Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the SAK Dead?

Huntsman · 102 · 10006

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Is the SAK Dead?
Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 05:32:59 PM
If the SAK is dead,  then I am a zombie collector

+1

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 05:47:25 PM
I would love to see them offer a combo tool / Phillips layer instead of the openers. It would be slightly wider but the only part needed would be a modified combo instead of the magnifier.

That might be a viable "evolution" with usefulness for new and old worlds.

us Offline asmitty

Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 05:59:03 PM
Now multitools or folders on the other hand, I've seen a few guys packing those.

To be fair, those are much more noticeable as they are often clipped to pockets or worn on belts.  Unless you see someone using their SAK, or it is on their keychain, it can be hard to know if someone carries one.

On the other  hand.  I see quite a few of them around here.  My uncle carries one (not a gift from me).  My dad carries one (not a gift from me, but where I learned).  My wife keeps one in  her purse and on her keychain (I gave her both of them, but only after she asked for them).  A friend here at work (bank IT department) carries one everyday (and even has a back-up in case he loses the primary).  Said friend's father carries one (although his brother, who also works with us, does not).  A different guy here at work also carries one AND has a Victorinox t-shirt.  I also see them around quite a bit.  Many people around here carry them on their keychains, and not just 58mm ones either.  I see a fair amount of 91mm Spartans and Tinkers on keychains.  But, I also live in a place where carrying a knife is still more "in fashion" than other places I've been.  If I spend any portion of the day somewhere other than home or work, I almost always see either a folder clipped to a pocket or a folder or MT on someones belt.  Also, the bank I worked at before this one had a guy in one of our production departments who carried a Buck 110 on his belt every day.  No one ever said boo to him about it.  At that same bank, my SAK once fell out of my pocket in my manager's office.  She simply brought it back to my desk when she found it to return it to me.  No big scared eyes, no telling me not to carry it to work, just returned it to me so that I wouldn't wonder where it was.
Yes that's true, but I've been out to sea a long time.

us Offline asmitty

Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 06:01:07 PM
I would love to see them offer a combo tool / Phillips layer instead of the openers. It would be slightly wider but the only part needed would be a modified combo instead of the magnifier.

That might be a viable "evolution" with usefulness for new and old worlds.

I could get on board with this in a big way.  I carried a Vic Explorer for a very long time, but my regular carry has changed since I got a Yeoman.  The Yeoman offers all of the functionality of the Explorer in a smaller package.  I think those who use a can opener would miss the standard Vic can opener, but the combo tool is the perfect melding of the two for me, especially if a phillips is always included with it.
Yes that's true, but I've been out to sea a long time.

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 06:29:25 PM
The SAK dead? In no way - imo!

The main blade ok, the small blade gets a lot of use (the file not so much) - I use it for the dirty jobs while the mainblade is great for food prep and related tasks ;)
The bottleopener is in use every single day. You need to know that bavarian beer needs to be opened with a caplifter, you can´t twist that open, believe me.
Canopener doesn´t get really much use in my tasks.
Awl is fine, no way.
Corkscrew... well the same as beer, here wine is usually bottle with a cork and nothing to twist.

So a standart SAK is quite self-explanating   :climber:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 06:43:43 PM
Main Blade  nice
Small Blade. Why? We have the main, nail file would be better! 
Bottle opener. No, but a good screwdriver
Can opener. Just in case, plus good screwdriver
Corkscrew  no use
Awl - Nice
Saw. Not really, but comes in handy, but then again, it's only like 3"
Philips. Would be useful, but on the main side rather then the back as a "T" handle
Scissors. Would come in handy
Mag glass. For what?
File. Again, great for a nail file, could be handy like the saw, but it's only 3"
Fish scale. Again, anyone who's going to be fishing is going to have the real thing..

A real knife would be a main blade, combo tool(can/bottle/screwdriver), scissors, Philips, awl, and a extras would be the nail file and saw,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 07:11:16 PM
Now multitools or folders on the other hand, I've seen a few guys packing those.

To be fair, those are much more noticeable as they are often clipped to pockets or worn on belts.  Unless you see someone using their SAK, or it is on their keychain, it can be hard to know if someone carries one.

On the other  hand.  I see quite a few of them around here.  My uncle carries one (not a gift from me).  My dad carries one (not a gift from me, but where I learned).  My wife keeps one in  her purse and on her keychain (I gave her both of them, but only after she asked for them).  A friend here at work (bank IT department) carries one everyday (and even has a back-up in case he loses the primary).  Said friend's father carries one (although his brother, who also works with us, does not).  A different guy here at work also carries one AND has a Victorinox t-shirt.  I also see them around quite a bit.  Many people around here carry them on their keychains, and not just 58mm ones either.  I see a fair amount of 91mm Spartans and Tinkers on keychains.  But, I also live in a place where carrying a knife is still more "in fashion" than other places I've been.  If I spend any portion of the day somewhere other than home or work, I almost always see either a folder clipped to a pocket or a folder or MT on someones belt.  Also, the bank I worked at before this one had a guy in one of our production departments who carried a Buck 110 on his belt every day.  No one ever said boo to him about it.  At that same bank, my SAK once fell out of my pocket in my manager's office.  She simply brought it back to my desk when she found it to return it to me.  No big scared eyes, no telling me not to carry it to work, just returned it to me so that I wouldn't wonder where it was.

That's a very good point, and one I should have thought of since I carry mine in my pocket :facepalm: 

I work at a bank as well, so it's hard to tell if anyone else carries anything.  I don't like to sheath carry, and wouldn't here at the bank anyway as it would look a little odd with business attire, at least IMO. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 07:15:16 PM

That's a very good point, and one I should have thought of since I carry mine in my pocket :facepalm: 

I work at a bank as well, so it's hard to tell if anyone else carries anything.  I don't like to sheath carry, and wouldn't here at the bank anyway as it would look a little odd with business attire, at least IMO.

You need a shoulder holster! :tu:  >:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 07:17:04 PM
I'm carrying my Swisschamp in a brown leather sheath. It's a little heavy but lighter than a Wave and is balanced out by my right side carry of a BO Rebar.
SAW

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 07:17:47 PM

That would be interesting, especially if I was wearing a jacket over it >:D
K-Tibbs

00 Offline Jan

Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 07:23:12 PM
Can opener: where I live, almost no cans have ring pulls. I suppose canning companies are looking after their profit margins. It is my most used tool on my Vic.
Corkscrew: I drink wine, my friends drink wine and the wine we drink, have corks.
Cap lifter: some beers still have lift caps, sometimes you can even still find coke bottles with lift caps.

If it wasn't for these three "openers", I wouldn't even carry a sak, I would just carry my Opinel.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 07:26:00 PM

That would be interesting, especially if I was wearing a jacket over it >:D

:2tu:  Perhaps an ankle holster for casual Fridays? ;)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 07:28:51 PM

You have the right to carry a pocket knife, of course where you work always has part in telling you if you can too, but that's if they know you have something in the first place, I worked at lowes for six years and they told us we couldn't, but I told them flat out I needed something due to customers coming in and I had to work with them and take half of there crap apart, and well it made it much easier, so they let me carry a multitool.. Of course size plays a big part in carrying too, if it was some larger 4" lockback knife then well, I don't think so, but with a sak and the blade is thin, and only 3-1/2" people don't see it as dangerous, that's diff especially if you can carry it in your pocket rather then need a sheath to lug it around! So size matters! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 08:01:40 PM
I'm a little surprised how many don't like having a small blade. Having a smaller blade is one of the main points of carrying a classic pocket knife, whether it's a Case or a Victorinox, over a Spyderco or a Benchmade. For me, it's not about dirty jobs or backups: It's about control. A small blade is nimble, a long blade has reach (doh :) ). A long blade is extremely clumsy for small stuff compared to a short blade. To take an extreme example: It's a reason scalpels are short. Having a small blade instead of a nail file (a nail file is pretty useless to me, I adjust my nails with a blade) is one of the really big reasons I prefer the Vic default loadout over Wenger's.

As for "obsolete single use tools": http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46255.0.html :D

I once tried to figure out what I personally what consider a nice, future proof SAK, only filled with stuff I actually use, and ended up with something that basically is a Harvester. (I still usually EDC a 91 mm, having a small blade being a big reasion.) Of the tools on the Harvester, I guess the cap lifter is the most "controversial". The reason I want it is we will never stop needing a pry tool, and beer in Norway, as in many other countries, especially microbrews, generally comes with a crown cap. Having the possibility to turn screws and open bottles takes away nothing from the fine pry tool. For may day to day use, the 58 mm line has the more relevant screwdrivers if you are actually going to turn screws with them.

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 08:20:50 PM
I have to agree 100 % with Steinar.

The small blade is such a wonderful tool!
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 08:34:51 PM
I agree that many of the standard tools are a waste of space.  I've been carrying SAKs for decades, and as far as I can remember I have never used the cork screw, can opener, toothpick or small blade.  What does get used is a main blade, scissors, flat driver and real 3D phillips that folds out 180 degrees like God intended.  I also use the magnifier pretty often.  So I pretty much hone in on the Yeoman as the "best" SAK ever.  But yeah, if I could wave a magic wand (okay, I do wave one sometimes but it doesn't work) the cork screw and can opener would disappear, leaving behind a thinner, lighter SAK.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 08:45:42 PM
If there is ONE other tool I'd want, along with a blade, it would be the large flathead driver. Or, maybe more specifically, a light-duty pry tool, to save the tip of your blade from having to try plying tasks.

I still encounter a LOT of flathead screws too, and I find the Vic can opener to be an excellent light duty philips driver.

I like the IDEA of two blades, but in the real world, I've never needed them. So, I'm pretty happy with the file in place of the small blade.

That makes the Cadet a pretty excellent package, IMO.

Onto 91mms, though... The awl on Vics is an amazing tool, but I almost never need it. I have never, not ONCE, needed the parcel hook. Same with cork screw. And, I'm not too thrilled with the backside philips. However, if one has to be picked, I'd pick the Philips.

On the top of my want list for any tool is a good pair of scissors. So, this puts the Climber/Super Tinker very close to the top of my needs/wants list.

As for can and bottle openers, almost all of the canned goods I buy require a can opener. Much of the beer I buy (since i tend to get micro brews) need bottle openers. I don't drink wine habitually, and yes, most of what i drink is twist off.

For ME, the can and bottle opener layer is useful, but not extraordinarily so. Out in in the wilds of 'reality' I'm much more likely to need a bottle opener than can opener, and pretty much every MT has one, even if they're not awesome.

I use the toothpick on my tools a LOT. I very rarely use the tweezers, but I've found they work fine as a screwdriver for eyeglass size screws, and i wear glasses. While I only need an eyeglass screwdriver very rarely, when I need one, I NEED it. Like, I can't drive without my glasses. That alone makes tweezers worth carrying.

Twist tops and pull tabs may dominate, and send openers into obsolescence, but you will always have use for a pry tool, IMO. If the opener layer was whittled down to a combo opener and flat-philips, I'd be fine with that, really.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 08:46:46 PM
I don't know of any micro brewery that has a twist off cap. They all require a bottle opener.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 08:49:27 PM
I'm not sure if I was clear on that point. It's not that some of the microbrews I get have twist-offs, because you're right, all mircrobrews I know of have caps that need cap lifters.

It's that I occasionally get mass-produced beers that do have twist offs. Hope that clarifies.

Assuming the comment was in response to my post.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:47 PM
Nope just happened to post after you, but I didn't read yours yet.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #50 on: August 07, 2014, 08:53:11 PM
Mag glass. For what?

Splinters.  Some of us are sissies, and can't just leave a splinter in a finger to fester all day like you tough guys can.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: August 07, 2014, 09:03:20 PM
Mag glass. For what?

Splinters.  Some of us are sissies, and can't just leave a splinter in a finger to fester all day like you tough guys can.
So true, but that's where those wallet ones come in handy.. JR

nl Offline WengerChamp73

• New User
Reply #52 on: August 07, 2014, 09:27:07 PM
And how useful are these tools these days?
  • Corkscrew -Redundant – Wine bottles are usually screw top these days

The corkscrew on my old Wenger Champ must have opened at least a 1000 bottles of wine since the '90's. (It did a lot of work in a few student houses I lived  :D ). I still use it on a regular basis.

Even now where I live there are still a lot of corks on wine bottles, especially the more expensive ones.

It's always handy to always have an extra corkscrew around you can easily find, especially when (getting) drunk  :drink: 

To me the corkscrew and the Philips screwdriver are the tools I use the most that's why it's a bit frustrating these tools very often replace each other except on the thicker SAKs. And I prefer an inline Philips screwdriver. Well maybe someone at Victorinox is reading this thread  :whistle:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #53 on: August 07, 2014, 09:46:15 PM
Welcome to the boards, WengerChamp73!

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #54 on: August 07, 2014, 09:53:05 PM
Welcome to the forum!

My recommendation for you: Victorinox Scientist. Or Explorer. Or Swisschamp. Or all of them...  :tool:

it Offline danilo

Reply #55 on: August 07, 2014, 09:53:20 PM
in Italy a wine bottle with twist cap is frowned  upon, and labeled as bad, at least I'd do so. I've never had a wine bottle without cork, and I also buy 3/4 euros bottles, not expensive ones.
the same is true for beers bottles, I only know of one beer with twist cap (splugen) and I would not rate it as very good (and italian beers are usually not that good anyway).

although I usually drink wine at someone's place (included mine) where you have a kitchen corkscrew, on camping I've needed it from time to time, and having it was very usefull.

in the end: no, I wouldn't change those tools in my sak, they are the main reasons for them to be, in my humble opinion...

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #56 on: August 07, 2014, 09:54:04 PM
What you need is a Swisschamp or Cybertool. Both have everything you'll need.
SAW

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: August 07, 2014, 10:21:00 PM
Every time people talk about cap lifters and cork screws being obsolete, I love bringing up one of my favorite lambics: Cantillon Gueuze. The bottle is closed with a cork... protected by a crown cap. You need both a cork screw and a cap lifter to get at the yummy stuff inside.  :cheers:

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #58 on: August 07, 2014, 11:22:34 PM
Every time people talk about cap lifters and cork screws being obsolete, I love bringing up one of my favorite lambics: Cantillon Gueuze. The bottle is closed with a cork... protected by a crown cap. You need both a cork screw and a cap lifter to get at the yummy stuff inside.  :cheers:

Good point. All beer should come like that!
But that one you have to be Norweigian to afford, how much is that, 7€?  ;)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:26:15 PM by Mextreme »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 08, 2014, 12:08:44 AM
Better to drink a little of the good stuff than lots of the smurfy stuff.  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%