Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Space Shuttles on eBay.

Sags · 5 · 1358

us Offline Sags

Space Shuttles on eBay.
on: August 19, 2014, 06:38:46 AM
Just browsing, and it seems there is a spate of Space Shuttles on US eBay right now, all from Japanese sellers, all between $85-$100.  Pictures seem legit, but I'm wary because there are 3-4 different sellers listing them, all with the same pictures and descriptions, also the pictures are all stock photos, not actual photos.

I'm tempted, but something smells just a bit fishy.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Space Shuttles on eBay.
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:52:42 AM
That's a special version of the Space Shuttle that is currently made for the Japanese market. It adds the hook and small back-side screwdriver to the original version. Victorinox of Japan does a number of items that usually aren't available elsewhere. The surprising thing is its being offered on US ebay. Normally Japanese knife dealers won't export to the US.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:01:40 AM
I actually ordered one from a Japanese seller, and although he might be a little slow to send, it did arrive ok.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:16:26 PM
I always fancied a Space Shuttle - and just spotted these too, whilst browsing -
- I do like the inlay SAKs (Fisherman Grand Prix etc)

However I had exactly the same thought as Sags and was going to post a query in the fake SAK thread - Then found this.

Thanks Coloswiss -
You always find the answer on MTo !!!
Just for interest when you say Victorinox Japan - Are they actually manufactured in Japan, or still in Ibach and exported to J?

Only one question left - Do I buy? - They are not cheap!!

PS. If you want a laugh read the descriptions, there is a history of Vic, description of the knife etc etc all in very Japanese English.
Just one quote for your interest:
"For more than a century until today from its inception, Victorinox North Pole with explorers and astronauts, Everest, and and to the ends of the universe, in a variety of situations success for ."

Wow - I knew Vic SAKs had been all over earth and even into orbit of earth - But did not realise they had been out to black holes and other Galaxies etc etc until now!!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:15:13 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 10:13:47 PM
Victorinox Japan is like Victorinox North America; its Vic's marketing organization in that area. My understanding is the Japanese organization has a lot of local autonomy and regularly orders out special versions that aren't available elsewhere.

When I was in Japan last year I hit the Victorinox flagship store in the Ginza (basically a hole-in-the-wall). Picked up a couple of special items. However a number of items I knew about from online were not there. The staff's English was almost as limited as my Japanese, so no information was forthcoming  as to where I might find them.

The Vics from my Japan trip.

IMG_4874.JPG
* IMG_4874.JPG (Filesize: 154.13 KB)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:17:42 PM by ColoSwiss »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68