. But I'm sure it would get lots of OH/flicky action.

Steve,you might be surprised...I know I've been!

hr Offline styx

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 02:57:03 PM
ofc blame Kirky for making me want an OHT. to be fair Joel shares this blame
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 02:59:31 PM
ofc blame Kirky for making me want an OHT. to be fair Joel shares this blame

Yeah that's fair :shrug:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 03:37:20 PM
Al,to be very honest,I'm surprised just how much I like it!

Yes,I've been using it at work,as well as going down to the gun club. It's only on Thursdays drinking session that it's not been with me.

In answer to your question of the proponderance of cutting edges: your not wrong,but I think that's down to the para-military nature of the tool. The rescue hook would be damn useful to anyone where there's lots of strap cutting needing done( for example,the loading bay at my work,as opposed to me as a salesman).

In short,it'll be great for cops or paramedics,but I'm loving it in that its a LM that's working straight out of the box,and the fact that its a refined Gerber! Think of a MP600 as a Land Rover,the OHT is a Range Rover.

It's one of those tools that's better in the hand than on paper,if that makes sense?

Yeah, I can certainly see the benefits to the first responder type role. I do most of my (non emergency) strap cutting with serrated blades, which this already has. The Wings slipit was used just last week for destroying a damaged 2 tonne lifting sling. I know what you mean about better in practice than on paper too. I was very surprised by the performance of the much maligned BG Strata this weekend. Sometimes a tool kind of looks wrong but feels right when you actually come to use it.

You ought to roll all those thoughts together, add a few pros and cons, and you've got the makings of a good review for the main site there mate  :salute:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 03:56:20 PM
I noticed your work with the BG Strata, Al.  The Strata is an extremely underrated tool IMO.  As for the OHT, I'll have to get my hands on one just to play.  Most of the OH function is kinda lost to me being a lefty.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 04:37:33 PM
Great review! Glad you are getting along with it so well. I have never used one, but I think I will wind up getting an OHT at some point. I just really like the notion of everything being so easily accessible, even though this tool seems to have one too many blades. A little redundant, IMO

I have never understood the statement some have made that they thought the pliers were small. They look huge to me (although I've never used a Surge, ST, or comparably sized MT). Long needle nose, big bolt gripper, and they use the same size cutters as the ST. Maybe it's an optical illusion because of the way the handles cover the pivot area of the plier head?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 04:53:54 PM
Great review John!!  I still want one (depending on my mood), and would love to be able to compare it to my MP600.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 05:04:07 PM
Good stuff, nice to read your opinions.  I had one briefly but returned it. I could have got used to the sping loaded pliers, but for me the killer was the size.  Too much size and weight for that tools it has.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 05:16:57 PM

I have never understood the statement some have made that they thought the pliers were small. They look huge to me (although I've never used a Surge, ST, or comparably sized MT). Long needle nose, big bolt gripper, and they use the same size cutters as the ST. Maybe it's an optical illusion because of the way the handles cover the pivot area of the plier head?

I'm glad you commented on this. I still had the OHT sitting next to the other tools in from the group photo above,so I opened up the tools to prove the point...

And guess what?

Here's the OHT with the SwissTool

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 05:25:52 PM
Funny that you chose a Swiss Tool for comparison - I have always considered it's pliers to be small relative to the rest of the tool.  :rofl:
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Act2uToo

Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 05:36:29 PM
Yes, the OHT and Swisstool pliers extend out of the tool body the same amount, but the OHT's pivot is inside the body of the tool, thus it has much longer plier jaws.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 09:01:19 PM
There is an OHT coming to me, I can't wait to feel it myself.
So far it doesn't look like something that i would like (that is why I never purchased one), but seen like this MT had surprised a few members here in a good way, I hope I would be along them shortly.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 10:46:23 PM
Nice review! It's time to get a Rebar. :pok:
Leatherman

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 11:53:10 PM

I've had one cLMf...gifted it away,it didn't gel with me

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 12:10:27 AM

I've had one cLMf...gifted it away,it didn't gel with me

Same here

As for the optical illusion on the plier size, I think it's the 80's shoulder pads that confuse the eye  ;) They seem to have done a better job with these pliers than on the Rebar too, in as much as the cutters don't seemd to impede on the gripping area as much

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Living with an OHT
Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 02:07:14 AM
Quote from: kirk13 link=topic=53640.msg924093#msg924093 date=1406543545
[URL=http://s782.photobucket.com/user/kirk130013/media/imagejpg6_zps0d5afbe3.jpg.html
(Image removed from quote.)[/URL]

It took me a minute to put my finger on what looked strange about that wave! :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 08:51:00 AM
That's not a Wave,that's my P.U.G!

:D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:24:43 AM by kirk13 »

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 05:40:49 PM
Great reading material mister! Sure there are some drawbacks but overall the OHT do seem to be a pretty neat "little" tool.

You definitely changed my mind, with the exception of the strap cutter (and I'm sure it excels at cutting straps) and the absence of some others, the tools seem to be very usable making it a good option as na around the house carry (at least for me).

Thanks again sir, a very enjoyable Reading as always . :salute:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 06:10:37 PM
Thank you very much WWW

I need to get some more pics done on how the BO is wearing,I'll see if I can get them done this evening

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 11:11:38 PM
So,we're well into the second week of living with the OHT. I'm still taking a lot of pleasure using it. I don't know how the Great Book of Multitools will remember the OHT,but damn it a Jim, I like it!

What I have noticed,however,is the wear patterns starting to develop on the BO finish!

The plier release buttons

Large flat driver/my Prybar/backup cabinet key

And the much used Phillips
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:16:04 PM by kirk13 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%