Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is the SAK Dead?

Huntsman · 102 · 10012

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Re: Is the SAK Dead?
Reply #60 on: August 08, 2014, 02:35:07 AM
Let me take a quick poll... No, they are mostly sleeping. Except for the ones you just made cry, Huntsman. They find your lack of faith disturbing. :P

Historically, on multibladed pocket knives, you had more than one angle on them, for example, the larger blade having a stronger but not quite as sharp edge and the smaller VERY sharp. The tool maker knew that the tool user would optimize the tool for their needs, and provided for that. As we've moved away from being tool users, perhaps that no long is the case, but I think even if we don't go out of our way to have this at the top of our minds, it's there. The small blade doesn't get used because one day you'll need that super sharp, very maneuverable blade, while we beat the smurf out of our main blade by cutting light metal and lots of cardboard with it.

A real can opener.... Lets face it, yes, lost of stuff use a pop top. Pop tops are less robust and more expensive and much more likely to get snagged in the shopping bag and release chili on top of your bananas. Give me a real can with a real top every time, and for anyone who can't be man up to use a can opener... Darwin says you don't need to eat. I also use the curved semi-sharp blade of the Vic can opener for scoring paper and striping wire.

Screwdriver/bottle opener, lots of things that don't have twist tops in my world. And know how to get around it- I could just go two-toothed hillbilly and gnaw the cap off, to, but it's only slightly less classy than scarring my host's furniture or using my lighter. Besides, twist tops aren't something you find with home brew. And I find lots of things with straight screws. And it's a light duty pry tool.

The corkscrew is a picking tool for many of us. It is becoming less common and it could be replaced with a backside phillips, but I've used it to work free knots that otherwise I would have cut to get through. And it carries my glasses screwdriver. Besides, good wines have corks. I mean, I suppose a twist off is better than wine bought in a plastic bottle with a screw top, or a box, but... no.

The awl... I guess not needing to poke/punch a hole in a plastic bottle or sheet or through light sheet metal is something some folks don't need to do. Honestly, I find the awl too valuable in many conditions, and it has kept me from drilling and poking with the tip of my knife several times. It is also good for scraping, something you don't want to do with your main blade, and I've picked lots of stones out of tires with one.

Now, admittedly, I usually carry a Compact, which doesn't have the second blade or the can opener or the awl. Becuase it is partnered with my Rebar and lots of dedicated knives that are in rotation. I already have an awl (and usually a gimlet in the form of a hex shank 5/64" drill bit for my bit driver), a can opener and an awl in my Rebar and the SAK is the backup blade for a single blade folder or a smallish fixed blade. But when I can only carry one, it's either a Super Tinker or a Huntsman.

This all coupled with increasingly unfriendly knife laws in some countries; an increasing expectation of an easy life; less self-sufficiency in society; more throw away - less fixing; more time for kids in front of the telly or computer, instead of in the outdoors creating, exploring and whittling   :(  ....

Only if you want to give up and quit and let the mindless mob of halfwits who wet themselves at the sight of a knife rule you. I'm not saying the choice live on your knees or die on your feet- I'm going to work with my hands. Every component in a SAK has more than one function- it's an IQ test. The book says a Spartan has 9 tools with the glasses driver, plus keyring and T&T. Maybe 11 you separate the screwing and opening functions. But to someone who has mastered the Way of the SAK, there are tools almost without measure here. And that's just the basic model.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:46:38 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: August 08, 2014, 06:26:13 AM
Dead?  Not by a long shot.  Here's my take:

• Main Blade - Fine
  • Small Blade - I can see the argument for redundant, but I for one like to have one blade to junk up with dirt, adhesive residue, etc. and another to keep clean and always sharp for food, cigars, splinters, etc.
  • Screwdriver - Plenty of flat head screws still here in the US of A.  Last time I used a flat-head screwdriver was yesterday (my Electrican Plus on the screws on the back of a picture frame)
  • Bottle opener - Most of the beer I drink at home comes in bottles without the twist off tops.  Last time I drank a beer from a bottle without a twist off top was this evening (I used my Craftsman bottle opener)
  • Can opener - I get plenty of mileage out of this as well, especially since my wife's kitchen can opener broke and we haven't bothered to replace it.  Last time I opened a can that did not have a pull tab or ring was yesterday (used my Voyager to open a can of olives)
  • Corkscrew - This is really useful for knots, as well as holding the mini-screwdriver.  Last time I drank wine from a bottle that required a corkscrew was last week.  (I grabbed the kitchen corkscrew since it was handy and provides more leverage than a SAK)
  • Awl - Fine

I agree, though, that in only one or two generations we seem to have gone from the general expectation that all men and boys, and some women and girls, carried knives all the time to the general expectations that everything will be easy-open or pre-cut; it is better to attack a stubborn package with keys, ball-point pens, or teeth than to be burdened with a one-ounce knife; and a kid can be expelled or even arrested for bringing even a tiny pen knife to school...
 :rant:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: August 08, 2014, 11:39:20 AM
[...] to the general expectations that everything will be easy-open or pre-cut; it is better to attack a stubborn package with keys, ball-point pens, or teeth than to be burdened with a one-ounce knife; and a kid can be expelled or even arrested for bringing even a tiny pen knife to school...
 :rant:

Easy-open: You will either tear the entire package apart instead of opening it, or it will already be half-open when it reaches you, causing any food inside to be spoilt.

Pre-cut: Let's take something which is hygienic and practical, make it impractical and less hygienic, and compensate with additives. Oh, and the slices are always too thin. ;)

OK, I may be guilty of some similar rants to yours... a few times.  :angel:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #63 on: August 08, 2014, 11:59:18 AM
 :whistle:
don-t-feed-the-troll_71697.jpg
* don-t-feed-the-troll_71697.jpg (Filesize: 12.58 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: August 08, 2014, 01:17:31 PM
Is our beloved SAK dead?? Has it had its day?
I just was in restaurant for lunch and what I saw made me think of this.

Next table: two office ladies one had her keys on the table and on it was a white classic
Two tables over: Some kind of handyman, had a SwissTool on his belt
Our table: Me, with Alox MiniChamp, my GF has a Soldier & a Classic in her purse...

So at least here in Switzerland I think SAKs are still going strong.
BTW: Every person in my office carries a SAK ;)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #65 on: August 08, 2014, 01:54:39 PM

Next table: two office ladies one had her keys on the table and on it was a white classic
Our table: Me, with Alox MiniChamp, my GF has a Soldier & a Classic in her purse...

OK, Switzerland can't really compete with others... :whistle: ;)

It's really cool to see people traditionally embracing their "national"/home-made iconic, ingenious product.
And Switzerland is a nice example of people having knives and firearms at hand, yet almost never using them to commit a crime.
It's the healthy personal upbringing and the healthy mutual values that shape a society like that.
It's the mind that kills, not the knife itself.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #66 on: August 08, 2014, 05:04:46 PM

Yeah, but... I mean... aren't Swiss Army Knives issued to you guys at birth? :D

Ohh... hey... That's not a bad idea... :dd:

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #67 on: August 08, 2014, 06:55:31 PM

Yeah, but... I mean... aren't Swiss Army Knives issued to you guys at birth? :D

Ohh... hey... That's not a bad idea... :dd:

SAKs given at birth? Great idea!  :salute:

Preparing the new "homo helveticus sapiens" for the life challenges  :SAKnight:

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #68 on: August 08, 2014, 08:00:41 PM
I tI think they are still really useful, of course now there are tons of bottle with twist openers, and cans with pull tabs, but there are ones that not, the other day I broke one pull tab of a can, gladly I have my Vic with me. I don't drink wine but my wife does so time to time the CS is useful. I know many people who has saks in their pockets, even saw a couple in the subway with leather pouches on their belts.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #69 on: August 08, 2014, 08:22:31 PM
I think one of the things I love about SAKs is that, at least for the models with a few layers, you DON'T notice how many people have them.

While it's not exactly representative, I worked for the Census Bureau back in 2010, and like every guy in that office had a pocket knife. We had to break down a bunch of cardboard boxes one day, and the boss (a mid 50s lady) asked if we needed box knives.

There was a chorus of 'nah', and eight older fellows, ranging 40s to 60s, ALL pulled out pocket knives. A few were SAKs. Mine, of course, was a SOG Crosscut. Not a fancy, flashy, tacticool knife amongst them. Just little utility blades.

I think they'll live on. I HOPE they will.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #70 on: August 08, 2014, 11:06:24 PM
I confess I'm not currently carrying a SAK.  I decided I wanted "half-decent" pliers.   UK carry rules require non-locking blades so I carry a Juice S2.

Before starting this post I checked up my Super Tinker and Evo 16.  Beautiful.  My SAKs are not dead.

Interestingly in a Forum here I spend more time in there is continuous debate about "best 4 inch MT".  The carrying of a scissorless MT is defended by saying "I also carry an SAK", so clearly the SAK is not dead.  Not every 4" MT has an awl.  Not such a common argument but I vote for an awl ahead of a precision screwdriver.  The SAK is not dead if an awl is wanted and an MT is awlless.

My point is I wish Victorinox would give some thought to the design of "sexy" i.e well designed, standalone pliers, rather than cramming puny pliers into an excessively thick SAK.

And when the inevitable happens and a backspring on my Juice S2 fails, one of my non-dead SAKs will return to my pocket.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:11:50 PM by pingu »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #71 on: August 09, 2014, 02:13:22 AM
I confess I'm not currently carrying a SAK.  I decided I wanted "half-decent" pliers.   UK carry rules require non-locking blades so I carry a Juice S2.

Before starting this post I checked up my Super Tinker and Evo 16.  Beautiful.  My SAKs are not dead.

Interestingly in a Forum here I spend more time in there is continuous debate about "best 4 inch MT".  The carrying of a scissorless MT is defended by saying "I also carry an SAK", so clearly the SAK is not dead.  Not every 4" MT has an awl.  Not such a common argument but I vote for an awl ahead of a precision screwdriver.  The SAK is not dead if an awl is wanted and an MT is awlless.

My point is I wish Victorinox would give some thought to the design of "sexy" i.e well designed, standalone pliers, rather than cramming puny pliers into an excessively thick SAK.

And when the inevitable happens and a backspring on my Juice S2 fails, one of my non-dead SAKs will return to my pocket.

To be fair, Wenger has made several versions of SAKs with full sized pliers, from the SwissGrip, to the mini SwissGrip to many of the Ranger series

For me, the Vic Farmer has no unused tools.  I use every single one of the them multiple times a week.  Of course, I live on a horse farm, and there's always something that needs doing.  ;)

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #72 on: August 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Your GF carries a Soldier on her purse every day?!  :o
Can I meet her?! :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #73 on: August 09, 2014, 03:38:37 PM
To me, I think it depends on the social setting you're in.  Now more than any time in the past, a large portion of the population is essentially helpless in terms of physical skills.  They may be able to manage their electronic devices, but they have no ability or interest in learning skills required for even the simplest fixes.  I see it in my own kids and their friends.  They're more than happy to pay someone else to put a license plate on their car, hang a picture or God forbid have to replace a light or outlet. 

That's why there are pull top cans.  No one has to know how to open a can with a can opener.  Same for twist off bottles.  Progress?  Maybe.  Personally I like to have a diverse skill set.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #74 on: August 09, 2014, 03:41:18 PM
To me, I think it depends on the social setting you're in.  Now more than any time in the past, a large portion of the population is essentially helpless in terms of physical skills.  They may be able to manage their electronic devices, but they have no ability or interest in learning skills required for even the simplest fixes.  I see it in my own kids and their friends.  They're more than happy to pay someone else to put a license plate on their car, hang a picture or God forbid have to replace a light or outlet. 

That's why there are pull top cans.  No one has to know how to open a can with a can opener.  Same for twist off bottles.  Progress?  Maybe.  Personally I like to have a diverse skill set.

it is a sad trend,

My boss paid Sears $400 to come to his house and replace the spark plug in his riding mower   :facepalm:
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #75 on: August 09, 2014, 03:41:48 PM

+100!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #76 on: August 09, 2014, 03:42:55 PM

+1 People are getting stupider  :(
SAW

us Offline Saluki

Reply #77 on: August 09, 2014, 04:46:30 PM
I personally hate pull top cans.  I find them somewhat dangerous.  I cut myself on one a couple of years ago.  I pulled on the lid and it didn't open.  I pulled a little harder, and it still didn't open.  So, I pulled a little harder yet.  It gave way suddenly, and the lid tore off very abruptly.  My arm recoiled in the process and somehow sliced my finger.  I am still not sure exactly what happened.  It was a minor cut, but it soured me on the whole idea of pull top cans.

I find myself frequently using the tools for things other than their intended purposes, such as prying, scraping, drilling, etc.  For example last year during a winter storm, my mailbox blew open and freezing drizzle coated the lip around the door and the latch with ice so that it wouldn't close.  I noticed it as I was leaving for work, and didn't want to leave it in that condition for fear that my mail would blow away.  All I had on me was my Pioneer.  I used one of the flat screwdrivers as an ice chipper, and it worked great.

While it is true that people don't carry pocketknives in general as much as past generations, there must still be a market for SAKs.  While I rarely see people with them, Victorinox boasts producing 34,000 per workday.  Also all the major big box stores here in the US stock them, so somebody must be purchasing them still.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: August 09, 2014, 05:43:51 PM
I personally hate pull top cans.  I find them somewhat dangerous.  I cut myself on one a couple of years ago.  I pulled on the lid and it didn't open.  I pulled a little harder, and it still didn't open.  So, I pulled a little harder yet.  It gave way suddenly, and the lid tore off very abruptly.  My arm recoiled in the process and somehow sliced my finger.  I am still not sure exactly what happened.  It was a minor cut, but it soured me on the whole idea of pull top cans.

I find myself frequently using the tools for things other than their intended purposes, such as prying, scraping, drilling, etc.  For example last year during a winter storm, my mailbox blew open and freezing drizzle coated the lip around the door and the latch with ice so that it wouldn't close.  I noticed it as I was leaving for work, and didn't want to leave it in that condition for fear that my mail would blow away.  All I had on me was my Pioneer.  I used one of the flat screwdrivers as an ice chipper, and it worked great.

While it is true that people don't carry pocketknives in general as much as past generations, there must still be a market for SAKs.  While I rarely see people with them, Victorinox boasts producing 34,000 per workday.  Also all the major big box stores here in the US stock them, so somebody must be purchasing them still.

Agree with this!^

But.. I think that Victorinox needs to consider a revamping of the lineup. With pull tops and twist offs becoming more popular, and the universal use of phillips screws, maybe a tool change is needed?

But…also like Saluki, I end up using the SAK tools for many other things than they were designed for. Staple removal, light pry use, boring a starter hole for a wood screw. The pioneer/farmer is a great SAK that has many other uses than you would expect from the tool choice, due to the tools being able to be used for other things that a thumb or knife blade of a regular pocket knife is capable of.

I'd love to see a modern pioneer with instead of the bottle opener/screw driver, a combo tool like on the rambler with a dedicated phillips/bottle opener. Or a pioneer with scissors or small pliers.

A man can dream, right? :D
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #79 on: August 09, 2014, 05:45:01 PM
How can the SAK be dead...when it was never alive to begin with?  :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #80 on: August 09, 2014, 05:48:56 PM
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #81 on: August 09, 2014, 05:56:17 PM
Someone mentioned the idea of a package opener. I think that would make a great addition to my SAK. :tu: How about also a long screwdriver/pry device?
SAW

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: August 09, 2014, 10:22:44 PM

Yes, send us two plane tickets Zurich-Mexico-Zurich :pok:
Its technically my Soldier, you know after your fist week in the Military, you go home, give the Soldier to your GF and then on Monday report it lost :D

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #83 on: August 11, 2014, 07:57:58 AM

Its technically my Soldier, you know after your fist week in the Military, you go home, give the Soldier to your GF and then on Monday report it lost :D

Then it doesn't count. I thought she was carrying the Soldier out of her own conviction. Sorry, you just lost those two airplane tickets and the chance to spend some great time in the Riviera Maya.  :cry:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:59:29 AM by ebarberena »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: August 11, 2014, 09:11:00 AM

Then it doesn't count. I thought she was carrying the Soldier out of her own conviction. Sorry, you just lost those two airplane tickets and the chance to spend some great time in the Riviera Maya.  :cry:
:rofl: You obviously never tried to take something back from your GF once it has entered her purse... Good luck with that :P

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: August 11, 2014, 09:34:03 AM

:rofl: You obviously never tried to take something back from your GF once it has entered her purse... Good luck with that :P

+1  The airport security at the walkthrough gate backed down and let her through with a Flair.

tw Offline error406

Reply #86 on: August 11, 2014, 11:30:13 AM
Main Blade...Kept @ 40 inclusive for normal cutting
Small Blade...Kept @ 20 inclusive when the need for a small precision cut is needed. Doesn't happen that often, but when the need arises it's like a godsend.
Screwdriver with bottle opener...I regularly need to use the screwdriver quite a lot, from scratching those silver things that's on lottery tickets to opening pull top cans since I keep my nails very short.
Can opener...Canned goods from surplus stores require a can opener, commercial ones that are brought in stores break easily.
Corkscrew...Good wine only comes in corkscrewed glass bottles.
Awl...Used it from time to time, been using it for the past two months to make flea traps from old cans.
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
-Desiderius Erasmus

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: August 11, 2014, 12:37:09 PM
Of course the SAK is dead...

Along with the internal combustion engine,rock'n'roll,my love life.... :think:

Well,two out of three ain't bad :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #88 on: August 11, 2014, 12:52:08 PM
Of course the SAK is dead...

Along with the internal combustion engine,rock'n'roll,my love life.... :think:

Well,two out of three ain't bad :tu:

Glad you're back.  :tu:  If the SAK is dead then its your fault.  :twak:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #89 on: August 11, 2014, 02:09:52 PM
Not dead, but I reckon it needs re-thinking.  If they replaced the can opener with a Phillips I'd be happy - but I'd also like a pair of scissors as standard (which should have the small flat driver on the back instead of the parcel hook).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%