Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone switch from Surge to ST300?

ca Offline b_martin

Anyone switch from Surge to ST300?
on: May 30, 2020, 05:01:39 AM
Hey everyone, I have a Surge and I'm just wondering if anyone has switched to a ST300 after having a Surge. I'm not completely happy with my Surge, and have been eyeing up the ST300. Don't get me wrong, the Surge is nice, but it's pretty heavy on the belt, and the frame lock isn't really the safest lock up. I have a PST, I just don't like that nothing locks, no saw and it's a little small for my hands.

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Anyone switch from Surge to ST300?
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 09:56:16 AM
Gotta admit i prefer much more ST300 than Surge. I have used both and i use ST300 much more, and when im getting ST300m model i think it gonna replace fully Surge.

Only Tools Matters

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 01:46:41 PM
 :iagree:

The Surge is a beast and a great MT but for me the Supertool is a better all around tool.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 04:18:18 PM
The ST300 was the first MT I actually used. It rode on my hip for work and home tasks. I still use it but not as frequently since retirement. 

After a Surge challenge a couple years back I was sold that a Surge could work. I acquired a SS model, just could not adapt, even tried a 30 day challenge to see if a romance would blossom. But no, it did find a place in my camp kitchen.  It is like a kitchen junk drawer    Of gadgets whet in at the campsite. 

The ST300 and little brother, the Rebar, are my go to MT EDC. Also, have a OHT that I use for PT job because of spring loaded pliers.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 04:41:06 PM
Of course, these days, I find my Rebar can do most of the stuff I used to carry a heavy-duty model for; and it is pocketable, and unnoticeable if I got with belt carry. Thus, it's what I typically carry.

The Surge, in my rotation, is a different animal than the whole rest of my Leathermen. It has big, outside opening blades. I will say that the Surge has the biggest blades of the MTs I currently use regularly.  It has the saw exchanger allowing me to break the bounds of the wood saw only, and use any T-Shank jigsaw blades I can find. And, if I wear out the diamond file, I can simply replace it. Mess up a ST300 or Wave file, and it's a warranty claim. My Surge is older (0214/0314; thus early 2014 construction), thus it has the Core plier head. For finer, hobby-type tasks, this is much better than the heavy duty ST300 pliers. Those are better when I need hard work.   

So, let's talk about what I hate. The Surge (and my Wave) hurt when using any of the outside tools with any force. The spines of the blades dig into my hand. The ST300 and Rebar are very comfortable for extended hard use, whether it be drivers, blades, or pliers.   The Wave and Surge both use bit drivers. My ST300 and Rebar have fixed drivers, but I can always fit the removable bit adapter, and then the bit I need to actually use if it isn't a slotted or #2 Phillips.  Losing bits is a pain in the backside. And the stock driver has pretty much zero reach.  The saw blade on the Surge is shorter than both my ST300 and Rebar due to having to fit in the exchanger.  Not to mention, despite my inital dislike of replaceable cutters; if something too hard is cut, dinging your cutters (which is next to impossible; unless you get bad cutters; which I did after some moron borrowed and broke my ST300's pliers; and it seemed the pliers and cutters they installed were rejects from the assembly line--I swapped the cutters for a new set; and there was no issue there). My Surge has the regular cutters, being as it still has the older Core pliers.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:28:07 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 06:28:23 PM
Both have pluses and minuses but I love both of them :D I would say I have used the Supertool series way more in the overall but I do use my Surge quite often as well. Sorry for not helping with your question ::) :D

ca Offline AndyS

Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 06:43:38 PM
I would say buy one, and then make a comprehensive write-up comparing and contrasting the features in a thread with lots of pics.

:D

ca Offline b_martin

Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 09:02:20 PM
I would say buy one, and then make a comprehensive write-up comparing and contrasting the features in a thread with lots of pics.

:D

Lol easier said than done. I would have to sell one to get the other  :P

And thanks for all the information everyone!

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

• Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 05:47:55 AM
I like 'em both.  Surge is a bit more expandable tool wise, but the ST300 is lighter (but has always got the job I need done for me).  Honestly - same can be said for the Rebar when it comes to the ST300 so the the best approach is to own at least 3 of each.   ;)

Basically the answer to the question of Surge or ST300 is - "yes".   
They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 07:34:56 AM
If I had to pick those 2, itd be Surge. I dont mind the weight and prefer the outside tools. I did switch it up and throw in the ST300. My coworker tried both of mine and preferred the ST300. He now owns a Wave though.

ST300 is a great tool and I love it. I prefer the Surge though.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%