Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review: EvoWood 14, a classy companion...

de Offline Thehunt

on: August 31, 2014, 04:33:29 PM
After getting a SAK for the little one (as seen here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,54038.0.html )
it was time to get a new one for myself  :climber:

After the Boatsman and the S54 it was time for something more...classy?
Being an officeworker, one can´t show up with a 12inch Machete, it has to be a little more subtle.
And chic has never hurt in the first place :-)

So, what to choose?
Wouldn´t wooden scales be nice?
I told you, the Huntsman is one of my personal favorites, so, maybe there is something along those lines?

Most of you will allready have guessed it, there is indeed :-)

Enter the EvoWood14:

Basically its a Huntsman shrinked down to 85mm-size.
Add some very nicely done walnut-scales and your done. Well, almost :-)

The scales are contoured and fit the hands perfectly. A little comparison shot with the new black Pioneer and the 2011 Limited Edition Damascus:

Here the contouring is clearly visible:

It adds a little width, but handling is more comfortable. Side-by-side with the Compact, a rather slim model:

Notice the new tang-stamping, stating the Wenger-heritage of the EvoWood14:

With the wood-scales you do loose the tweezers and the toothpick, but honestly, with those scales, I dont mind that at all. Do you?

The mainblade comes sharp out of box, as usual with all Swiss-made knifes. And ist small enough, not to scare the secretarys :-)

As stated earlier, the Delémont-Collection comes with a little more belly on the blade, as their Victorinox counterparts, and actually, I kinda like it.

Aside from the mainblade the scissors are the officeworkers best friend. Cutting packaging, envelops and all kinds of tape, the microserrations make quick work of all tasks at hand.
 Being a 85mm offspirng, the scissors are a hair smaller than their 91mm cousins:

Here is a close-up of the serrations:

Clean nails are a must in an office environment, so a nailfile comes in handy, luckly the EvoWood14 brings one to the party:

A little comparison, the awl from the Pioneer, the Huntsmans penblade and the nailfile implemented in the EW14:

The tip doubles as a small philips-screwdriver, as one wishes to do so.

The canopener comes in the Victorinox-variety, I have discussed that change bevore, I like it.

Seen here with its Compact brother.

The large screwdriver/bottleopener with his cousin, its just a tad smaller than the one from the 91mm-lineup:

Although the corkscrew would hold the miniscrewdriver, ist almost looks sacrilegious to do so...

Next to the corkscrew sits the awl, changed as well to the Victorinox-version:

I find this version to be more usefull than the older Wenger-variety, but to each his own.

The Victorionx-shield seems to be laser-engraved and is precisely done.

What a beauty:

With the EvoWood14 you get a classy Swiss Army Knife, lots of usefull features, and more than a handfull of style.

I like the Celidor-scales, but wood is and will be wood, its haptic qualities are unmatched. Wood is one of the materials that will never be replaced by synthetics. Its warmth, its reasuring stability and natural beauty will never fade.

So if your looking for your next SAK, dont look further.

Well, ok, look further, but give the EvoWood a second look, you will not regret it, I promise!

I hope you like what you saw, and as allways dont hesitate to ask any questions!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:36:10 PM by Thehunt »
M

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Review: EvoWood 14, a classy companion...
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 05:47:44 PM
Nice overview.  :tu:

I have the slightly older Wenger version, and it's a very nice knife to carry. I've not picked up any of the Delemont Vic's to compare it to yet, but I take your point on the Wenger awl. Having the Wenger can opener did overcome the lack of sharpness in the awl though in my opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, and there's some excellent pics there too  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 06:09:31 PM
I like wood :D
SAW

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 06:30:25 PM
I like the evowood but I wish it had the toothpick and tweezers like the wood scaled victorinox knives

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:10:05 AM
Whoohoo, did you notice your review just got posted on Facebook by Vic? https://www.facebook.com/VictorinoxAG/posts/10152609918017510?notif_t=notify_me
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

de Offline Thehunt

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 07:52:55 PM
Yeah, just saw it.
Thats an honor, to say the least...

Thats motivation for the next one....
Suggestions what to look at?
M

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 08:00:59 PM
Whoohoo, did you notice your review just got posted on Facebook by Vic? https://www.facebook.com/VictorinoxAG/posts/10152609918017510?notif_t=notify_me

:2tu: Nice work! You don't get much better than that. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD