Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small leatherman?

Offline jeremy1517

Small leatherman?
on: August 01, 2014, 07:05:24 PM
Which small leatherman do you all recommend?

I have a Wave and want a nice small pocket model. I prefer a clip but not required.

I also want a blade that is on the outside, if there is a model.

What is the best model?

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Small leatherman?
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 07:17:14 PM
Maybe a skeletool, pretty limited on a outside opening blade. PST or PST II no clip or outside blade. Wingman and sidekick but kind of lower end IMHO.

Sak's  rule !
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:18:54 PM by colt 1911 »
CHEERS

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Small leatherman?
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:17:48 PM
Depends on how small you want. There also aren't many options with a pocket clip built in.

The old, discontinued Sideclip might work for you. There's also the Wingman and Sidekick. The retired line with the zytel lining have the option of a pocket clip, I think.

If you don't need a pocket clip, and can live without one-hand-open blade, then there might be something in the Juice line that works for you.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 07:19:38 PM
Kick has a clip.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:23:24 PM
I think the Kick had an OPTION for a clip. It didn't come with one, so you'd have to hunt down an accessory for a discontinued tool. Not impossible, just not easy.

Also, sorry to say I forgot about the outside open blade with the Sideclip.

I think then the only options are Wingman and Sidekick.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 07:29:36 PM
there's also the Freestyle. it's somewhat lacking in the tools department (just a blade and pliers), but it's an option.

I'll put in another vote for the Skeletool. I love my CX for lightweight pocket carry. :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:33:10 PM
Check out the juice range,no clip though but outside blade,or smaller you have the squirt ps4  :tu:

Offline jeremy1517

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 07:33:54 PM
For the skeletool, is it worth upgrading to the CX model?

gb Offline pingu

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 07:38:17 PM

I have a Wave and want a nice small pocket model. I prefer a clip but not required.

I also want a blade that is on the outside, if there is a model.

If you are asking for "pocket" and not "keyring" have a look at the pre-2014 Juice range (the ones with the smooth scales).    A few surmountable issues but reports of backsprings breaking are a worry.  I carry the S2 and like it.  In terms of capability consider it a SAK with reasonable pliers.  Outside accessible blade.

If you want a clip and can accept inboard tools track down a Kick (and buy a clip).  I did but feel the clip detracts from the Kick's smooth lines.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 08:04:43 PM
Honestly, I would look elsewhere. Small tools are where leatherman are at their weakest. Their strength seems to lie in the 4" and 4.1/2" tools, and below that they get shoddy. I've tried a number of their smaller tools:

Style PS - weak scissor spring lasted only a few months. I have had this replaced under wartranty, but try to avoid using the scissors on this thing ... but if I do that what's the point in carrying it.

Squirts - very sloppy build quality in all the ones I've had - not as good as my Gerber Dimes. Most of the squirts have had blades that catch on the scales of the tool, plus I've had bald spots on tools, poor peening ... quite frankly, don't bother

Micra - a great tool if you can get an older model. The quality on a new one will be a lottery

Juice - in theory it's perfect, in practice it's very disappointing - don't even get me started

Skeletool - try before you buy. Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em. Not sure about current quality as I haven't handled one for a while, but worth borrowing one or trying them out in a store before handing over the readies.

My personal favourite pocketable tool at the moment is probably the Gerber Balance (though the MP400 is close too), though the Octane might be worth looking into too. Would a well equipped SAK fit the bill instead?

If you're considering another larger tool at some point in the future, then by all means explore the rest of the Leatherman range, Wave, Charge, Surge, ST300, whatever ... However, for smaller tools, Leatherman would be far from my first choice

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 08:20:24 PM

when it comes to the Skeletool, I think Mr. Whippy had some great advice:

Skeletool - try before you buy. Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em. Not sure about current quality as I haven't handled one for a while, but worth borrowing one or trying them out in a store before handing over the readies.

personally, I love the Skeletool. I got the CX when it first came out a few years ago, and it has remained one of my favorite tools to this day. (and I've picked up a couple more since then.) I think the CX version is worth the extra cost because of the 154CM steel used in the blade; the DLC coating and carbon fiber insert are just for looks.

that being said, I know there are plenty of people who dislike the ergonomics of the tool or don't get along with it for some other reason. it seems to be one of the most polarizing tools -- people seem to either love it or hate it, with very few in the middle.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 08:37:52 PM
Honestly, I would look elsewhere. Small tools are where leatherman are at their weakest. Their strength seems to lie in the 4" and 4.1/2" tools, and below that they get shoddy. I've tried a number of their smaller tools:

Style PS - weak scissor spring lasted only a few months. I have had this replaced under wartranty, but try to avoid using the scissors on this thing ... but if I do that what's the point in carrying it.

Squirts - very sloppy build quality in all the ones I've had - not as good as my Gerber Dimes. Most of the squirts have had blades that catch on the scales of the tool, plus I've had bald spots on tools, poor peening ... quite frankly, don't bother

Micra - a great tool if you can get an older model. The quality on a new one will be a lottery

Juice - in theory it's perfect, in practice it's very disappointing - don't even get me started

My personal favourite pocketable tool at the moment is probably the Gerber Balance (though the MP400 is close too), though the Octane might be worth looking into too. Would a well equipped SAK fit the bill instead?

If you're considering another larger tool at some point in the future, then by all means explore the rest of the Leatherman range, Wave, Charge, Surge, ST300, whatever ... However, for smaller tools, Leatherman would be far from my first choice

Wow. I don't agree with a few of those. You must have very bad luck or something.

I have had a Style PS and used the scissors literally every single day for around 2 years and never had one issue with it.

The Squirt line has been excellent for me as well. Everything is peened correctly and no rubbing on the tools to scale.

Same with the newer Micra. Admitting the last Micra I got was about a year ago, but everything is top notch on it.

I guess it just goes to show Leatherman needs to focus on quality control to make sure everyone gets a consistent product.
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 09:35:51 PM
Cap'n, the knives on at least two (or was it three-I'd need to check) squirts didn't rub - they actually got caught up, and there was a flat spot on both knife blades and a mark on the scales from doing this. Have you experienced the (fairly common) saw on a juice getting caught up on an awl, so you have to push the saw over so it closes? Same deal here  :-\ Closing the knife without pushing it inwards would get caught up everytime.

On the small tools, it seems the only thing they seem to get consistently right is the pliers. LM always made a good job of pliers - well, until they made the Rebar - not a fan of those at all as I've said many times. I don't have much faith in LM's smaller stuff at all. Nice designs, but I just haven't got any confidence in them.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 09:54:01 PM

For me, that mainly depends on how much you dislike the partly-serrated blade. Some people despise them :P (right, Lynn?  ;) )

I'm not much of a steel-snob, so I don't care all too much about the fancier steel.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 10:06:54 PM
For me, that mainly depends on how much you dislike the partly-serrated blade. Some people despise them :P (right, Lynn?  ;) )

Yup. Hate them. HATE them. And I guess I'm well known for that, huh? :D

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 10:23:36 PM

Yup. Hate them. HATE them. And I guess I'm well known for that, huh? :D

you have excellent taste, Lynn. :cheers: :D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 10:33:44 PM
Cap'n, the knives on at least two (or was it three-I'd need to check) squirts didn't rub - they actually got caught up, and there was a flat spot on both knife blades and a mark on the scales from doing this. Have you experienced the (fairly common) saw on a juice getting caught up on an awl, so you have to push the saw over so it closes? Same deal here  :-\ Closing the knife without pushing it inwards would get caught up everytime.

On the small tools, it seems the only thing they seem to get consistently right is the pliers. LM always made a good job of pliers - well, until they made the Rebar - not a fan of those at all as I've said many times. I don't have much faith in LM's smaller stuff at all. Nice designs, but I just haven't got any confidence in them.

I know exactly what you mean about the Juice saw.

I'm not saying your right or wrong in any way. I'm just saying I have not had those bad experiences with the PS, Micra, and Squirt line.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 11:14:32 PM
Welcome to the forums.  :cheers:

I have not had any problems with the Style, Squirt or Micra tools.
I also dislike combo edges.
I haven't tried the Skeletool CX but do think I would like it.

Is the Wave with the removable pocket clip not to your liking?

Offline jeremy1517

Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 11:21:06 PM
I don't have a pocket clip for the wave yet. I thought I'd like to try something smaller and lighter than the wave.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 11:43:12 PM

I'm not saying your right or wrong in any way. I'm just saying I have not had those bad experiences with the PS, Micra, and Squirt line.

Yeah, for sure  :salute: All we can do is relay our experiences. Mine have been bad, yours have been good  :cheers:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 02:09:27 AM
I don't have a pocket clip for the wave yet. I thought I'd like to try something smaller and lighter than the wave.

I almost never carry tools in my pocket, but I've been doing a bunch of home repair stuff and have been pocket carrying my Wave. It is unpleasantly heavy, IMO, so I know where you're coming from. Although, the pocket clip DOES work well, and allows the tool to ride deep in the pocket.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 06:05:40 AM
A Squirt P4 is my EDC - small and light enough I hardly notice it in my pocket, and zero QC issues.  I can't say the same about the PS4 version, I have several of these with a broken scissors spring.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 07:21:31 AM

Yeah, for sure  :salute: All we can do is relay our experiences. Mine have been bad, yours have been good  :cheers:

Maybe your just a dodgy LM magnet? :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 08:44:46 AM
If we knew what kind of size you are looking for, it would be a bit easier. If we're down at keyring-size, here's another one that can recommend the Squirt P4. When I first got it, I was actually disappointed; it was way smaller than I thought it'd be, but now it's the only MT I carry when I'm at work, unless I know that I'm for some reason gonna need something bigger. It saves me a lot of trips down to the workshop, to get the "right" tool.

If you're going for something bigger... Well, I would actually recommend the one you already have - get either a pocket clip or a quality sheath for it, and you should be good to go. Admittedly, I've never handled a Wave before, but it's pretty high on my wishlist. Either that, or a Wingman.

If that's still too big... I'd say you need something from the Juice-series. The old Juice-series, that is. The new ones aren't exactly pretty and IIRC the quality has been dropped a notch on the new models.

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 05:09:45 PM
My preference in this department is the Skeletool/CX. Sold my CX to try a Juice, ended up reversing that about a month later.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 05:42:57 PM
Small with a clip ( tho not a deal breaker )  :think:, I'd also say Skeletool or one of my 2 favorites........ Juice S2 or Squirt P4.  The Juice will fit in your 5th pocket and quite literally disappear same with the Squirt. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 06:24:27 PM
Small with a clip ( tho not a deal breaker )  :think:, I'd also say Skeletool or one of my 2 favorites........ Juice S2 or Squirt P4. The Juice will fit in your 5th pocket and quite literally disappear same with the Squirt.

I would say it will fit in some peoples 5th pocket. I have seen people put a Wave in the fifth pocket, but for me a juice will barely fit and get stuck if forced in. Horizontally that is.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 06:29:10 PM
Fair enough Capt  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 06:33:27 PM
Fair enough Capt  :tu:.

I just figured I would mention it.

I wish I could fit the Juice in my fifth pocket. It would make for a amazing pocket to carry it in. I always wish I had a 4"-5" slim pocket in between my front right and back right pocket. It would be perfect for multitools and/or folders.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 02:47:44 AM
Fair enough Capt  :tu:.

I just figured I would mention it.

I wish I could fit the Juice in my fifth pocket. It would make for a amazing pocket to carry it in. I always wish I had a 4"-5" slim pocket in between my front right and back right pocket. It would be perfect for multitools and/or folders.

Makes sense as not all 5th pockets are same size.  I remember someone here who was able to put a mid size LM in theirs.  I have some GAP jeans that fit the Juice perfectly and now that I think about it I don't know if its the same in my Carhartts  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD