Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Topeak Mini 6, bike tool

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Topeak Mini 6, bike tool
on: August 07, 2014, 05:11:22 PM
Today I received my new toy - a very small multitool, designed specifically for bicycles. The name is as obvious as it gets: It's a miniature tool, with 6 functions. No surprise there. The tools are comprised of Allen keys in 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 mm sizes and a single Philips screwdriver, which I think is a #1, although I'm not sure.

It even comes with a small keyring; luckily, this isn't counted as a seperate tool/function, like some companies do...  ::)

For a fair test, I decided to try it out while assembling a new bicycle and while adjusting the gears on my own bike. Of course this tool can't replace a complete workshop or a proper Allen key with a T-handle, but for things like adjusting the seat, tightening a brake cable or loosening a gear cable, it's adequate. In my opinion, there's no doubt that it's been designed to be with the rider on the trips, for small repair/adjustments; due to the small size, it can be hard to get enough leverage on screws and bolts.
Luckily, they've adressed this issue in the production; instead of indents or specific angles where the tools "lock up", they're moving loosely on the pivot, making it possible to keep the rest of the tool at an angle - if you also unfold the tools on the other half, you actually get about 50-60% more handle, making it alot easier to loosen those tight bolts.

Sizewise, the name "Mini 6" really matches the tool. When I first saw it, I was kinda disappointed with the size - I knew it would be small, but not that small. Luckily, the tool has grown on me and the small size has its advantages, compared to full-size "real" tools.

Compared to a Squirt P4, you actually get just about the same handle length, when you unfold the unused tool side.

As you might be able to see on some of the pictures, the paint is unfortunately not that good - after using it on 2 bikes, for a total "action time" of about 10-15 minutes, the paint already started scratching off; that's real unfortunate, cause in my opinion a tool as this deserves some advertisement on it.

Pro:
- Small and lightweight (4,8 cm/1,9" in length, 2,8 cm/1,1" wide and 1,8 cm/0,7" in height and only 58 grams/2,04 oz)
- Precise tools
- Tools can be used at all angles

Cons:
- Paint scrapes off too easily
- Tools on one side loose after less than 6 hours of ownership
- A bit too short for proper leverage

Conclusion: If you're a casual bike-rider and want a small tool to keep in a bag on your bike, along with a spare tube, this is a good bet - if you're gonna use it for extended work, I'd recommend the Topeak Mini 6 Long; the tools are exactly the same, but total length is increased from 4,8 cm/1,9" to 6,6 cm/2,6". If you're a more serious rider, take a look at Topeak's site; they've got a lot of great multitools for the bike-rider.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Topeak Mini 6, bike tool
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 06:30:20 PM
I have one of those. No idea where it is at the moment but it was a great EDC companion tool.

I'd like to see more standard EDC type tools will Allan wrenches.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 06:31:55 PM
I've got one and there a brilliant bit of kit for your edc :)

Bloody good review mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:35:46 PM
I have one of those. No idea where it is at the moment but it was a great EDC companion tool.

I'd like to see more standard EDC type tools will Allan wrenches.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Considering the fact that I hate walking back and forth every time I need a different size Allen wrench, there's a good chance that more reviews will soon follow. ;) For now, I'll carry this with me for a few weeks and see how well it holds up. Just gotta decide whether it should replace my folding knife or Squirt P4...  :think:

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:47:58 PM
Pretty sure the Philips is a #2, but often it'll work in #1 screws too.
This seems to confirm it.
http://www.rei.com/product/851432/topeak-mini-6-multitool?s_kwcid=shx7ZzjzX_dc|pcrid|34212907325|pkw|topeak%20mini%206|pmt|e|google|main&gclid=Cj0KEQjwx4yfBRCt2rrAs-P5vtkBEiQAOdFXbY9Y5_1_aPez-Ui6gqWRQLsg2LOL-NkV_HamQJ6PjMQaAmGP8P8HAQ

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:13:43 PM
Pretty sure the Philips is a #2, but often it'll work in #1 screws too.
This seems to confirm it.
http://www.rei.com/product/851432/topeak-mini-6-multitool?s_kwcid=shx7ZzjzX_dc|pcrid|34212907325|pkw|topeak%20mini%206|pmt|e|google|main&gclid=Cj0KEQjwx4yfBRCt2rrAs-P5vtkBEiQAOdFXbY9Y5_1_aPez-Ui6gqWRQLsg2LOL-NkV_HamQJ6PjMQaAmGP8P8HAQ

I think that's the first place I've seen, where they actually know what size the screwdriver is - it isn't even mentioned on Topeaks own site; it just says "screwdriver".

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%