Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Zippo Owners Club

Pacu · 240 · 32719

00 Offline richardpuller

• New User
Re: The Zippo Owners Club
Reply #150 on: November 17, 2019, 08:45:17 PM
can someone tell me what this is please?
zippo2.jpg
* zippo2.jpg (Filesize: 123.96 KB)

00 Offline litheo

Reply #151 on: November 23, 2019, 11:43:45 AM
Here is one of mines
zippo Matteo wood.jpg
* zippo Matteo wood.jpg (Filesize: 86.41 KB)

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #152 on: November 23, 2019, 11:57:30 AM
Here is one of mines

Very interesting.  It looks almost like a wood grain appearance.

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #153 on: November 23, 2019, 01:46:40 PM
I have also a few ZIPPO's  :hatsoff:
Zippo-1.jpg
* Zippo-1.jpg (Filesize: 196.43 KB)
Zippo-2.jpg
* Zippo-2.jpg (Filesize: 239.77 KB)
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

us Offline Sos24

Reply #154 on: November 23, 2019, 08:28:22 PM
I have also a few ZIPPO's  :hatsoff:

That blue is very cool.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #155 on: December 13, 2019, 08:14:12 PM
Nice Zippos, gentlemen! :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #156 on: December 28, 2019, 08:49:09 PM
Totally worn out

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gr Offline Nikanor

Reply #157 on: February 09, 2020, 11:17:25 PM
And one ''ancient'' zippo:
IMG_9086.JPG
* IMG_9086.JPG (Filesize: 219.52 KB)
''The character of the state, reflects the character of its governors''
Isokrates, 436-338 BC

Offline Hiiipower

• New User
Reply #158 on: February 23, 2020, 01:50:48 AM
Newbie here! Hi everyone.

I recently discovered this at a tobacconist that I work at and I have zero knowledge about zippos as we stopped carrying them but would anyone happen to know the value of this? I've seen $10k+ on zippo's website but that seems pretty high.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115964548@N03/shares/G5U5C9

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #159 on: May 29, 2020, 06:52:22 AM
Newbie here! Hi everyone.

I recently discovered this at a tobacconist that I work at and I have zero knowledge about zippos as we stopped carrying them but would anyone happen to know the value of this? I've seen $10k+ on zippo's website but that seems pretty high.

(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115964548@N03/shares/G5U5C9

I doubt you're still looking here for a reply after three months, but if so, I'll take a shot.

The original MSRP on these was $12,850.80 (see https://therichtimes.com/the-18-karat-solid-gold-zippo-lighter/ ).

There are several listed on ebay right now for about $10,000 - $12,500.  If yours is a brand new, pristine, never-lit example with all original box and papers, it might go for something in that range to the right buyer, though obviously the market for lighters costing five figures is somewhat limited.  Condition is everything to collectors, however, so if your example has been carried, lit, marked up by handling in the store, missing any of the original paperwork, etc., that will cut its value significantly.

P.S.  You could easily verify this with a postage scale or similar, but the solid 18 kt gold case probably contains about 44 grams of 18 kt gold, so the value of the precious metal alone should be $1800 or so.  (The insert, while gold-colored, is not actually made of gold.)

P.P.S.  The 18 kt solid gold lighter on Zippo's website currently (not a limited edition) has an MSRP of $11,893.95.  ( https://www.zippo.com/products/solid-gold?_pos=1&_sid=23abee7c5&_ss=r )

Offline Kyle Marin

• New User
I need Help.
Reply #160 on: August 10, 2020, 09:02:32 AM
My Moms Dad passed away about 6 years ago and she kept his Zippo and then I got it from her. Fact of the matter is, I could not find any information on it what so ever and I only found a few pictures of it online but not seen it being sold on any websites. If anyone here knows when it was sold new and how much it might be worth in its current state. I plan on keeping it because it is definitely unique in my opinion 
20200809_234734.jpg
* 20200809_234734.jpg (Filesize: 112.99 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #161 on: August 10, 2020, 05:31:21 PM
Hello Kyle!

Neat keepsake from your Grandpa; it looks well-used/carried too.

If we could get a clear picture of the bottom of the lighter, that would be helpful.  There should be some information stamped there.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #162 on: August 10, 2020, 06:21:37 PM
No picture of it at the moment but I have one with an american flag faded. Looks real nice. Father in law gave it to me a few years ago as a birthday gift. He passed in June so I think itll just stay in the box it came in.  :tu:

au Online Echotech

The Zippo Owners Club
Reply #163 on: August 11, 2020, 12:05:00 PM
Was given this in 1989 as a leaving present from work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:38:35 PM by Echotech »

Offline Kyle Marin

• New User
Pictures
Reply #164 on: August 11, 2020, 12:27:19 PM
Hello Kyle!

If we could get a clear picture of the bottom of the lighter, that would be helpful.  There should be some information stamped there.

Offline Kyle Marin

• New User
Pictures
Reply #165 on: August 11, 2020, 12:28:49 PM
Hello Kyle!

SmartSelect_20200810-171256_Gallery.jpg
* SmartSelect_20200810-171256_Gallery.jpg (Filesize: 388.04 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #166 on: August 11, 2020, 08:27:53 PM
Thanks Kyle, that’s perfect.

“XIII” indicates it was manufactured in 1997, with “E” denoting May of that year.

As I said, its cool to have as a keepsake from your Grandpa, but from a purely monetary standpoint, I doubt it is worth much at all...

For one thing, condition is everything with regard to collector value.  This example appears to have been used and carried, with no box or papers.  For another (and perhaps even more to the point), Zippos in general tend not to sell for crazy amounts of money, unless there is something truly exceptional about them, e.g. used and carried by someone famous (with documentation to back this up, of course), or perhaps if they are very old and in still in excellent condition.  Another exception is solid gold Zippos (as discussed earlier in this thread) which may contain several thousand dollars worth of 14 kt or 18 kt gold, even if sold only for the scrap gold value.

Offline Kyle Marin

• New User
Thanks
Reply #167 on: August 13, 2020, 05:00:14 AM
Thanks Kyle, that’s perfect.

“XIII” indicates it was manufactured in 1997, with “E” denoting May of that year.

As I said, its cool to have as a keepsake from your Grandpa, but from a purely monetary standpoint, I doubt it is worth much at all...

For one thing, condition is everything with regard to collector value.  This example appears to have been used and carried, with no box or papers.  For another (and perhaps even more to the point), Zippos in general tend not to sell for crazy amounts of money, unless there is something truly exceptional about them, e.g. used and carried by someone famous (with documentation to back this up, of course), or perhaps if they are very old and in still in excellent condition.  Another exception is solid gold Zippos (as discussed earlier in this thread) which may contain several thousand dollars worth of 14 kt or 18 kt gold, even if sold only for the scrap gold value.

Kyle Marin -

Appreciate the help on identifying this. Again I had never seen one like this very little information I was able to get on this model specifically. Not very many pictures either.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Thanks
Reply #168 on: August 14, 2020, 05:40:21 AM
Appreciate the help on identifying this. Again I had never seen one like this very little information I was able to get on this model specifically. Not very many pictures either.

You're welcome!   :cheers:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #169 on: December 23, 2020, 10:33:09 PM
Currently in my pocket

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Pacu

Reply #170 on: December 24, 2020, 01:13:43 AM
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #171 on: December 24, 2020, 04:56:55 AM
I'm a fan of the Zippo single torch insert as well, and one is normally in my pocket.

:cheers:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #172 on: December 25, 2020, 06:04:53 AM
20201224_230010_03

The small group so far.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #173 on: September 18, 2021, 07:06:57 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #174 on: February 24, 2022, 03:23:27 PM
Hello.  :D
I guess I can join this club. This was my birthday gift from my girlfriend.

Also, I would like to assemble it, and my girlfriend keeps asking if I have, so I think I should.
The thing is, I do not want to just assemble it and have the fluid evaporate in a week.
What can I do? :think:

I saw Zippo are making a butane insert, and I would get it, but it has so many negative reviews, I've decided against it.

au Online Echotech

Reply #175 on: February 24, 2022, 09:29:35 PM
:like: great design on that Zippo RP

The fluid usually takes at least a month to evaporate on mine, think it’s just part and parcel of owning a Zippo but no longer smoking

I keep a peanut lighter on my keychain and get much better mileage because it has a thin O ring, not sure if something could be made for the zippo, probably wouldn’t close properly is the problem I think :think:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #176 on: February 25, 2022, 01:14:07 AM
The Zippo butane insert works well enough in my experience, I also use (and recommend) a soft flame insert from Vector (the Thunderbird I believe).

If you want to use fluid with the case she gave you then evaporation is just something you'll have to deal with, depending on your use it shouldn't completely dry up that quickly. Just consider it part of your EDC maintenance routine. That said there are some options for it:

-Throw a ranger band over the split in the case to minimise evaporation

-You can buy gaskets that create more of a seal on the bottom of the insert than the felt pad does (and also has space for spare flints)

Enjoy your Zippo, if it's your first they're a helluvalotta fun  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #177 on: February 25, 2022, 04:41:26 PM
Evaporation is just part of the Zippo experience/ownership.  I've tried a few options and from my experience non really made a difference.  Maybe its my environment maybe its other factors.  They are neat thats for sure and there is something cool about a Zippo.  Maybe its the ting when opened or the smell of it when lit.  Whatever it is there is bound to be one that catches the eye.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #178 on: February 26, 2022, 07:56:33 AM
I saw Zippo are making a butane insert, and I would get it, but it has so many negative reviews, I've decided against it.

I have some experience with the single torch insert…

Pros:

- Odorless (unlike the traditional liquid fuel)

- Jet/torch flame is very wind-resistant

- Allows you to use your favorite Zippo case

Cons:

- Needs to be refilled frequently.  Zippo claims up to 100 lights per fill.  I didn’t conduct a scientific study, but in real world use it seemed to be somewhat less than that.

- Doesn’t store well.  I filled one and had it sitting around as a backup, but when I finally tried to use it, it didn’t light.

- “Refillable” does not mean “will last forever”.

Not really a pro or con, perhaps more a quirk, was that I found they would almost never light on the first try, but almost always would light on the second try.  So I got in the habit of double-tapping the ignition every time, which produced the desired outcome.

us Offline Sos24

The Zippo Owners Club
Reply #179 on: February 27, 2022, 02:59:27 AM
Hello.  :D
I guess I can join this club. This was my birthday gift from my girlfriend.

(Image removed from quote.)

Also, I would like to assemble it, and my girlfriend keeps asking if I have, so I think I should.
The thing is, I do not want to just assemble it and have the fluid evaporate in a week.
What can I do? :think:

Congratulations. 

As for evaporation, butane inserts are really the best solution.  Of several different brands of inserts I have tried the Vector/Thunderbird inserts have been the most reliable, especially the soft flame.

Another solution is to use a ranger band around the opening.  The ranger band will slow evaporation.  I had also tried these caps for the bottom of the insert, but they didn’t seem to stop or even slow evaporation.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%