Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to re-shape a SAK knife point?

au Offline archerwin

How to re-shape a SAK knife point?
on: July 28, 2014, 01:22:08 PM
I have bought some old SAKs with some of the blade tips chipped.

What are the tools needed? I've read somewhere here the you need files, do they need to be special type of files?

I don't have any other power tools except for my dremel and a power drill.

Can you please help guide me with some steps (and tools used for each step)?

Thanks a lot!

archerwinsak.blogspot.com.au

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: How to re-shape a SAK knife point?
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:01:36 PM
I've used the stones from my Lansky to re profile a tip before
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:06:10 PM
Speaking of which guys... I just got this. Do you think anything can be done to it (broken both blades, broken scissors spring, broken liner...)or is it bound for the trash bin? It is a Victoria Climber with Pat Pend Can Opener so I would have like to fix it, but I'm afraid the damage is too great...

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 02:16:56 PM
I used to use my sharpmaker stones but got one of these for a few dollars and its great to get the shape back and then hand polish with Micro-Mesh .

Dont have a pic of mine but its a bit more decrotive than this one with some nice brass details and I am allowed it on my desk as its an antique  , I have a few magnets stuck on it which catch a good chunk of the dust.

I have tried with a dremmel but I did not get on with it with the hand crank you are pretty much in complete control

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 02:17:42 PM
@ archerwin. What do you usually sharpen your SAKs with?

@ Corwyn. Take more pics, showing the blades closed and broken liner.

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:54 PM
Oh and work from the spine down to get the tip back

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:36:51 PM
Speaking of which guys... I just got this. Do you think anything can be done to it (broken both blades, broken scissors spring, broken liner...)or is it bound for the trash bin? It is a Victoria Climber with Pat Pend Can Opener so I would have like to fix it, but I'm afraid the damage is too great...

(Image removed from quote.)

Nothing you can do for broken liners, except total dismantle and liner replacement. If you are going to do that you may as well replace all the blades.

au Offline archerwin

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 03:36:50 PM

@ archerwin. What do you usually sharpen your SAKs with?

I haven't tried sharpening a Vic blade either. usually if they are for my collection, I don't  sharpen the blade.

au Offline archerwin

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 03:37:21 PM

I used to use my sharpmaker stones but got one of these for a few dollars and its great to get the shape back and then hand polish with Micro-Mesh .

Dont have a pic of mine but its a bit more decrotive than this one with some nice brass details and I am allowed it on my desk as its an antique  , I have a few magnets stuck on it which catch a good chunk of the dust.

(Image removed from quote.)

I have tried with a dremmel but I did not get on with it with the hand crank you are pretty much in complete control

What's that called?

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 04:19:02 PM

That!^

I've inherited a knife or two over the years with chipped points. I use a mill smooth file, (6 or 8 inch) and make smooth strokes down the spine towards the tip. With a little bit of practice, you will end up with a spear point again. Just go slow, and every few strokes, stop and look at how the angle is coming. You won't be able to replicate the Victorinox spear point, but it will be more of a Wenger spear point. And that ain't a bad way to go! :tu:
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Saluki

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:17 PM

That!^

I've inherited a knife or two over the years with chipped points. I use a mill smooth file, (6 or 8 inch) and make smooth strokes down the spine towards the tip. With a little bit of practice, you will end up with a spear point again. Just go slow, and every few strokes, stop and look at how the angle is coming. You won't be able to replicate the Victorinox spear point, but it will be more of a Wenger spear point. And that ain't a bad way to go! :tu:

I have followed the same process with success.  In addition to this, I use a Sharpie marker to draw a new outline on the blade and color where metal needs to be removed.  That helps me to get the shape as close to original as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 04:51:53 PM

That!^

I have followed the same process with success.  In addition to this, I use a Sharpie marker to draw a new outline on the blade and color where metal needs to be removed.  That helps me to get the shape as close to original as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exactly what I do for a broken tip. The stainless Vic blade is also easy to work with a small diamond file and you finish with sand paper to polish the spine.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:14:00 PM
@ Corwyn. Take more pics, showing the blades closed and broken liner.

It's not that bad with them closed: the top of the blades is almost intact.
The liner doesn't seem to have a big crack but the openers and the awl are just flopping around... no spring action at all...

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

au Offline archerwin

Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 10:40:56 PM
Is this the file? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111409936918

Or so I need a more "industrial" one like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/350982484945

What's the best grit to start with? Is 300 ok?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD