Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ISOTPPP: In Search Of The Perfect Pocket Plier

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
ISOTPPP: In Search Of The Perfect Pocket Plier
on: August 11, 2014, 09:40:47 PM
Well, let me start by saying that I believe the title is a bit misleading: there is no such thing as "The Perfect Pocket Plier".........however the acronym sure is catchy, and a little link-baity  ;)
What lead me on this search and brief overview? Well, I suspect I might be driven by many of the same urges that drive a lot of other MTO-ers, the urge to carry the most useful selection of tools (or tool) that cover the largest number of uses that each individual encounters most frequently, and to do all that is a reasonably compact and lightweight package that's easy to deploy/use, reliable, dependable, and delivers some difficult to describe, but, "pride of ownership". Sure, I could probably get most of my EDC tasks done with some cheap tool(s), but the rough edges, cheap steel, and overall lack of quality in the construction would lead me to wanting something aesthetically and functionally "better"

So, here are four of my candidate pliers, alongside a Leatherman Rebar for reference purposes. From top to bottom:
Channellock Ignition Pliers.
Knipex 5" (125mm) PlierWrench
Leatherman Rebar
Channellock 6"
Knipex Cobra 7" (180mm)

The first image, below, shows the various pliers in their jaws-closed position. As you can see there's quite a variation in sizes, yet even the largest--the Knipex Cobra's 7"--can be carried in a mans front pocket quite easily. I just slipped them into mine, and none of the tool shows at all outside of the pocket. Further, with all their rounded edges, even the largest carries quite comfortably

Here are a few measurements I took with the tools opened to their widest, along with my estimate of their build quality(5 best, 0 worst):
                                                Open width      Overall Length    Weight     Build Quality
Channellock Ignition Pliers.............0.5"...............4.75".................1.75 oz....3
Knipex 5" (125mm) PlierWrench.....0.875"............5".....................4 oz........5+
Leatherman Rebar........................1".................4".....................6.5 oz......4+
Channellock 6".............................1.062"...........6.5"..................5 oz.........3
Knipex Cobra 7" (180mm)..............1.5"..............7.25".................6 oz.........5

The second image, below, shows the tools at maximum opening.

The Rebar pliers were measured fully open just north of the semi-circular(ish) relief that most people might grip nuts or pipes with. It's an arbitrary measurement, I could easily be convinced it's not the most appropriate place to measure for various reasons, depends upon your most frequent usage I guess.

Some general observations: no surprise here, as the tools increase in size their open-capacity increases too. This begs the question, how wide do you need? In my case the sweet spot is around one inch. That handles most of what I might want to grip/hold on an edc basis. I'd be happy with the smaller 5" Knipex, the Rebar, or the 6" Channellock. Bear in mind though that there are some major differences in how those three work. The 5" Knipex has completely smooth jaws, and those are operated by a cam-type mechanism that generates far more force than any of the other pliers in this test, regardless of handle length. Knipex states that their mechanical leverage is 11:1, so, say 20 lbs of force at the handle end translates to a whopping 220 lbs of compression by the jaws!! That means that the small Knipex generate more compressive force than even the much longer handled 7" Knipex. Also, the 5" Knipex jaws remain completely parallel to each other over their entire range of motion. They can be easily used not just as a pipe-wrench, but also as an adjustable wrench, and as a pair of regular needle-nosed pliers. Used somewhat carefully, you can grip even damageable items without marking them, all the other pipe-wrenches have pretty deeply cut serrations in the jaws...be careful. Couple all this with the overall impressive build quality, and they are a standout. Not cheap for sure (mine were $42), but so nicely made, finished to perfection, almost jewel-like. You can tell I like them :) Compared to any of the other pipe-type wrenches in the review, and the others are not in the same league, only the other, larger Knipex comes close.

Conclusions: If you want a general purpose pair of standalone pipe-wrench, needlenose pliers that'll also work as an adjustable wrench, and are not afraid of spending some money, get the chromed Knipex Plier Wrench. The only real question then is.....is 5" the correct size for you. Knipex makes quite a range of sizes of this exact plier, from 125mm, through 150mm, 180mm and 250mm. I've never handled the larger sizes, and I have a sneaking feeling that I might love the pocketability of the 125mm pliers, but like even more the slightly increased capacity of the next size up. What to do? Well, like most MTO advice, maybe I should buy both  :) It also brings up the question of what to pair the Knipex with? Something Like a fatter Victorinox knife.....a SwissChamp, or a Ranger maybe? Or maybe another option might be a plier-less multi like the Gerber Multi-Lite, that covers the blade, scissors, and screwdriver needs quite comfortably?
Here's the product page.
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&groupID=1500%5C%5C

Having said all this though, I have to recognize the amazing combination of practicality, usefulness, and general multi-tooled goodness that the Rebar offers. It's really quite a deal. Overall, there may be no single answer to the perennial "What tool, or combination of tools, is best for EDC"? It's all so personal, and dependent on what specific tasks one is trying to accomplish. That there's no single answer is partly what makes tool collecting and using so much fun.
photo 1.JPG
* photo 1.JPG (Filesize: 290.44 KB)
photo 2.JPG
* photo 2.JPG (Filesize: 263.9 KB)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:22:45 PM by neillcurrie »

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: ISOTPPP: In Search Of The Perfect Pocket Plier
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:43:22 PM
 :worthless:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline neillcurrie

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 09:46:02 PM
:worthless:

Try again O Impatient One  :)
I just fixed the links.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:08:44 PM
Pics not working for me ...

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline neillcurrie

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:10:18 PM
I just fixed links again, refreshed the page twice, they work for me.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:18:23 PM
No pics here...

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:22:06 PM

Maybe you should logout of your google account, and reload the page. Then you see what we see.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline neillcurrie

Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:25:38 PM

Maybe you should logout of your google account, and reload the page. Then you see what we see.

Yes, weird. Works for me, but only sometimes.
Don't want to log out of google as I have all the 2 factor authentication to re-enter, and the passwords are very long. I just added the pics as in-line, but below the post.
Strange that this is the first time linking to a google-hosted pic has been an issue, even here on MTO.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 11:28:38 PM
Great, now I want those plierwrench things even more.  :facepalm:  Thanks for your words and pics mate.  :tu:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 06:02:25 AM
EVIL! EVIL PERSON! I'm trying to save money!

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 10:45:13 AM
EVIL! EVIL PERSON! I'm trying to save money!

You and me both mate.  :drink:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD