Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening SAK'S with Lansky

gr Offline Aleister

Re: Sharpening SAK'S with Lansky
Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 08:30:25 PM
I believe the best use of a sharpening system is to help the user understand the meaning of the feedback he receives while sharpening knives. So when he feels fairly confident, he can entirely switch to manual sharpening and continue improving his skills.

Now, for more kinesthetic people, a sharpening system might not be of much use due to their already increased hand skills. But, for "not so good with hands" people, I feel that a system can help speed up the learning process.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 10:43:32 PM
I've been practising with my Lansky 3 stone set - have now sharpened a Pioneer, a Spartan (both 25°) and a Skeletool (30°). Fiddly to setup, particularly on the Spartan but seems to give a nice consistent edge. I did the small blade on the Spartan freehand and that seemed to work well too. Will try a Sharpie on the edge next time and get the magnifier out to check the finish.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 03:06:28 AM
I do it all the time. Freehand.

I have up on the widgetty bits of the Lansky system years ago, but the stones are still good.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%