Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Remember the great can opener debate ...?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Remember the great can opener debate ...?
on: October 27, 2014, 10:28:37 PM
Well at the risk of Lynn and Whippy throwing warm dog turds at each other again  :P I'm going to declare something which I honestly believe to be true, and which may scupper future comedic debates on which opener is superior .... it all depends on the can! There, I said it  :D

I had a crappy store bought can opener in the drawer, which of course packed up on me, so I bought another of a different design. This one works well on some cans, but not on others. After being stumped on a couple of occasions, I decided to ensure that there was a SAK in the kitchen at all times to defer to when the going got tough .... then they started getting stumped occasionally too.

Now in the kitchen I have a standard store bought can opener, a Victorinox Skipper, a Vic MFV, and a Wenger Teton. This is basically so that whatever tin may choose to address me in hand to can combat, I can be sure of a suitable tool to decapitate it. Earlier today, I first reached for the Skipper to savagely slay a tin of beans, but it was a complete nightmare. The hook part just couldn't maintain contact under the lip. I switched to the much maligned combo tool on the MFV and the task was completed easily. I have done battle with other cans (of a different brand) a couple of weeks ago when making a big batch of chilli where the combo tool was rather ineffective, but the Standard Vic shone through. There have been other times when the Wenger ruled supreme.

I think if anyone develops a preference for a specific type of can opener, it's probably because they're tackling a specific type of can. As I am far from being a certified canologist, I have chosen to keep a range of soup liberators to emancipate my next meal from it's captor. Some people might say I'm a wierdo for having an array of can openers in my kitchen to tackle various cans - but then again I also have a range of different knives, pans, drinking receptacles, and other utensils .... so why not can openers. And if you ever declare one of the common SAK can openers to be ineffective or of flawed design .... you're probably trying to open the wrong kind of can  :pok: :pok:

Now I have discovered the key to overcoming even the most stubborn can (multiple openers), I must now find a way of diffusing the wrath of Lynn Lefey for making a mockery of her time trials  :dwts:

I will say however that there is one can opener, which so far has NEVER been defeated by any can that squared up to it, but I fear the truth of this may be too much for some of our members.  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh Those of you with a nervous disposition who might not be able to handle the shocking revelation of my undefeated can opener should look away now. Those who are brave enough to face the truth and discover the true champion in my eyes, click the spoiler below ...

Show content
The Bear Grylls Strata!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Remember the great can opener debate ...?
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 10:49:01 PM
If worst come to worst you can always go with what they used before can openers were invented, a hammer and chisel, or a hatchet. May be a bit messy, but they should open any can.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 10:51:12 PM
:ahhh
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:02:50 PM
Know what you mean re the regular Vic CO

Sometimes it just pushes the metal lid down without puncturing it and you can end up with just a slightly lowered lid!!
And you need something larger and longer/sharper to puncture the tin (initially - eg awl??)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 11:09:13 PM
If worst come to worst you can always go with what they used before can openers were invented, a hammer and chisel, or a hatchet. May be a bit messy, but they should open any can.

:tu: Copious amounts of profanities and brute force can overcome a multitude of problems ... and also make you feel much better about those that are insurmountable  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 01:45:28 AM
Loved the way you wrote that. :tu:

I too have encountered these so-called 'super' or 'hybrid' cans that have developed a resistance or immunity to certain kinds of openers.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 02:10:50 AM

:tu: Copious amounts of profanities and brute force can overcome a multitude of problems ... and also make you feel much better about those that are insurmountable  :D

Some years back I picked up an "Indiana Jones" pocket knife as a gift for my brother. While examining it I managed to pop out the scissors spring. A half hour later, after the expenditure of a fair amount of blood, sweat and profanity, I threw the #$&* in the trash.
images.jpeg
* images.jpeg (Filesize: 8.93 KB)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:19:56 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 02:57:21 AM
50ft-trad + Gerber doing something well + can openers = Nhoj running in fear

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21