Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's a good small pocket screwdriver?

Quartz · 14 · 2011

Offline Quartz

What's a good small pocket screwdriver?
on: August 21, 2014, 06:19:30 PM
I often find I need half a dozen small screwdrivers on a regular basis, in addition to the usual SAK bits. A while ago I got a Vic Cybertool thinking it was just what I needed, but unfortunately not. Between the weight, balance, and off-center driver, I find it REALLY hard to mess with small screws without stripping or cross-threading them all the time. I've tried to pick up a few pocket drivers from various hardware stores, but none of them are quite what I want.

Anyone know of a dedicated driver with both the following characteristics?:

- I want it to fit in one of the many SAK pouches/pockets I have lying around, so I'm looking for something around the same size. That is to say, ~9cm long and ~2cm wide. Most of what I can find is longer or wider than that, even when fully collapsed.

- Has to include at least a PH1, PH0, PH00, PH000, T6, and T8. I'm OK with buying multiple different versions of the same tool to mix-and-match bits as long as I can these six bits all in the same tool at the same time.

The closest I've found so far is this family of HomeDepot/Husky models (http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100087664), but they're a good inch too long and there's not enough space in the handle to fit all the phillips and torx I want at the same time.

Help?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: What's a good small pocket screwdriver?
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:23:32 PM
I love my Kraftwerk set

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Offline Quartz

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:41 PM
Oh, there are plenty of sets like that for sure, in fact I have a couple. The thing is, I do a lot of business stuff. Suits won't take me seriously if have a 'batman belt', so I need to cut it down to the bare minimum (which right now is a SAK, flashlight, and hopefully a screwdriver).

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 07:18:19 PM
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:22:06 PM by enki_ck »

Offline Quartz

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:37:49 PM
Oh those are kinda neat. They don't have any of the precision bits I need, but I might pick one up anyway for my full-size tool bag. If I could find something like the rocket scaled down to the size of a SAK with precision bits, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 12:27:18 AM
I use a Victorinox Bit Wrench with a 4mm or 5/32 nut driver for working with the micro bits.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 12:33:24 AM
PB Swiss Tool (Awesome Quality tools) have the PB 53 Handle that can take various blades.

PB 510 Set (with handle 53)

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 02:44:54 AM
I find my Leatherman bit kit, plus the bit extender (as the handle) without having it attached to a Leatherman does the job perfectly. It all fits in one little Leatherman sheath too

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 06:17:06 AM
Descrete, hmmm? I've carried a Doc Allen Versadriver for years. There is plenty of room in the pouch for another rack of bits, in this case probably 4mm bits and an adapter (or 4mm socket with a tiny magnet added), but it really is improved by removing the generic drill adapter they include with a 2" 1/4" socket extender. When I carried it in my pocket with the included pouch, there was two bit racks, a dedicated pin vise/precision screw driver, my lighter and a few peices of heat shrink, all in  package maybe 2x3x0.75"

Since you already carry a SAK, you could also look at modifying a 1/4" socket to serve as a bit holder. There are threads around about people having done so, and most of the time it is set up to ride on the caplifter. like this one
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:23:40 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline Quartz

Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 03:41:21 PM
The PBXXX's look like they *might* be interesting.... I'm not sure I want to deal with something with its own carry bag though, I kinda wanted something more compact. And anyway, where do I buy these? Amazon lists one or two, but they're 'unavailable'.

As for the SAK+socket trick, I've thought about that before, but it won't do what I want. I'm still going to have the same weight/balance issues I did with the cybertool. And fullsize bits are too awkward to get into the tight places you usually find precision screws anyway. (This applies to any of the Rocket, Leatherman, or Versadriver style of driver). Again, I'm talking small electronics screws here, PH00, T6, etc. Not like wood screws. I need something with both a small neck diameter and a reach of at least an inch past the mount.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 05:02:42 PM
How about a precision watch driver set?  There are torx in the same configuration.  http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Screwdrivers-Bracelet-Jewelry-Electronics/dp/B005J3HB64

or

http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-MICRO-PRECISION-SCREWDRIVER/dp/B000F9CS1U/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1408805996&sr=1-4&keywords=precision+torx+screwdriver+set#productDetails

It may be limiting with how you want to carry ( vic sheath )  :think:.  Is there another way you could carry? 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Quartz

Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 03:53:27 AM
Ha, I actually already have that second one :)

As far as other ways to carry.... kinda sorta not really. I do have a tool bag that I keep a lot of junk in that's plenty big enough to hold whatever. The thing is, there are times where I can't really drag that along with me (or just don't want to, since I'll be on my feet the whole day). 90%+ of my day-to-day tool use can be handled by a SAK, penlight, and half a dozen precision screwdriver bits. I really want just a small self contained handle thing. Something that doesn't jingle when I walk, doesn't weigh hardly anything, and is discrete enough that I can bring it to a meeting or semi-formal situation without looking like an idiot. Ideally, I'd like it to live in a generic SAK-sized belt pouch that people won't really notice.

Those Home Depot mini drivers would be perfect, if only the bits were a little different and the shaft was shorter. I'm looking for something more along those lines than another kit.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 04:17:42 AM
:D

Offline Quartz

Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 04:35:50 AM
lol.

Serious question though: I've always been interested in that electrician's blade, is it actually useful? Same for the new vic mags- I have an older explorer with the old grey mag and it's mostly a joke, are the new ones better?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%