Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Director scales - how to remove and reattach

Offline meserie

Director scales - how to remove and reattach
on: May 28, 2024, 12:08:38 AM
Does anybody know how the Director scales are attached? Are they glued on?
I bought a fairly beat up Director (dull scissors with missing spring, bent SD tip on orange peeler, dull blades, etc.). It has been restored under warranty - they did an excellent job, all the tools are like new - just that the scales don't sit quite well over the external liners anymore. So I am thinking about reattaching them, but I don't know how to remove them in the first place. I can't find any disassembly videos or instructions online.
Any advice is highly appreciated!
Thanks.  :hatsoff:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Director scales - how to remove and reattach
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2024, 12:17:44 AM
Hi

These are just regular Cellidor scales - Right?

They should be removed by sliding a sharp thin blade through the toothpick or tweezers slot, under the scales and prizing them off .
Remember the hot water trick etc

I am sure one of the documents here will run through this process

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43303.0.html

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 12:21:30 AM
   I would guess the stainless steel scales are glued on.  Just a guess.  How about a photo showing how the scales fit now?  If they aren't outrageously out of line, I would just leave them alone.  Could be tricky getting the scales off without damaging them.  If you bend one, it would be ruined.  There is no guarantee that you could get them to line up any better than the experts doing the restoration.
    I know the silver scales have location holes in the scales to fit over the pins just like a cellidor knife.  I seem to remember they were glued on.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)
 :think:

Offline meserie

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2024, 12:33:50 AM
Hi

These are just regular Cellidor scales - Right?

They should be removed by sliding a sharp thin blade through the toothpick or tweezers slot, under the scales and prizing them off .
Remember the hot water trick etc

I am sure one of the documents here will run through this process

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43303.0.html

The Director's scales are stainless steel.
The Executive is the one with cellidor scales.

Offline meserie

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2024, 12:37:29 AM
   I would guess the stainless steel scales are glued on.  Just a guess.  How about a photo showing how the scales fit now?  If they aren't outrageously out of line, I would just leave them alone.  Could be tricky getting the scales off without damaging them.  If you bend one, it would be ruined.  There is no guarantee that you could get them to line up any better than the experts doing the restoration.
    I know the silver scales have location holes in the scales to fit over the pins just like a cellidor knife.  I seem to remember they were glued on.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)

They aren't terrible, but it still bugs me... :)
I'll be back with some photos.
Thanks!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2024, 12:38:00 AM
I haven’t had one apart, but they would have to be glued/epoxied on.

Offline meserie

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2024, 11:18:21 AM

IMG_4453 c.jpg
* IMG_4453 c.jpg (Filesize: 122.18 KB)

On the left, the external liner is the most visible.
Upon closer inspection it appears that the external liners are thicker than what I had thought. I don't have clear pictures from before the restoration to check whether initially the liners were flush with the scales.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2024, 01:02:36 PM
   I think I see what you mean.  If the scale were the same overall length as the liner next to it, then it would look really strange.  It would be much shorter than the scale on the other side if that happened.  Why is the liner shorter than the metal scale?  Beats me.  Repositioning that overlapping scale (probably not possible) means that it would just overhang on the other end.  That would really look strange.  Again, probably not possible, since the holes in the scale have to line up with the pins. 
   Sometimes an item irritates me too.  I either decide to tolerate it, or swap it to someone else.  I wonder if the liner was damaged in some way (at least in the eyes of the workman who did the repair) and shortened at that time.  Might have been like that to begin with?  Best wishes.  Gary

Offline meserie

Reply #8 on: May 29, 2024, 10:10:26 AM
I am back with some better pics (I hope).

I think I found how the scales are attached to the external liners: it appears to be some sort of metallic tape. We can see that the left side of the outer liner sticks out of the scale more than the right side. And there is the metallic tape stuck between the two, on the left side of the picture.

The tape can be seen better under a different angle, here on the lower right side of the next image:

So it appears that in some places there is tape stuck between the scale border and the liner, preventing a good match between the two.

An interesting note:
I believe that all the liners have been replaced during the repair. There is that ugly hole which had been drilled through the scales and the liners. The initial liners had been bent by the drilling, and the hole edges were pretty ragged. Now the holes through these new liners are very clean. I am actually impressed that the repair guys decided to drill the liners to match the ugly holes of the scales. I am thinking about adding a small bail.  :think:
The external liners are thicker and they appear to be made of aluminum, while the internal liner is thinner and has the appearance of nickel silver.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 11:20:55 AM by meserie »

Offline meserie

Reply #9 on: May 29, 2024, 10:12:20 AM
Now I am left with the question whether the initial liners were thinner, so as to be flush with the scales  :think:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 11:17:43 AM by meserie »

Offline meserie

Reply #10 on: May 29, 2024, 11:34:59 AM
   I think I see what you mean.  If the scale were the same overall length as the liner next to it, then it would look really strange.  It would be much shorter than the scale on the other side if that happened.  Why is the liner shorter than the metal scale?  Beats me.  Repositioning that overlapping scale (probably not possible) means that it would just overhang on the other end.  That would really look strange.  Again, probably not possible, since the holes in the scale have to line up with the pins. 
   Sometimes an item irritates me too.  I either decide to tolerate it, or swap it to someone else.  I wonder if the liner was damaged in some way (at least in the eyes of the workman who did the repair) and shortened at that time.  Might have been like that to begin with?  Best wishes.  Gary

I, too, understand now what you mean. But that is not what I tried to describe initially  :D - sorry for the misunderstanding.

The Director's scales are hollowed out, so the overlap is the same all around. The outer liners are supposed to be seated inside the hollow scales.
The problem is that one of the liners doesn't sit well inside its scale, and I suspected it was because of too much epoxy maybe...

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2024, 12:33:21 PM
   Those are very good close-ups.  I agree the scale sits too high.  You might heat the glue enough to get the scale off.  Then again you might completely wreck it.  Lots of bother to send it back again. 
    I know people have stuck on scales with two sided tape.  I never tried it.  Could be tape on this thing.  Could be glue.  Could be both.  If it were mine, I would leave it alone.  If you decide to take it apart, let us know how it comes out.  Best wishes.  G

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $123.78
PayPal Fees: $6.94
Net Balance: $116.84
Below Goal: $183.16
Site Currency: USD